Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow tie-down strap?

formerathlete

It seemed a PIA to find anything for the new trailers...

Boatmate used to make them.....

Figured they are a copy of then anyhow.

My moomba trailer was a boatmate and I was familiar with how easy and good boatmate was to work with.....So I ordered safety strap and spare tire mount from them....I think they may have had the spare tire as well....

20191012_144825.jpg

On 3/31/2020 at 3:29 PM, formerathlete said:

Do you have someone at the winch that hooks it up after you power onto trailer? Or do you leave boat in gear, hop up front and hook winch to bow eye? Or do you back trailer deeper and float it up to hookup? I'm still trying to find the best method as I'm usually a one man show when it comes to taking the boat out of the water.

Our previous boat trailer had a boat buddy, so I'd just power up until it latched automatically and I was done. Then I'd secure the winch after I took it out of the water. Our dealer showed me that he just leaves it in gear, hops up and latches it while it's pushing against roller. I did that at one of our lakes last summer and the back of the boat drifted a bit to the right and the prop kissed the prop guard on the trailer, while it was in gear, which caused a tiny bit of damage to what's now the spare prop. After that happened, I stopped the 'keep it in gear while hopping to the front to latch' strategy. Now I end up powering up fairly close, shutting it off, jumping up to the front and winching it the rest of the way. Unfortunately, that puts a HUGE amount of stress on the winch and I'm just waiting for it to break one of these days. I'd love to back the trailer in deeper and just float it all the way forward to hookup but my truck is already deep in the water (water is almost halfway up rear wheels and exhaust tip is underwater), so I'm reluctant to back any further.

Needless to say, I need to find a better way. I'll likely just train someone in my crew on what I need them to do when I power it up, as it's not rocket science--but I hate having to rely on others and would love to know a better way that didn't require others to help and didn't stress the winch too much. I've also thought about buying a ramp n clamp but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Open to suggestions...

wife usually goes all the way up and latches it herself with engine still in gear holding boat to top

on launches she struggles with i climb into truck bed from running board to rear tire snd into bed and i line her up with hand pointing for direction of bow hook and then i climb from bed to tongue and latch it then climb back into bed then tire and  then running board 

• Like 1