Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Checklist (Launch & Storage)

lisonbeejk

While I have been on plenty of boats as a passenger, I am new to boat ownership and therefore new to being the one responsible to get everything set up and later taken down.  I am looking for some help with some sort of checklist when launching the boat and later taking it out and storing it.  My thought was to have a 1-pager that I could laminate and keep on the boat to guide us through the process of launching and putting the boat away until this becomes second nature.  I have a seen several options out there but they are pretty generic to accommodate many boat types so I was hoping someone had something for specific for Axis or wakesurf boats in general.  Thanks in advance!  

I’ll take a first stab from a veteran boat owner to get it started: (not a Malibu owner yet)

Before towing (if applicable):

- ensure tow straps are taught 

- ensure you have your keys

- ensure you have your safety gear 

- ensure trailer lights work 

- ensure your ball is properly seated in trailer hitch

- ensure your tow pin is in place 

- ensure tires have pressure 

Before putting into water:

- ensure plugs are in boat 

- ensure battery has power 

- ensure trailer straps are removed 

- ensure all safety gear is there 

- ensure parking break is applied

Before starting: 

- run blower

After session:

- pull plugs and replace once drained

- clean boat (at least a quick wipe down)

- ensure power is switched off to battery 

- ensure tow straps are in place 

Edited by Raleigh
On 2/18/2020 at 6:57 PM, Raleigh said:

After session:

- pull plugs and replace once drained

I agree with this list except for this part.  I always leave the plugs out until I'm ready to launch the next time to avoid any water accumulating in the hull but I don't have the luxury of storing my boat indoors.  I believe it is illegal in many states to tow with the plugs in place.

I'd also add verify ballast tanks/bags are empty before pulling the boat out or at the very least before towing a long distance.

8 hours ago, AzAxisA22 said:

I agree with this list except for this part.  I always leave the plugs out until I'm ready to launch the next time to avoid any water accumulating in the hull but I don't have the luxury of storing my boat indoors.  I believe it is illegal in many states to tow with the plugs in place.

I'd also add verify ballast tanks/bags are empty before pulling the boat out or at the very least before towing a long distance.

Why is it illegal to tow with the plugs in place? I've never heard that.

35 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

Why is it illegal to tow with the plugs in place? I've never heard that.

States that have issues with invasive species (such as zebra mussels) are trying to prevent them from spreading to other lakes/states. They don’t want you transporting them in your bilge which is why they require you to leave the plug out when trailering. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

States that have issues with invasive species (such as zebra mussels) are trying to prevent them from spreading to other lakes/states. They don’t want you transporting them in your bilge which is why they require you to leave the plug out when trailering. 

Exactly.  Here in the Central Texas area, we are struggling with Zebra mussel infestations.  TX Parks and Wildlife are urging everyone to clean, drain, and wipe down all boats at the ramp prior to leaving.  This is especially important with our wake boats, as we have ballast tanks that also need to be drained. 

• Like 3