Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter Surf wake

Hukitup

Hey folks I was told that the wedge on the back center of the boat will not help a surf wake???? True or False? New to the boat and trying to create the best surf able wake with what came with the boat. Hard ballast tanks in rear, wedge and front center ballast.

Completely False, the wedge adds another 800lbs in theory, and will make the wake higher. You need to add weight in the rear lockers (750lbs bags), MLS alone will not be enough for a great wake. To avoid having to list one side get yourself a manual surfgate, fill all MLS, wedge all the way down and with speed between 9.5 to 10.2 MPH you should get great results with that boat. The size of your crew will also affect the wake. Good luck. 

Edited by pawter1970

False. But the surf wake is still going to be pitifully small by today’s standards with just factory ballast. 

If you are running listed, a 750 fat sac in the surf side rear locker is step 1 for a good surfable wave.  

• 2 months later...

False.  Pull those 2 rear hard tanks and get a Wakemakers tank buster kit.  (Become a supporting member here and get a discount at Wakemakers and other vendors).  

https://www.wakemakers.com/tankbuster-750-ballast-system-upgrade.html

Probably will want some additional bow ballast too.  Make sure to get a suction waksurf device as well.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

False.  Just ran yesterday with wedge down, all tanks full, two additional bags in rear and one in front and a mission delta.  

• 3 weeks later...

just changes the shape some. We experiment with it both ways.  I run dual 750's in the back, a homemade wake shaper and my center is a bit bigger than factory.  Really need an aftermarket prop though and a bit more up front.  We usually make everyone sit toward the front of the boat.

• 2 weeks later...

My old 2002 VLX had a decent wave but required alot of weight:

Setup:

(2) 750Lb Bags, one in each rear corner

(1) Factory MLS Center bag (500lbs)

(1) Front 600lbs bag under the seats in the bow

Wedge down, Wake shaper and about 10.8mph. More people in the front helped. I think alot of people put more weight in the back and front then I ran.

Pocket was small but for sure surfable. 

• 2 years later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:11 AM, mgb1974 said:

My old 2002 VLX had a decent wave but required alot of weight:

Setup:

(2) 750Lb Bags, one in each rear corner

(1) Factory MLS Center bag (500lbs)

(1) Front 600lbs bag under the seats in the bow

Wedge down, Wake shaper and about 10.8mph. More people in the front helped. I think alot of people put more weight in the back and front then I ran.

Pocket was small but for sure surfable. 

Which wake shaper did you have? 

Both sides or did you list to one side?

I have a Nauticurl that works pretty well. I think of I were to get one now I’d get the swell H3X. Not sure if the adjustability would do anything, but seems like a cool concept. I don’t think there is much feedback out there about what shaper works best for which hull/model of boat. 

I sent an inquiry to wakemakers regarding recommendations for  my hull..

Is Jason (Skicrave) still with them? (I know he was an OG there...) That was a looong time ago...

10 hours ago, Faceplant409 said:

Which wake shaper did you have? 

Both sides or did you list to one side?

Home made wakeshaper.  Had around a 10x8 Paddle on it, put it as far back as I could on the hull.   I had both sides all the way full with the wakeshaper on it. 

7 hours ago, rakr said:

I have a Nauticurl that works pretty well. I think of I were to get one now I’d get the swell H3X. Not sure if the adjustability would do anything, but seems like a cool concept. I don’t think there is much feedback out there about what shaper works best for which hull/model of boat. 

Both the Mission Delta 1.0 and 2.0 work perfectly on our 2003 WS23LSV. Got the 1.0 when they first came out and still have it but a friend gifted us a 2.0 so we use it mostly - both work exactly the same. Flipped the paddle part so we could put it farther back on the hull - definitely works best way back as far as you can go before the hull curves.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, Brad B said:

Both the Mission Delta 1.0 and 2.0 work perfectly on our 2003 WS23LSV. Got the 1.0 when they first came out and still have it but a friend gifted us a 2.0 so we use it mostly - both work exactly the same. Flipped the paddle part so we could put it farther back on the hull - definitely works best way back as far as you can go before the hull curves.

How far below the rub rail do you install it? 

10 hours ago, Faceplant409 said:

How far below the rub rail do you install it? 

Its probably 6 inches below water line. Which in our case is about the same as the rub rail line :biggrin:. If its too high it throws a plume, lower is prettier to us.

• Haha 1