Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dealers Advertising New Boats in Classifieds

pauley71

I think the takeaway here is that TMC admins appreciate the revenue from the dealer classifieds, notwithstanding the overwhelming user feedback that the new boat dealer spam has pretty much wrecked the classifieds.  LOL I'm not sure anybody actually likes the dealer no price ads?

That said, I get it, and thanks for doing what you do to keep this a pretty great corner of the internet, TMC admins!  If dealer ads keep the lights on around here, that's OK by me.

• Like 4
On 2/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Sparky450 said:

I am definitely in the minority here. I don’t mind them. There are so few adds a guy can go through them in about 2 min. I enjoy looking at the color schemes they put together. I think it was one of Transitions adds that made me finalize my gel scheme on my boat. I hated what I was about to order! 

Yea, love looking at the color schemes and so forth.  They design some nice boats.

Might I suggest creating a second classified area, one for the usual stuff, and one for dealers to advertise new or used boats?  Seems like a good meet in the middle solution?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

Agree also - it's pretty easy to filter new boats out...

Many people looking at Malibu boats for the first time (like I was when I stumbled upon this site) may not find it easy to filter them because they aren’t as tech savvy or don’t know the site as well. I didn’t notice a filter option when I was looking.  

23 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Many people looking at Malibu boats for the first time (like I was when I stumbled upon this site) may not find it easy to filter them because they aren’t as tech savvy or don’t know the site as well. I didn’t notice a filter option when I was looking.  

Did you not look at them for color schemes? 

On 2/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, Sparky450 said:

I am definitely in the minority here. I don’t mind them. There are so few adds a guy can go through them in about 2 min. I enjoy looking at the color schemes they put together. I think it was one of Transitions adds that made me finalize my gel scheme on my boat. I hated what I was about to order! 

I think there are so few ads because nobody posts there because it feels like it is hard to wade through the dealer ads.  

• Like 3
On 2/18/2020 at 11:21 PM, Sparky450 said:

Just one man's opinion, but I fall into this camp as well.  They are a paying member and follow the rules.  The marine industry is such a fickle beast and they are just trying to make a living.  Marketing isn't cheap.  I've been on both sides of the fence.  They are clearly following the rules of the site and the "Malibu" rules by not posting pricing information on current model boats.  It took me 2 or 3 clicks to add a filter for pre-owned boats only (as none of us would be selling new boats), and the list was what everyone on here would be hoping for.  And even without the filter, it is very easy to tell which ones are theirs.  I feel like alienating the dealers has very little payoff in the long run.  And keep in mind, many of the folks that started dealerships or other marine businesses did it out of a love for boating.  I know that's what drove me that way and I know several others in the same place.

• Like 4
49 minutes ago, SkiPablo said:

i think we need a "Boats for Sale" and a "Gear for Sale"   - that would fix the issue

Not seeing how that would help anything.

We already have;

Pre-Owned Boats

New Boats

Parts & Accessories

Watersports Geaar

Off The Water Items

All of these can be sorted separately to eliminate all the Other ads. 

Might be that members here don't want to see the ads in the Unread Content list. I don't understand that because they do not have to be clicked on to read them. Just skip over them, I'm pretty sure that every thread on here isn't of interest to everyone. It's starting to sound like a "Complain About the Dealer Thing" or a just to complain thing because it’s the “Thing” to do. As long as they are a paying member and follow the rules, they are in compliance with the Terms of Use that everyone agreed to when joining the site. I don't see the results from these ads as advertising for that particular boat unless they are willing to sell out of their territory. Thats not our call. I see it as a drive to their website for New, Used, Relationships etc. What ever their reasoning, it must be working for them since they have used the Classifieds section for a long time. If it wasn't working I doubt they would continue to use it.