Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WDH Weight Distribution Hitch with Malibu Trailer

Raleigh

Does anyone have any experience with a weight distribution hitch with the Malibu trailer? Are there brands or types I should specifically look for or avoid? 

There is at least one system that claims to be compatible with surge brakes.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-119504.html

I have no experience with it.  And not giving advice, just making a simple observation.  When I walk through the parking lot at the boat ramps, I see a large number of tow vehicle/boat combos that, by vehicle manufacture recommendations, should require weight distribution.  But in my entire boating experience (which makes me feel like an old man), I have NEVER seen a WDH used with a boat.

9 hours ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Need for a WDH = Need a better tow rig. 

This is true. Round peg into a square hole I suppose 

Edited by Raleigh
1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

Sort of, but WDH can be needed for heavier loads even with a HD tow vehicle. 

If you want to get lost in the details, this thread was where I started my search.  WDH with surge brakes, with folding tongue can be done, but no one seems to.   I even called Malibu back in 2016 asking a bit about this and I may as well been speaking another language.

When we jumped to the 25LSV, our Expedition still towed it just okay, my F150 was noticeably better than the Expy, but neither were so confidence inspiring when my entire family was loaded that I felt comfortable.    And power wasn’t the issue - it was whether I felt I could safely stop the load in a panic situation, traveling downhill on a grade, around a sweeping curve.   Fortunately I never had to find out but I thought about it enough that a Super Duty is in my future now.     

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/general-nautique-discussion/453797-serious-thoughts-about-safe-towing-g-series-nautiques

11 hours ago, 1HELLUVALIFE said:

Need for a WDH = Need a better tow rig. 

1 hour ago, Raleigh said:

Not really.  But it does say a lot of how some (not all) manufactures under equip their vehicles with a "weak" hitch.

You can't tell me that a 150/1500 isn't able to comfortably tow up to a 23LSV - the 7000 pounds it weighs is a little more than half of the typical 1500's SAE certified tow rating.

And as an aside, I did read some of the thread that @hethj7 referenced.  Maybe they corrected their claims later, but the first few pages were littered with statements about "towing illegally".  The manufactures ratings are simply that, they do not have any legal bearing.  At least in Colorado (and everywhere else I have looked), you are not at risk of getting a ticket because you are towing your 7000 pound boat with a vehicle that is manufacture rated to tow less.

I asked Malibu directly 2 years ago.  Here is my inquiry and their response:

My inquiry: "We have a 2017 22VLX on a Malibu trailer that is equipped with surge breaks and a swing away tongue. Does Malibu approve of the use of a weight distribution hitch with this trailer? If so, are there any particular models that you approve of?"

Malibu's response: "Unfortunately we do not recommend using a set up such as that," ... "it will void the trailer warranty"...

While I was a little disappointed that the using a WDH would void the warranty; they were really helpful and responded very quickly.  Props to Malibu for excellent customer service!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Not really.  But it does say a lot of how some (not all) manufactures under equip their vehicles with a "weak" hitch.

It is not necessarily just the hitch.  The carry rating is also designed to prevent you from pulling too much weight off the front axle, which impacts braking and handling.  The WDH puts some of the weight back on the front axle.  The newer trucks all seem to be coming with higher carry ratings, however, which I suspect is due to better frames and towing engineering, but I don't know that for a fact.  

41 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

It is not necessarily just the hitch.  The carry rating is also designed to prevent you from pulling too much weight off the front axle, which impacts braking and handling.  The WDH puts some of the weight back on the front axle.  The newer trucks all seem to be coming with higher carry ratings, however, which I suspect is due to better frames and towing engineering, but I don't know that for a fact.  

Right, it might not be exclusively the hitch, but it does play a large part in the equation.  And actually, I would say it plays the largest part, as some of the more recent HD trucks actually have the same published weight limitations.

I had a 2003 Suburban 2500.  It had basically the same hitch that GM has always used on their SUVs, but it wasn't integrated into the frame.  I swapped it out with a heavy duty Curt hitch that had the same weight rating with weight distribution and weight carrying.  The Curt easily weighed twice as much as the OEM hitch.

I just don't get the WDH argument. If you need one you must not be confident in your vehicles towing ability, much less in an emergency situation. sure all modern suvs and trucks have the power to pull but can they stop the load. Last thing you need is a overloaded truck and the WDH limit the trailer braking ability. 

I have seen a fishing boat push a 1500 around in an emergency stop, couldn't imagine a wakeboat.  

short trips to the ramps are one thing, but longer tows, curves, hills. etc  id rather not have to pucker.  

Edited by 1HELLUVALIFE
10 hours ago, dlb said:

Listen to what Malibu says about a WDH and their trailers, it’s a no no. 

Get the proper tow vehicle.

This is good info, thank you! Agreed after review...