Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 25 LSV Trailer Ball Size and Height

Jeepman

I have a 2020 25 LSV on order with triple axle trailer, 18" wheels, and surge brakes (not the electric over hydraulic option).  I just upgraded my tow rig to a new F-350 Diesel 4x4 and realized I now have to buy all new receiver mounts because everything I had for my earlier F-250 Diesel was setup for the 2" receiver on that truck.  The new F-350 uses a 2.5" receiver.  And the F-350 sits higher and will probably droop less under the tongue weight due to the ginormous rear springs so I'm thinking I need a few inches of drop on the ball for a level trailer frame.

So my question: what size ball (2" or 2-5/16") will my new trailer require and what is the top of ball height above ground for a level trailer tow on a 2020 25 LSV Triple Axle Trailer?

Class V balls/mounts ain't cheap, especially adjustable drop style, so I was hoping to get this right the first time with a non-adjustable mount but I also need it with me to go pick up the boat.  I can't wait to measure the actual trailer and my dealer doesn't have it yet so he can't do it either.  I'm sure they have a similar boat/trailer setup so I'm going to email them this question also but I figured someone here has the data I need.  The owners manual does not.  Thanks!

I have a 2019 25’ on a triple with 18” wheels and just took this same measurement for a friend. If you can get your drop to around 23” off the ground after loading the truck down you should be good. 

This pic was taken after using a level on the frame. 

It takes a 2” ball. 

B8A16B1D-968D-45AC-B0CF-6E0E69ADA0E2.jpeg

Thanks @G Spot!  That is exactly what I needed to know!  Kind of surprised it is a 2" ball because that load would be getting close to the reasonable limit of a 2" and the 2-5/16" seems to be a lot more common these days for 2+ axle cargo and flat bed trailers.  But I'm sure I'll need a 2" for other loads so I will have to end up with both anyway.  I remember when a lot of boat trailers used 1-7/8" balls.  Glad that size is dead.

@NWBU, thanks for the tip.  I have seen the sleeves but not a fan.  It just doesn't seem like a good place to have multiple parts rattling around under extreme loads when one solid piece will do.  I'm sure for this application they would work fine.  I found some 2.5" adjustable drop mounts with reversible balls for less than $250 on Amazon.  It might be the smart move to just go ahead and get a nice adjustable mount with both ball sizes and then I'm covered for whatever I want to tow.

27 minutes ago, Jeepman said:

I found some 2.5" adjustable drop mounts with reversible balls for less than $250 on Amazon.  It might be the smart move to just go ahead and get a nice adjustable mount with both ball sizes and then I'm covered for whatever I want to tow.

If you're going with a new hitch, I've been happy with my B&W tow and stow. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, NWBU said:

If you're going with a new hitch, I've been happy with my B&W tow and stow. 

I am on my second one I flat out wore out a 10k 6” drop row and stow. I still have it for emergencies,  but it sure is sloppy 🙃

I have been eying the weighsafe (thanks to @IXFE) and the Curt.  

You can get them without the gauge as well   

Weigh Safe CTB6-2.5-KA, 6" Drop 180 Hitch w/ 2.5" Shank/Shaft, Adjustable Aluminum Trailer Hitch & Ball Mount, Chrome Plated Steel Combo Ball and Key Lock with Matching Receiver Pin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYTVT7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_56ZxEb8SJZ983

CURT 45902 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount Black Fits 2-1/2-Inch Receiver, 6 Drop, 5-1/4-Inch Rise, 2-Inch and 2-5/16-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019HK6VMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_88ZxEbQJ8TCC7

I have a weigh safe hitch and think its great.  I also got one for my wife's ML400.  I really like knowing the tongue weight, especially on trailers with an adjustable load (flat bed and dump trailer, for example).  

7 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Anyone run that Gen-Y Torsion Hitch?  That also looks intriguing.  

