Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 LSV 23 Stereo static sound

2020LSV23

Picked up the boat this evening and took her home. Played around with the stereo a bit but I’m hearing a fuzzy/static sound no matter which setting I scroll through. Radio/Bluetooth/USB etc. all emitting a static/fuzz sound in the background which becomes less noticeable as I increase volume. Has anyone else had this issue?

I would not say normal, I know the batteries are new and hopefully you have multiple.  Check to make sure that the batteries have a full charge.  Low power can be a direct cause of this problem, this solves itself when full power is delivered.  A stereo guru told me stereos dont just start sounding bad, something changed.  The newness here is a challenge but if not low power I would look at a bad tune, mixed up wiring to amp possibly.

When this happened to me on an older out of warranty boat, I was going to spend a bunch of money on new amps, could not understand why it sounded so bad all the sudden.  New batteries and bam it was perfect with no additional fixes.

Obviously let the dealer fix it, but you may want to check bat power if curious.  

Good luck

Edited by NHolladay
2 hours ago, NHolladay said:

I would not say normal, I know the batteries are new and hopefully you have multiple.  Check to make sure that the batteries have a full charge.  Low power can be a direct cause of this problem, this solves itself when full power is delivered.  A stereo guru told me stereos dont just start sounding bad, something changed.  The newness here is a challenge but if not low power I would look at a bad tune, mixed up wiring to amp possibly.

When this happened to me on an older out of warranty boat, I was going to spend a bunch of money on new amps, could not understand why it sounded so bad all the sudden.  New batteries and bam it was perfect with no additional fixes.

Obviously let the dealer fix it, but you may want to check bat power if curious.  

Good luck

Thanks for your advice. I’m going to call the dealer and have them look at it before I do anything more.

Could this be the standard white noise that comes with a high powered stereo?  Mine have all had a small hiss at low volumes.  It is not noticeable once volume is applied.  Hope this is the case with the new factory stereos.😎

10 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

all above will be glad to learn it’s the crickets they already know, there is no solution for it yet i believe 

So Malibu has no fix for this problem? I guess bringing it back to dealer is a waste of time then? Does Malibu have a direct phone number I can call?

Edited by 2020LSV23

According to my dealer there is now a software update which solves this , he has updated mine and he says it has solved it . apparently the boat has 2 bluetooth connections , it now only allows you to connect to the BT3774--------  Rather than your boat name , 

Picking mine up at weekend so will try it out.

7 hours ago, LucasC said:

According to my dealer there is now a software update which solves this , he has updated mine and he says it has solved it . apparently the boat has 2 bluetooth connections , it now only allows you to connect to the BT3774--------  Rather than your boat name , 

Picking mine up at weekend so will try it out.

We look forward to hearing your feedback once you try it out thanks!

• Like 1

interesting and sometimes when you have hissing or static it could also mean moisture in the RCA lines or one of the components like an amp/EQ etc..  The other root cause is that the gains on the amps and EQ (if you have gains on the EQ) are all turned up to high.  I'm interested to know what the dealer says it was.

On 2/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, 2020LSV23 said:

We look forward to hearing your feedback once you try it out thanks!

After a season with the annoying crickets and static I can confirm its Gone . Update solved my problem 

2 hours ago, LucasC said:

After a season with the annoying crickets and static I can confirm its Gone . Update solved my problem 

Happy to hear that!

I am worried now as dealer said they did the update already before we took possession so our static issue is likely something else 

I'd bet the term "update" actually means we moved some RCA's away from a power supply and/or properly grounded the entire system.  Maybe I'm thinking old school, but those used to be the most common culprits of these types of stereo issues.  

49 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Happy to hear that!

I am worried now as dealer said they did the update already before we took possession so our static issue is likely something else 

They have left a usb drive in the boat and written on it says. Stereo interference update.  

1 hour ago, LucasC said:

They have left a usb drive in the boat and written on it says. Stereo interference update.  

Does it have to be plugged it at all times or if there’s another issue you need to use it?

had this problem with my 2019 23 LSV with the 12 inch sub and 4 rev 10s on tower

The short end of my solution was to get a external Bluetooth dongle that is usb powered and plug it in to the Aux port and run audio on aux. It removed the chirp cricket sound and is $20 from amazon.

I found sometime end of 2019 in winter Malibu has found a fix for this issue as a firmware or software update that others have mentioned here.

Whole thread here on this issue from last year, seems to just be on a certain amount of unlucky malibu's i have heard others have had this issue from 24mxz to 25lsv.

Although i have heard other malibu owners never even heard of this issue so it is rare.

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/70079-interior-tower-speakers-staticchirp-sound-on-bluetooth/&page=3

2 hours ago, weekender said:

had this problem with my 2019 23 LSV with the 12 inch sub and 4 rev 10s on tower

The short end of my solution was to get a external Bluetooth dongle that is usb powered and plug it in to the Aux port and run audio on aux. It removed the chirp cricket sound and is $20 from amazon.

I found sometime end of 2019 in winter Malibu has found a fix for this issue as a firmware or software update that others have mentioned here.

Whole thread here on this issue from last year, seems to just be on a certain amount of unlucky malibu's i have heard others have had this issue from 24mxz to 25lsv.

Although i have heard other malibu owners never even heard of this issue so it is rare.

https://www.themalibucrew.com/index.php?/forums/topic/70079-interior-tower-speakers-staticchirp-sound-on-bluetooth/&page=3

Our issue is on every source though. Radio, USB, Aux, BluTooth they all have a static fuzzy sound. 

2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Yup, different issue than the infamous 2019 crickets which were only related to Bluetooth

Happy to know we have a rare 2020 Malibu stereo disease :Frustrated:

Boat is going to dealer Thursday and will update as we hear more.

Edited by 2020LSV23
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

Dealer confirmed defective black box head stereo unit and have ordered a new one.

Hopefully this will have it fixed and should have boat back next week. 

• 2 weeks later...
ahopkins22LSV

@2020LSV23 was your static like an old school TV static sound? At first ours had nothing, but out on the water yesterday it started to sound like that. I would turn the stereo off and back on, it would go away and then come back in 5ish minutes. Didn't do it at all in the driveway, so I figured I would try on the water with the engine off, but it seemed to not matter.

Sounds like your dealer had to replace the black box and amps?

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

@2020LSV23 was your static like an old school TV static sound? At first ours had nothing, but out on the water yesterday it started to sound like that. I would turn the stereo off and back on, it would go away and then come back in 5ish minutes. Didn't do it at all in the driveway, so I figured I would try on the water with the engine off, but it seemed to not matter.

Sounds like your dealer had to replace the black box and amps?

Hey there the dealer first replaced the black box but that did not help. They then replaced the amps and that fixed the issue. We had low level static on all speakers once you power radio on. No matter the input (Bluetooth, USB etc) they all had static. Then every 45 - 85 seconds an odd increase in static/crackle would come through the speakers for a few second and then dissipate back to normal low grade static. New amps now and that issue is resolved.