Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how does the center ballast tank mount 2006 LSV

The center ballast tank in my LSV is free floating, pretty sure it is not supposed to be.  As you can see it shifted far enough back to dislodge the bilge pump, cover the bilge drain and smash one of the ballast pumps.  This was empty...thankfully.  I do not see anything that held the tank in place, no broken brackets, etc.  Are these glued down at the factory?

20200216_134034.jpg

20200216_134046.jpg

Aluminum "L" shaper brackets screwed into the tanks, cast in nuts and then either screwed or glued to the floor or the vertical part of the Fibecs. Same for the bilge pump. I have seen a combination of both on my '10 and my '19. The rear bilge pump was glued down on the 10 and the front one is screwed down to the deck with what appears to be 1/2" wood screws on my '19. :Doh:

These 5922e7c6b281a_image_url-14628-13582778941.jpg.ba5679a461f441b7e42f82047d81c47b.jpg
The fuel tank brackets were twice as thick as the ones for the ballast tanks. These brackets weren’t screwed into the gas tank. The tank is just resting against them. All of the ballast tanks  rackets were screwed into the tanks.

Edited by wdr

so the center ballast tank mounts are just thin angle aluminum.  they clearly ripped their screws out of the stringers.  My thought is to use something much taller to spread that load.  Is there point in the attachment to the ballast tank?  So long as there is something solid screwed into the stringer it should stay put, right?

20200307_153957.jpg

20200307_154012.jpg

20200307_154013.jpg

Find the easiest aka most accessible point to attach the brackets to the side of the Fibecs and attach them. I wouldn’t worry about trying to get them re-attached to tank if there are cast in nuts. The brackets will most likely end up lining up with an existing hole and won’t be able to be secured to the Fibecs any way. If they do great. My 10 had a glassed in tube inside of the Fibecs that the battery cables ran through. I want to say the tube was glassed into the top portion of the Fibecs, BICBW. Going center mass of the tank to the Fibecs should clear any lines laying low or possibly some how secured up high like my 10 was. You can probably eye it to confirm. I would shove the tank forward, pad the tank to bracket contact point and screw it in and be done with it. JM2C Good luck. Bill