I seriously looked at the Gen Y setup but elected to go Bulletproof and just bought another. (Previous truck had 6 " lift and this one doesn't).  I got the HD version which is rated at 22K lbs.  The Extreme Duty is rated to 36K.  I haul a variety of trailers and this hitch is truly everything I need.  It's got 2", 2 5/16", and I have the pintle attachment as well as the WD bar to attach to my Reese hitch for the camper.  I keep the main frame locked to truck and just pull pins for the attachment I need.  I do have another locking pin for the attachments if I'm in a sketchy area but usually just pull the attachment off and lock in bed.   I had a 10" drop on my last truck and now just have a 4" drop (2.5" shank) on the GMC 3500.

When I first bought the bulletproof, the only thing it wouldn't do was allow my WD hitch and I called them up and they said they were working on a solution and within a month, I got an email that the attachment has been added online so they will make anything and it's all done in the good ole' USA.

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8313.jpg

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I have been eying the weighsafe (thanks to @IXFE) and the Curt.  

You can get them without the gauge as well   

Weigh Safe CTB6-2.5-KA, 6" Drop 180 Hitch w/ 2.5" Shank/Shaft, Adjustable Aluminum Trailer Hitch & Ball Mount, Chrome Plated Steel Combo Ball and Key Lock with Matching Receiver Pin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NYTVT7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_56ZxEb8SJZ983

CURT 45902 Adjustable Trailer Hitch Ball Mount Black Fits 2-1/2-Inch Receiver, 6 Drop, 5-1/4-Inch Rise, 2-Inch and 2-5/16-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019HK6VMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_88ZxEbQJ8TCC7

I actually picked up a B&W today... 2.5” shank so it should match the receiver on my F-250. 

I like the Weigh Safe but this was easier for me to get the B&W locally (and get a bit of a discount). 

B0C68364-7E94-4CCC-8212-C1D104CA6F85.jpeg

• Like 2

I think the weigh safe is interesting but I’ve seen so many reports of the scale never working I have trouble getting motivated to buy one. 

my B&W has been great. 

14 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Anyone run that Gen-Y Torsion Hitch?  That also looks intriguing.  

I have kicked around getting one.  I agree, they are intriguing.  The only downside for me is I don't tow that much to make it worth it.  My boat stays on a lift in the lake.  I do tow my boat a couple hours away for storage and that drive sucks because of the terrible roads in Michigan.  This hitch would definitely help with the bumpy highway.

10 hours ago, IXFE said:

I actually picked up a B&W today... 2.5” shank so it should match the receiver on my F-250. 

I like the Weigh Safe but this was easier for me to get the B&W locally (and get a bit of a discount). 

B0C68364-7E94-4CCC-8212-C1D104CA6F85.jpeg

I tow almost daily. And almost everyday is a different trailer/ball/height. The tow and stow is so easy to change if you pull multiple trailers regularly. I never had to remove mine from the truck until I got my 25 LSV. All of my other trailers require a drop hitch. I need to turn it over because the hitch won’t go high enough, in the drop position, for my 25. 

7 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I tow almost daily. And almost everyday is a different trailer/ball/height. The tow and stow is so easy to change if you pull multiple trailers regularly. I never had to remove mine from the truck until I got my 25 LSV. All of my other trailers require a drop hitch. I need to turn it over because the hitch won’t go high enough, in the drop position, for my 25. 

I did some math before I bought mine (with the help of @G Spot). I think I only really need about 2” of drop for the 25 LSV (which I am picking up tomorrow). This is one of the reasons I only got a 5.5” drop on the Tow & Stow. I could have easily gotten more drop but figured I’d almost never need it. 

Also, keep in mind, my truck is lifted. 

14 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

The Gen-Y also looks heavy to lug on and off.    But it might be good for the dump trailer and flatbed.  

Look I interesting but HEAVY. prolly 35 lbs

So I emailed the dealer my original question about ball height and size on a 2020 25 LSV triple axle trailer.  The answer I got today: 2-5/16" ball size and use a 2" drop mount on a stock height F-350 which is what I have. Top of my 2.5" receiver tube is 23.5" above ground.  So bottom of ball at 21.5" is what he was recommending.

