Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 LSV 23 Stereo static sound

2020LSV23

ahopkins22LSV
On 3/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, ahopkinsVTX said:

@2020LSV23 was your static like an old school TV static sound? At first ours had nothing, but out on the water yesterday it started to sound like that. I would turn the stereo off and back on, it would go away and then come back in 5ish minutes. Didn't do it at all in the driveway, so I figured I would try on the water with the engine off, but it seemed to not matter.

Sounds like your dealer had to replace the black box and amps?

So we are still having this issue. Radio will play fine when the boat is first turned on and then after a song or two a constant “old school tv static” starts. Very noticeable at lower volumes like when idling around. If I power the stereo down from the control screen and then turn it back on, it will go away for a song. Then come back. I’ve tried different battery settings just to see. Doesn’t matter if I’m on 1, 1+2 or 2. Connections are all good at the amps. And no codes are being flashed when it does this. 

Anything else anyone can think to check? Tommy’s is closed in Michigan until probably May so if I can look into/do something in my own I’d like to! 

It also appears to only be the interior speakers so my last ditch thought is to just unplug that amp and only run the towers until I can get the boat in.

For what ever reason the stereo gods saw fit to remove the "crickets" from my system when I replaced the OEM tower amp with the new WS SYN DX 2.3 amp and the Exile interface cable.

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, wdr said:

For what ever reason the stereo gods saw fit to remove the "crickets" from my system when I replaced the OEM tower amp with the new WS SYN DX 2.3 amp and the Exile interface cable.

I’ve heard the crickets, what we are experiencing is not the crickets. This is a constant white noise that starts about a song into the outing. Then it goes away if I power the stereo down and then power it back up. Comes back after a song. This happens on all sources too. Well guess we’ve only tried BT and Downloaded playlists from Spotify through the android software. 

What little white noise I have is worse on the BT source. This has already been discussed in ad nauseum with out a fix so I won't :horse:. I just run it through the 3.5 cable and have learned to live with using the cable.

ahopkins22LSV
23 minutes ago, wdr said:

What little white noise I have is worse on the BT source. This has already been discussed in ad nauseum with out a fix so I won't :horse:. I just run it through the 3.5 cable and have learned to live with using the cable.

This is not little white noise... I’ll try to get a video today. 

ahopkins22LSV

Ok well my issue appears to only happen while the engine is running. Used the boat for a garage radio for over and hour today and no static what so ever. Suppose I’ll check ground connections and connections at the alternator. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Ok well my issue appears to only happen while the engine is running. Used the boat for a garage radio for over and hour today and no static what so ever. Suppose I’ll check ground connections and connections at the alternator. 

What if you power up the whole system but don't start the engine?  Is there a way to do that on the newer boats like putting the key to the "run" position?

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

What if you power up the whole system but don't start the engine?  Is there a way to do that on the newer boats like putting the key to the "run" position?

Have to have the whole dash powered up to turn the stereo in. The only next step is starting the engine. I found no bad connections today. Quite puzzled. 

how are your grounds? have you checked the main ground to the engine block?  I've never seen one that wasn't straight to paint.  You might also try re-grounding your headunit to either your amps' ground distro block or right to the negative battery terminal.

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I checked every ground I could find today and they were all snug and secure. I didn’t see any grounds on the engine block but I will look again. 

Stupid comment... found the engine block ground. It’s snug to feel but appears it could be “seated” a bit better. Will try to reseat and see if that helps.

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Remove and scrape it to bare metal?

Ugh, didn’t check to make sure it was seated on bare metal. But the grounds were definitely not seated well. They are all tight and flat now. Will see if that was it. Fingers crossed! Might have to run the boat on a fake lake to test though...

Our stereo is sounding great now but motor stopped starting hahaha 😂 

Our static was 24/7 once radio turned on. Didn’t matter which source or if engine was running it never stopped. Once new amps were installed the noise went away. 

• 1 month later...

mine will make this noise while the motor is running, turn the motor off the static stops, 

turn it up the static goes up

On 5/14/2020 at 2:36 PM, camcruiser13 said:

mine will make this noise while the motor is running, turn the motor off the static stops, 

turn it up the static goes up

Interesting issue. Brand new boat?

Take it to dealer for warranty.

Im thinking of creating a new forum "themalibuwarrantycrew.com" as our boat is always at the dealer for warranty :blush:

3 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Take it to dealer for warranty.

Im thinking of creating a new forum "themalibuwarrantycrew.com" as our boat is always at the dealer for warranty :blush:

I Feel your pain . My Trailer is high mileage and has more hours on it than my boat. . Starting our second season this week fingers crossed it will be better than last season .

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I have a problem with my 2020 Malibu MXZ when I turn on the stereo and play it for a while it has a static sound. When I hear the static sound, I’d turn off the battery switch and turn it back on then it goes away but it will eventually come back. I have replaced batteries and new amps. Do you have any idea why it is still having this issue.