Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to Replace Thermostat

Hi All - I need to replace the thermostat on my 2005 Malibu Response this spring.  I have an LCR 320 and have the correct gasket and thermostat in hand that I purchased from Skidim.  With that being said I'm trying to research on how to do this properly.  I've done some googling and tried to watched a few videos but I haven't found anything that seems similar to my boat / engine model.  Anybody have anything I should check out?  Also, which gasket sealant should I use?  I know that I'll have to use a chisel to get the old gasket off from what I hear but I was curious if there is more to the process.  It has never been changed from what I can tell.  I'm at about 550 hours.  Thanks!!

I have an '06 with the 320 LCR, and I just replaced my thermostat last April (mine was stuck open, so engine was not getting up to 160 degrees).

Which gasket do you have?  The reason I ask is that I searched this forum beforehand and was convinced all I needed was the 2 bolt round thermostat housing gasket.  So, halfway through the job, I had to run off the dealer to purchase the other, 3 bolt diamond-shaped gasket. 

The housing itself is in two parts.  The lower portion mates to the engine using the 2 holed gasket, but the upper portion requires the 3 bolt gasket.  The thermostat, at least on my boat, was originally positioned between the upper and lower portions of the housing.  Maybe there is some variation allowed as to the location of the thermostat, and maybe some have it in the lower position.  Your best bet, though, IMHO, is to be prepared and have both gaskets available just in case (they are only about $4 a piece). 

On the upper portion of the housing, it was, for me, necessary to disconnect the smaller diameter hoses.  It was a real PITA with a cold engine. 

After scraping with a small chisel and razor blades, wire brushing, and cleaning up the mating surfaces, I coated the respective gaskets with Permatex gasket sealant.  I then used a torque wrench  to secure the three housing bolts, with a touch of thread sealant on each, at 21 ft. lbs..

Hope this helps you. 

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/69885-replacing-thermostat-on-indmar-57l-which-gasket-do-i-need/

Edited by srab
adding link to previous post
  • Like 2