So this is interesting because @G Spot says his 2019 25' triple uses a 2" ball.  Maybe Malibu decided to up the ball size on the 25 LSV trailer for this model year.  Or my dealer got some bad intel.

If you think about it though, the 2-5/16 ball makes more sense.  Based on my understanding that 8K GTW is a hard limit for the highest rated 2" ball, it makes sense to use a 2-5/16" ball on a 25 LSV.  I would think the GTW on that rig would be close to if not greater than 8K since the dry weight of the boat alone is just under 6k, these are steel (not aluminum) trailers, and the boat can hold 550+ lbs of fuel.  The lower rated 2-5/16" balls are rated 10K and the higher end ones are rated 15k based on what I found.  The GTW limit per Ford nameplate printed on my F-350 receiver is 15k.  I don't have the heavy duty receiver, just "standard" towing package, thus the 2.5" receiver tube.  Heavy duty = 3" tube.  

In other news: The GCWR of a 2020 Ford F350/450 DRW is 45.3K ! That is more than half the max allowed GCWR of a fully loaded 18 wheeler without special permits.  It is crazy how capable these "medium duty" trucks are getting these days.

I should be getting my 25 next weekend if everything goes to plan so I'll post the final answer on the ball size/height off the trailer I get from Malibu.  

11 hours ago, Jeepman said:

So I emailed the dealer my original question about ball height and size on a 2020 25 LSV triple axle trailer.  The answer I got today: 2-5/16" ball size and use a 2" drop mount on a stock height F-350 which is what I have. Top of my 2.5" receiver tube is 23.5" above ground.  So bottom of ball at 21.5" is what he was recommending.

So this is interesting because @G Spot says his 2019 25' triple uses a 2" ball.  Maybe Malibu decided to up the ball size on the 25 LSV trailer for this model year.  Or my dealer got some bad intel.

If you think about it though, the 2-5/16 ball makes more sense.  Based on my understanding that 8K GTW is a hard limit for the highest rated 2" ball, it makes sense to use a 2-5/16" ball on a 25 LSV.  I would think the GTW on that rig would be close to if not greater than 8K since the dry weight of the boat alone is just under 6k, these are steel (not aluminum) trailers, and the boat can hold 550+ lbs of fuel.  The lower rated 2-5/16" balls are rated 10K and the higher end ones are rated 15k based on what I found.  The GTW limit per Ford nameplate printed on my F-350 receiver is 15k.  I don't have the heavy duty receiver, just "standard" towing package, thus the 2.5" receiver tube.  Heavy duty = 3" tube.  

In other news: The GCWR of a 2020 Ford F350/450 DRW is 45.3K ! That is more than half the max allowed GCWR of a fully loaded 18 wheeler without special permits.  It is crazy how capable these "medium duty" trucks are getting these days.

I should be getting my 25 next weekend if everything goes to plan so I'll post the final answer on the ball size/height off the trailer I get from Malibu.  

I would be shocked to see a triple axle trailer with 2" ball.  Hell my 03 25 lsv came with 2-5/16".  It is all about weight rating.  When I heard 2" I was scared for the long term strength of the trailer.  Not sure what the limits are but anything over 21' should be on a 2-5/16.

In 2018, one of the Malibu engineers told me the 2019 25 would be coming on a trailer with 2 5/16" hitch, however that wasn't the case.

Here's the ball I purchased. It has a 10k capacity. 

I saw my 2020 25' LSV with triple axle trailer the other day. It looked like it also took a 2" ball but I didn't look closely at that (it was raining pretty hard).

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 10.21.42 AM.png

I can also confirm my 19 25LSV on triple 18's has a 2" ball. I just measured my hitch from the ground to top of ball, I am set at 26". And When I picked up my boat a couple weeks ago I measured on level ground my trailer still set about an inch low in the front.

@IXFEPictures will be needed:yahoo: