Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaving Boat in Water

Quentamia

I'm certain this has been discussed, but I failed to find anything specific by searching the forums.

I'm considering renting a boat slip at Pineview Reservoir in Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineview_Dam) for the season, and leaving the boat in the water from approximately May to September. I know that leaving a boat in water for extended amounts of time can cause issues, so I'm trying to ascertain several things:

1)  Is there anything I can do to mitigate problems. For example, I'm looking at doing a ceramic coating.

2) From my research online, the composition of the body of water plays a huge impact. Does anyone have experience doing this at Pineview Reservoir?

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

I left my brand new 2019 25 lsv in the water at Lake Mead from June thru August and I often got paranoid, so I took it out every week or so to wipe it down. When it is sitting in the water, it is difficult to wipe it down, so that is why I pulled it out each week. I would not leave my boat in the water again because of the headache it was to keep it clean let alone the sun damage of being out in the elements daily. Plus, the wind would cause it to bang against the dock despite how tight it was tied down. Overall, it probably didn't do any damage that I cannot fix at the end of the season, but I was restless about it every day. 

While i have no experience with Pineview, we have been leaving ours in the lake from june through sept/oct for as long as we have have them. We have not had issues with any of our Malibu as a result. I do a good wax in rhe spring, and try to scrub off the scum every couple weeks, and pull it once in the summer to clean it and wax it again.

That said, on some of the newer boats i have seen some corrosion on the actuators for the surf gates that i wouldn't have expected. Ours doesn't have an issue with that yet.

If its old boat roll with it, brand new not a chance, acid wash end if year is your only hope. 

Make sure bilage is properly wired older boats have it linked to accessry switch and it may or may not be the auto float switch type so double check as u will seep a bit of water in over time, shaft, rudder, rain, other.. 

Rain is bigger problem, make sure u invest in a good cover or is in great shape, saggy cover will cause water problems. 

Also good bumper and tie up gear for sure,wind, waves are very damaging over even a little time

I'd try and buy a used lift if allowed to be used.. 

Depends what u can live with

Edited by The Hulk
4 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Make sure bilage is properly wired older boats have it linked to accessry switch and it may or may not be the auto float switch type so double check as u will seep a bit of water in over time, shaft, rudder, rain, other.. 

And your float switch can stick or fail, so I'd have someone check it if possible.  If your raw water intake has a valve on it, be sure it is off for storage.

Strongly recommend against leaving it in as can lead to osmosis (bumps) in gelcoat. While the condition is more prevalent in ocean boats in for extended periods there are multiple posts of ski & wake boats developing the same after only a few months. Mine did after only a few months in the water when I first purchased. After drying for a month and then sanding with 500 & 1500 and then polishing it's ok  - but I immediately installed a lift. I've read about it occurring on MasterCraft  COrrect Craft, and others.  Mine is a Hydrodyne.  Very unnerving to find a rash on the hull. Ever since if it's not pulling a skier it's in the air .       

I wouldn't do it without anti-fouling paint and magnesium alloy sacrificial anodes (fresh) or zinc or aluminum anodes (salt or brackish).  But since I wouldn't want anti-fouling paint on my boat, I suppose the answer is I wouldn't do it.  I am a big fan of ceramic coating, but I have no idea whether or how much it would help with fouling or gel blistering.  

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Preventing-Galvanic-Corrosion

We’ve had our last two new boats stay in the water with no problems fingers crossed.

I think it comes down to the water type. I come from cold clean soft water which really helps rather than dirty hard water. My current boat has spent two seasons April to mid October in the water. Scrubbing the waterline with a brush at least a few times a week and taking it out every month or so haven’t had to use any chemicals on it yet. And it looks brand new. 

Where as other people on the lake who don’t care for their boats have awful yellow lines, all comes down to how much work you want to put in. 

I have seen metal flake get a stain from sitting on various brands. Also I would recommend darker coloured hulls as well over traditional white.