Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

09 Malibu 23LSV

Hoff09

I just bought an 09 23LSV with power wedge and built in ballast tanks. I generally enjoy slalom skiing but would like to get into surfing. What would give me the best skiing water behind the boat? What will give the best wake for surfing? I know every boat is different just looking for a good starting point. Thanks in advance. 

Before my current boat I had a 2010 LSV. My crew primarily surfs so I added a front 750 lb and a rear surfside 1100 lb bag on reversible pumps with 1” hoses. The rear hose was on a quick connect so I could swap sides when I felt the urge. I sourced everything from Wake Makers. I also built a succession of “suck gates” that worked great on that hull. It wasn’t for me and it won’t be cheap for you, but the money spent was well worth it IMO. Don’t bother looking at aerator style pumps. You can time the fill/drain times with a calendar and you have a lot more parts and pieces with the build for just a little less money. JM2C. Bill

Welcome to the crew. 

You will want to fill the front ballast st least half way for skiing. 

For surfing, you can go the full route above, or get into it a little at a time. Definately start with a suck gate, that is going to be most important to get going. Add ballast as necessary, we used human ballast at first, made learning tons of fun. Later we added extra bags in the rear lockers, and the walkway. 

Then we bought a new boat rather than go through hard plumbing extra ballast bags. Now i am ordering lead bags for more ballast. Its a rabbit hole, but its a fun one to wander down.

There are lots of great set-up threads on weighting a 23 for surfing. Do a little searching and reading, you will have a good idea of what to try. I wouldn't dive in to an overloaded boat until you get used to how it handles loaded.

So your saying I need additional ballasts from what my boat comes with?  I already have the one in front, one in the middle, and the two in the back. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 lsv. U will want to at least get a piggyback system for your rear bags. If you don’t wanna pull out your rear hard tanks get a 400lb bag for each side. 

we pulled out our rear hard tanks and have 750 lb bag on each side. I didn’t like the piggyback system and the space those hard tanks take up for the little amount of weight they hold. 

buy or make a suck gate so you don’t have to list your boat or mess with switching ballast

fill up everything. Wedge at 67%. Ride around 9.8 mph for beginners