Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 25 LSV Trailer Ball Size and Height

Jeepman

@IXFE, please suggest to the trailer guys they do something about the top of the cross members that collect water, it always rusts out there, on every boat trailer i have ever seen. it frustrates me that my 2019 trailer is already showing this because it holds so much water in there, and no i don't have indoor summer storage for it, but it was stored at the dealer last summer.

Our 2019 25lsv trailer is also a 2" ball, with only dual axle.  I too was surprised its only a 2" ball.

Well that is about as good of a source as you can get.  I guess 2" is the answer.  Hey, look out for a black with red metal flake 25 LSV on black triple axle trailer while you are there!  My spray date is TODAY!

2 hours ago, asnowman said:

@IXFE, please suggest to the trailer guys they do something about the top of the cross members that collect water, it always rusts out there, on every boat trailer i have ever seen. it frustrates me that my 2019 trailer is already showing this because it holds so much water in there, and no i don't have indoor summer storage for it, but it was stored at the dealer last summer.

Our 2019 25lsv trailer is also a 2" ball, with only dual axle.  I too was surprised its only a 2" ball.

Sorry, I left before I saw this question. Would have been easy to ask too! Bummer!!  

The guys in the trailer plant are awesome! The main guy has been building boat trailers for 35 years. He was hired by Bu five years ago to set up the entire operation. 

28 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Sorry, I left before I saw this question. Would have been easy to ask too! Bummer!!  

The guys in the trailer plant are awesome! The main guy has been building boat trailers for 35 years. He was hired by Bu five years ago to set up the entire operation. 

Its cool. 

Why are you towing it back from the plant? i figured by now you get get complimentary helicopter delivery......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

That didn't happen to be Byron Wink, was it?  If so, Malibu hired a rockstar from the trailer world.

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

That didn't happen to be Byron Wink, was it?  If so, Malibu hired a rockstar from the trailer world.

Could be. I don’t remember his name. He said he built MC trailers for 31 years. 

Fun fact... this is the same guy who has brought us such trailer innovations as the integrated tool box, built in hand brake, depth alarm, and wheel chock. This guy honestly spends his time dreaming up ways to make our lives easier thru creative trailer design. Honestly one of the coolest people I talked to today. 

He was working on another cool trailer idea when I met him... 

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
14 hours ago, Jeepman said:

Well that is about as good of a source as you can get.  I guess 2" is the answer.  Hey, look out for a black with red metal flake 25 LSV on black triple axle trailer while you are there!  My spray date is TODAY!

If your spray date was yesterday he probably saw your boat, but in the mold still. Seems like they are coming out of the mold 1-2 days after the spray date right now. Yours will probably be pulled on Monday and then it will go quick from there!

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

If your spray date was yesterday he probably saw your boat, but in the mold still. Seems like they are coming out of the mold 1-2 days after the spray date right now. Yours will probably be pulled on Monday and then it will go quick from there!

You are right.  My dealer told me it would be about one week from spray date to delivery which is pretty impressive.  That's got to be a pretty streamlined build process.  I wish I could have gotten to the factory to see it but don't have the time for that right now.

I am a little surprised that the 2" ball is what Malibu is using on a 25 LSV trailer.  There are ball/mount setups with 2" balls you could buy at Wal-Mart or wherever that would NOT be safe to tow that rig with.  I've never seen a 2-5/16" ball mount that was not rated at least 10K.  Anyway, I guess we are just assuming that whoever is buying this kind of hardware knows enough about how to safely tow it to not kill themselves or others.  I'm sure that's a safe assumption.  wink wink.

26 minutes ago, Jeepman said:

Anyway, I guess we are just assuming that whoever is buying this kind of hardware knows enough about how to safely tow it to not kill themselves or others.  I'm sure that's a safe assumption.  wink wink.

Ok, this made me spit out my coffee.  Well played.  

bear in mind there are different grades in a 2" ball.  I needed one to replace one that was rusty (OCD engaged) and noticed different prices, started looking at specs and one was rated at 7500 the other was rated at 5000.  I noticed most of the drop/ball combos ALL had 5K balls on them.

4 hours ago, ilovetrains said:

bear in mind there are different grades in a 2" ball.  I needed one to replace one that was rusty (OCD engaged) and noticed different prices, started looking at specs and one was rated at 7500 the other was rated at 5000.  I noticed most of the drop/ball combos ALL had 5K balls on them.

I am willing to bet the majority of people towing 7,00lb + boats have no idea what their Balls are rated for!  I went out and bought a 7,500lb rated one when I moved from a 21 to 23 ft boat. It is 7,250 lbs ready for lake.

3 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

You’d almost have to try and get a 2” ball that was rated that low. 

I see quite a few at 5k. The size of the mounting bolt is the difference. If I remember correctly with a 1” shank they can be rated 10k 

14 hours ago, agarabaghi said:

You’d almost have to try and get a 2” ball that was rated that low. 

I just bought a new drop/ball setup for my Response yesterday.  The 5k balls are the most prevalent, and yes, it comes down to the shank bolt size.