Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 tower bolt that hold the axis together is BROKEN

Gabrielwakesetter

Hi folks, long time no talk!

Well, I just installed a new engine in my Bu. Yes, a new engine! got I got tired sick of my cilinder heads failing  and I my old engine in my wakesetter 2010 had  2500 hours on it ! so I'm a happy camper with a 2010 with cero horas on it . HOWEVER

after I finish installing the new engine and everything went ok, I find out that the screw that goes from the axis of the tower and bolt into the silver pipe is broken! yes, bad luck I guess? the screw that broke is on that has a "hole" in the head (where the screw of the axis of the tower get in to hold together the tower) has died. first question is, where the heck can I get that bolt with that "O" shape?? second question, has anyone has ever taken apart the tower??? any recomendation?? It does not seem like it is happening a lot, so must be bad luck. My machanic, blames the 6 exile that I have on the tower...the reality is that I need to fix it and honestrly don't know where to start or to get the spare part I need. I guess is I take it all apart should be able to replace it. put it back together must be a nice challenge. so  ANY HELP or advise (besides do not put speakers on the tower) will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Gabriel

I am guessing you are talking about the tower front pivot bolts. I had to replace a heim joint that the bolt goes through years back on the G3 on my 2010. The bolt should be a standard stainless SAE 3/8” hex head bolt. I don’t recall the length but it should be about 2 3/4” IIRC because that part of the tower is a 3” OD tube. You will probably want to take in the old one when you go to buy a new one. It should be readily available at any good fastener place. I bought my replacement heim joint from my local fastener shop. It has been so long, I don’t recall exactly how the bolt fastened inside of the tower. I do know I had to remove the strut from that side when I replaced the heim joint. When the strut is pulled off the tower and the front bolt is removed, the tower will move around enough even with the other side of the tower still connected, to access everything inside of that leg. I built a 2x4 support to hold up the tower while I worked on it. If you can magically remove the old bolt parts you shouldn’t have to tear it apart. I am sure you have more questions that I am not addressing, ask away. Bill

Bill,

your answer does help me but yes, I do have more questions. Number one, the bolt that is attached to the side (strut, silver) bolt into the cilinder yes and yes I will need to find a way to unscrew the broken part. I'm guessing I can use one of the those gimmicks to take out broken bolts...wish me luck! however the bolt I'm referring is not an standard bolt, the "head of the bolt has a hole where the axis of the pivoting system of the tower connect. not sure I make myself clear. I guess they are called "eye bolts" .  that is the one that goes from the pivot to silver cilinder. I will take a picture to tomorrow. the problem is, being in Argentina, yes that far, I"m not sure it is that common that eye bolt over here. I tried asking to some fastener shop and no luck so far. So, if someone know the exact size and model I can try and order them online. do you think the guys at bakesonline will have any idea? I doubt malibu will give me any answer...maybe to some of you guys in TN, might have more luck.

I might give it a try tomorrow. BTW, how did you tore the heim joint? I know 6 exile is pushing it, but towers should be ready for it. BTW did you replace the retractable system when you add speakers? I mean the shock absorbers?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

A picture will definitely help. The heim joint got bent when the tower made contact with the garage door header. Lesson learned, don’t be in a hurry to secure the tower correctly! I did upgrade the struts from the 215 lb version to the 275 lb versions. Money well spent IMO.

This is the Heim joint, ball end joint or Rose joint if you are on the other side of the pond or down under. It is screwed into a plate that is welded to the inside bottoms of the front tower legs. By standard I mean standard not metric threads.

image.png

Edited by wdr
Clarification

Bingo! that is the one that is broken! the "heim joint" don't you guys call it eye bolt?? Would you remember the specs? did you get it from malibu? or a local shop?

I suppose depending on where you are located some might call it an "eye bolt". Those normally do not have the ball socket in the end of them IME. I normally use eye bolts for hanging potted plants at gun point. :Doh:I got the joint at my local fastener shop. God knows what Malibu would of charged for it! It was a standard "US", SAE thread not metric and like less than $10.00 US dollars at the time when I bought. As I recall it was 3/8" or 9.53mm diameter and about 3" or 7.62 cm long. It might of been 1/2' or 12.7mm but I don't think so. If you get the joint head off you can just measure the outside thread diameter then to get the correct size. The length really won't matter so long as it is long enough be able to assemble and adjust everything correctly. If it is too long the excess will just sit up in the tower leg. Because the bolt is already broken off, unless you get real lucky, after reassembly you will have to raise and lower the tower repeatedly to see how much tower bar lip to tower base clearance you have. If it doesn't have the same gap as the other leg or is making contact with the tower base, you will have to lower the tower, disassemble it, twist the joint in or out to adjust the gap, reassemble, raise the tower and note the change. As I recall, I had to repeat the process about 5 times to get the gap the same for both sides. DO NOT use thread lock of any type on any part of the tower. Using thread lock on the dissimilar metals in the tower will cause you to have a significant emotional event later when you try to take anything apart on it.

Edited by wdr
clarification

I got divorced so I don't have to hang plants or anything else any more! :)  so now I have more time for my Bu.

I really thank you for your info. I was guessing that it will be 5-8 times until I get the right gap. now it all comes down to get the piece of bolt in the tower...not an easy task...but I might get it off with one of those gimmicks that extract bolts...IF it is not bent inside...I just check and yes, it is less than 10 us on amazon...

I will let you know how it went...thanks!

11 hours ago, Gabrielwakesetter said:

I got divorced so I don't have to hang plants or anything else any more! :)  so now I have more time for my Bu.

I really thank you for your info. I was guessing that it will be 5-8 times until I get the right gap. now it all comes down to get the piece of bolt in the tower...not an easy task...but I might get it off with one of those gimmicks that extract bolts...IF it is not bent inside...I just check and yes, it is less than 10 us on amazon...

I will let you know how it went...thanks!

I would try a left handed drill bit and easy out. The left handed bit will likely back the broken part out without using easy out. That is all dependent on having room to use drill.

• Like 2