Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Possible Power Wedge Issue

I was installing a FAE on my 2015 23 LSV today and noticed water coming from a bolt on the power wedge. You can see where it has ran down the bottom of the wedge. 

The boat hasn't been in water since September and is stored inside. I can't find a crack in the wedge anywhere. 

Thoughts? Concerns? Solutions?

20200229_150018.jpg

Edited by Kojak

A hollow stainless tube. I can’t remember if my ‘10 had an insert welded in sealing the leg where the bolt inserts into the hole or not. I am pretty sure it did to add strength and seal it up. That might have a crack in it allowing water in. It should be a cheap easy fix if it does.

22 hours ago, wdr said:

A hollow stainless tube. I can’t remember if my ‘10 had an insert welded in sealing the leg where the bolt inserts into the hole or not. I am pretty sure it did to add strength and seal it up. That might have a crack in it allowing water in. It should be a cheap easy fix if it does.

So I removed the bolt today and looked it over as best I could.  I still can't see a crack in the tube or insert.  I may just have to give my dealer a call and see what they have to say.

I can't think of a seal that would work well on a through bolt under shear stress.  When the bolt and bracket flex under load, the seal will leak.  It would seem much easier to just let it leak and drill a weep hole at the bottom of the tube.

As an aside, I'd coat that actuator with LPS-3 to help keep water out of it as well.

• Like 2

I spoke to the dealer yesterday.  They advised that it shouldn't be an issue.  The only problem I see is the water freezing inside the tube and breaking a weld or causing another crack.  So I'll either let it ride or drill a weep hole.

Thanks @wdr and @justgary for your responses.  I always appreciate the help you get here at TMC.