Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis A20/A22/T22 slalom wake

Four

Spent a lot of time looking at the at the Axis boats over the last week and keep going back and forth on which to pull the trigger on. We'll typically have 6-8 people on board, surf wake is probably the biggest priority, but also want to slalom occasionally. Leaning towards the A20 because it seems big enough and I hear the surf wakes are about equivalent across all three but that the slalom wake on the a20 is much better. Price difference is pretty minimal and not really a factor (3k more for T22, 6k more for A22). Can't find any recent threads on slalom wakes on these after most of the hull refreshes. Anyone have any more recent experience slaloming behind any of these or know if the a22 or t22 wake is too aggressive to slalom well, or if it can be adequately toned down?

thanks -

ahopkins22LSV

:welcome:

Few questions:

1) Are you traveling to a lake and are going to have 6-8 people with you and thus taking gear for the whole day? Or do you live on a lake and can make trip to and from your dock if needed?

2) What is you slalom level? What do you ski now and what are your expectations for skiing?

We have a VTX because slalom is still a very high priority of mine. We’ve have 6 people in the boat and it’s perfectly doable, but I have the ability to run back to the dock to drop something off if needed. If we were driving to a lake every weekend and spending 6-8 hours out there, I’d seriously consider a bigger boat because at the end of the day time of the water is meant to be fun and happy times. If everyone is miserable for the 90% of the boating we do and it’s only good for the times I ski then it’s not worth it to me. I’d sacrifice my skiing to still have a great time with friends and family. 

• Like 2

Thanks - We’re about a mile from the lake so will be packing for the day. Intermediate slalom - not trying to blow through any courses just make a few rooster tails and zip around without a miserable time across the wake. Also would like to teach my 6 yo and not sure if the wake will just be too big for a young beginner. I guess I’m sold on more space if skiing is ok not great, but more undecided if it’ll likely turn into a “yeah let’s skip that” kind of thing. 

FWIW our 14 a24 has a much better slalom wake than our 12 a22. If your talking 6-8 adults, even the 22 will be full. Our a22 was a 2-3 family boat whereas our a24 is a 3-4 family boat.

Depending on speed tossing the power wedge in lift mode actually flattens out the wake a bit more and makes the cross acceptable for fun.
Also 6-8 people get the 22 or bigger, also the surf wake is better in the bigger boat

Hi Mate

I have a 17 A20 in Australia. The ski wake is Ok at 50kph for a casual run. I came from a 96 Prostar which was in a different league obviously. 

Zero ballast, no wedge, full fuel and 7-8 on board. 

Cheers 

Edited by BH78
  • 3 weeks later...

@Four I have been slaloming for 20+ years and go pretty hard.  We grew up skiing behind an 18ft Chappy that we still have.  You can fly back and forth behind that boat.

The A20 is a better wake for skiing out of all 3 choices, but not wonderful if you like to cut back and forth pretty quick.  The A22 wake is bigger than that.  I haven’t skied behind the T22.

All in all these boats are built for wake sports as you know. If you like to casually slalom, they will all get the job done.

I actually like the Axis better for teaching people how to ski.  You can put the rope on the tower, which helps get people up easier and the motor pulls even large skiers out of the water really well.

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

I have a 15 T22.  Most use is for surfing and I’m the only one that skis.  My wake is good for skiing when I fill bow ballast and couple of people up there.  No ballast in rear.

This really flattens the wake and let’s me run the course without difficulty.  It’s not like my old Nautique 2001 but that boat was one dimensional.

Love my T22.

• 5 months later...
On 4/25/2020 at 8:07 AM, 6wakesurfers said:

I have a 15 T22.  Most use is for surfing and I’m the only one that skis.  My wake is good for skiing when I fill bow ballast and couple of people up there.  No ballast in rear.

This really flattens the wake and let’s me run the course without difficulty.  It’s not like my old Nautique 2001 but that boat was one dimensional.

Love my T22.

6wakesurfers...do you have videos of your slolam ski wake in your t22 that you could post?  We love to slolam ski.  We are seriously looking at upgrading to a t22 as we want a bigger boat with a better surf wake but still want a good ski wake.  

• 9 months later...

@6wakesurfers I wanted to resurrect this old thread to see if you were able to post up a video of you slaloming behind your boat. My buddy and I are researching our next boats right now and we both slalom but want more room and the ability to surf but slaloming recreationally is still a priority. We're not course skiers but we've been doing it since we were kids. I'm currently in a 97 sunsetter LX DD. Thanks for your help!

Josh