Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Replacement

What's everyone's thoughts on when to replace batteries?  Do you do it proactively, or wait until you have a problem?  If you replace on schedule, how long do you go?

My last boat I had 10 years.  I honestly don't remember replacing the battery, but maybe I did.

My 2014 still has the original Interstate batteries.  They have never given me trouble.  They are disconnected in the winer, and they (and the boat) stay in my heated garage.  I'm considering replacing them just because I don't want to have problems, but I also am not a fan of spending money needlessly.

Thoughts?

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it :salute:

If they hold voltage with no problem I wouldn’t worry too much about them. Not as if they’re a hard thing to come by and replace if they do go bad.

after 3 years, you can expect a replacement any time. Use and maintenance will also play a factor on how long they last. With a simple volt meter, you can measure the state of the battery. With the battery fully charged and the surface charged burned off, a good used battery should be 12.5 or better. 

Just an FYI, with the main battery switch OFF, this is basically disconnecting the positive cables from the battery. Nothing but the auto-bilge and an on-board charger should be connected direct to the battery. The auto-bilge should not have any parasitic draw, unless faulty. So no real need to disconnect any further cables IMO.  

I too have my original Interstate batteries in my 2011 VTX.  Last year when I was replacing batteries in the cars and motorhome, it got me to thinking that I still have the original batteries in the boat and wondering if I should just go ahead and get new ones.  I've never had a problem with starting, but sure don't want to be stuck out on the water with dead batteries.  I didn't get around to it last year, but thought maybe I should this year.  Still undecided, but leaning towards replacement.

I kept checking the discharge rate on the batts from my 2010 and never noticed an alarming difference so I just kept them until I sold it last year. The on board battery charger saved me a lot of money.

@RyanB If you bring them into an Interstate store they'll test them under load for free.  I brought mine in last spring and only one tested bad, so at least the guy I had was honest.

Well, I'm actually at Interstate battery right now - the battery in my Jeep (same year as my boat) died.

I'll likely just bite the bullet and replace them this year.  I don't want to be stranded out on Lake Powell with a dead battery.