Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A24 demo ride

dillyrev

Took a ride this weekend on a new 2019, maybe we didn't have it set up right but i was a little bummed after reading about how it throws a monster wave.  Maybe i was expecting too much. Had 850's in back and a 750 front bag. Is there something else where this thing gets better?

I'm a rookie for sure,  I have only owned 1 older surf boat. I wasn't there to set up boat but see what it has to offer. I was in water but i think about 11 mph, 2 people in boat. Maybe we had too much bow weight? Looking to buy this boat any info would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dillyrev

Sounds like improper setup.  These boats don't make a good wave with weight in the back and bow.  You need to spread the weight more evenly across the boat.  I run with wedge, 750's in rear, 500 pounds of lead midship, and the PNP bow bag.  That makes a nice wave.  Once you add all the people in the boat the wave only gets better.  Doing heave weight in front and rear makes a pretty crappy wave.

I have never been in the current version of the A24, but I own an older one and as I'm sure many will tell you, set up is key. I purchased my boat without a demo, and I remember the first time I rode behind it. I was so disappointed. The older a24's need a lot of weight in the back, so I purchased two 1100's and let some of the water out of the front. I also added a bit more weight to the surf side and now it throws an amazing wave.

It's not just weight distribution, so many people surf at over 11mph, whereas we always surf between 10.2(beginners) and 10.8(Advanced riders). I don't know why, but our boat doesn't throw a good wave over 11. Furthermore, you need deep enough water. Once we get under 10 feet, our wave disappears.

It's a big purchase, but yeah, when setup correctly these boats throw a huge wave with plenty of push.

been on 3 a24’s, one 16 snd two 18’s

the 16 was not so good but that owner doesn’t know how to dial a wave ,  one 18 was dialed with no wedge at all and wave was great, other had pw2 full deployed with on cushion bow sac  and it was awesome

A24 is a great boat,  you have to learn to dial it

We have a ‘18 A24. We do not have PW2 and our wave is still amazing. We just fill all and select a side to surf. We ride anywhere from 10.8-11.4 depending on rider size and how much push they need. The power wedge helps with that as well. I thing we have 750’s in the rear and a 650 up front. We do have 200lbs of lead under the observers seat to offset prop rotation(don’t even really know if that makes a difference). 

The picture attached is everything full, floating wedge down, she rides at about 11.4, so super mellow long wave. She can ride 15-20ish feet back . She’s 5’4 110lbs. I’m 6’4” 210lbs and I ride at 10.8-11.0 and can ride maybe 15ft back on a floaty surf style board. 

Easy set up is my favorite thing. No dialing, no adjusting, just fill and go.

FF6608C6-4F77-48AB-AD62-0CB0028C3F7D.jpeg

Edited by CBray4
Weight specs
  • Like 2