Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exile ZLD and BT4 Install

statefan

I'm installing an Exile ZLD and BT4 in my 2011 LSV and while I get the general idea of what to do, I have a couple of specific questions that I'm hoping those who have done this before me can provide some guidance:

• Can I run my power and ground from the BT4 directly to the back of the ZLD and then run the braided power/ground/remote from there to an amp or distribution block? Seems that mounting the BT4 near the ZLD would be easiest but didn't know if I needed to run that power all the way back to the source as well to avoid any system noise while using bluetooth.
  • My boat still has the factory Rockford Fosgate black box with touch screen remote at the helm and one at the transom. I know those black boxes can be glitchy but I'm on the fence about bypassing it all together. Is there a way I should be trying to hook that AND the BT4 up to the ZLD? I assume it's as simple as running one of the long RCA's provided in the kit from the ZLD to the black box front or rear output. If true, then I would just need to pick one to be my "Main" source and the other to my "Aux". I guess the main benefit I see of doing it this way would be to allow me to use the already installed 3.5mm or USB inputs in my glovebox as a backup source as well as the transom remote in the rare occasion that I'd need them.

I might be overthinking this but like my other off-season projects, I'd like to get it done right the first time to avoid messing with anything once boating season starts up. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you might have!

I'm not an expert in this and some of the crew will be chiming in soon.  But I don't think you want to braid the power, ground, and remote leads.  I think this could cause noise in your system.  

As far your music sources, you can completely ignore the existing media source if you have no interest in tuner, USB, SAT, etc, but I like to retain it as part of the system just to make sure of its remote turn-on circuit. 

I have the same setup and no head unit (stereo delete/Deckless).  Best thing I ever did was get rid of that black box and all those wires.  leave the braided power/ground/remote, and yes you can tap off the ZLD with the BT4 as I did the same.  Run that power to a switch or your source head unit.  Two things you need to make sure, since you are adding components, AND if you get ground noise after, it is because all stereo components in your system need to be grounded in the same location.  If not you will or could cause a ground loop.  So while you are at this project, make sure the ground from the BT4 and ZLD go to the same ground as your amps and head unit if you keep that

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my install yesterday. I tried running one set of RCA's from the "Main" input in the ZLD to the rear output in the black box and connected my BT4 to the "Aux" input but nothing would power up. After messing with it for 30 minutes I gave up and just bypassed the black box all together and will just use the ZLD as my head unit with the BT4 as my main input. I also went ahead and wired the main remote for the system and power to the BT4 thru a switch at the helm so I can power everything up and down without turning the boat on if I want. Everything is working great so far and I'm pumped to use my simplified system this summer. Thanks for the advice, hawaiian!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 10:11 AM, statefan said:

Thanks for the advice, hawaiian!

Nice!  Enjoy your summer Sir!