Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 25 LSV Tower Light Options

Jeepman

Hey, new member and soon-to-be new Malibu owner here.  I just ordered a 2020 25 LSV at the boat show.  Red metal flake and black with 3 axle trailer.  I'm told by the dealer I can change anything but the engine and trailer options up to 30 days before the "spray date" which is late March.  I've got the options I know of in the order.  Honestly Malibu does a pretty bad job of listing the options in a way the consumer can read/understand.  The dealer can see the options in the CRM tool but there still isn't much description.  Anyway, I went with G3.5 tower.  Do not want or need a power tower.  One thing I was surprised to learn is there is no factory-installed tower light option?  There is a thing called an "all around light" option but I can't picture in my mind how that would do any good whatsoever so I skipped it.  I did get the factory docking lights.  What I want is flood lights on the tower.  A pair facing forward and a pair facing aft.  I know I cannot be underway with these lights on.  This would be for docking, unloading, putting on trailer, etc at night.  I've seen these on other boats and they are useful.  Anybody added lights to a G3.5 tower?  And a related question: anyone have access to wiring diagrams for these boats?  Thanks!

ahopkins22LSV

Hi, and welcome! Congrats on your new order, that is going to be an awesome boat!

Here is a picture of that light. It is pretty dang bright, but I don't know how well it works on the water as it is a new option for 2020. It is basically an extension on the white anchor light on top of the tower. It shines forward and back or both, controlled from the left hand screen. I am not ordering it, but I am getting docking lights which tremendously help at night when docking or loading onto the trailer. If you are only docking or loading on the trailer, I feel you don't need anything else. This light would probably help though.

IMG_3780.thumb.jpg.83252f12c3d4f15689dc8c4e515c8078.jpg

IMG_3781.thumb.jpg.defc344dbb9cdc94bafec0599f743f4d.jpg

The G3.5 tower is pretty easy to wire for whatever lights you want to add. You can then connect them under the helm to work with the soft buttons on the screen. 

In this case I wired the tower speaker LED’s to the rear facing tower light soft button (there’s a front facing one too). You can also tap into the interior light soft button  

A981EA35-60C9-4C70-8CB2-FE9F6E1EA3ED.jpeg

DE41AD9A-F610-4803-85D3-328CEA841E2B.png

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info guys.  Love the community support!  That new light option looks more useful than what I pictured in my mind but in order to do what I want it seem like it would have to be under the bimini if the idea is to illuminate the interior of the boat and the water immediately forward and aft of the hull.  I was thinking of mounting something like this on the speaker shelf:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLYH4ZJ

They have a flood and spot version and for the price of four fixtures and some Weatherpack connectors it would be a pretty economical upgrade.  I think I am going to just stick with the docking lights as a factory option and then determine if this is something I really need later.  Knowing the touch screen has options for front and rear tower lights helps too.  Thanks again. 

You do realize those are 9600 lumens. That is about 20 times plus some too much light for what you want to do. For instance a 60 watt wall pack fixture that we put on a building at 15 feet in the air is only 7200 lumens. Please be kind to fellow boaters😏😏

ahopkins22LSV

Also, any light on at night attracts bugs and lots of them! My wife and I get about one sunset ride a year while we are up north and the amount of bugs I have to wipe off from just the navigation lights being on is crazy. 

Im not saying don’t add aftermarket lights but, you might want to see how well the docking lights work. I honestly feel they are more than enough. Out in the middle of the lake they don’t do much, but that’s not their intended purpose. Once you get near shore they are like your car headlights. They light up everything. So much that I turn them on and turn them back off as quickly as possible to try to be as polite as I can be to people that may be on shore. 

Your boat will come stock with storage and interior white leds. They aren’t a crazy bright but do a pretty good job. You could definitely improve them for interior lighting, but again, bugs. We don’t normally keep them on during the evening or after sunset. 

Our 2019 has these little lights mounted on the speaker shelves. Do they not have these as an option anymore? I have no idea what these are rated as, but they sure are bright. 20190901_183846.thumb.jpg.4ace2972e6f642e4176fc8d8d6d993d1.jpgThe docking lights are also more than sufficient in he current models, far better than they were on our 2011.

3 hours ago, asnowman said:

Our 2019 has these little lights mounted on the speaker shelves. Do they not have these as an option anymore? I have no idea what these are rated as, but they sure are bright. 20190901_183846.thumb.jpg.4ace2972e6f642e4176fc8d8d6d993d1.jpgThe docking lights are also more than sufficient in he current models, far better than they were on our 2011.

@asnowman, What is the knob that is sticking out from the inside of the tower?  

2 hours ago, wdr said:

Optional surf rope tow point to keep the newbs in the wake. About a $200 option that I passed on.

@TallRedRiderYup that, optional surf tow point. I didn't order the boat, but it is handy when teaching newbies to get up.

Edited by asnowman
Tag
19 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

You do realize those are 9600 lumens. That is about 20 times plus some too much light for what you want to do. For instance a 60 watt wall pack fixture that we put on a building at 15 feet in the air is only 7200 lumens. Please be kind to fellow boaters😏😏

Yeah, you are right on the lumens, although I'm sure they don't actually make that much light.  Those are Chinese lumens.  Didn't notice till after my last post.  Good catch.

We don't have (many) bugs and there are no humans around other than our crew where we would be using these lights but based on the feedback here I'll stow this idea till I try out the factory docking lights.  I have halogen docking lights on my current boat and never found them all that useful because they are not that bright and are too low to the waterline.  Hopefully these LEDs on the 25 LSV are much better.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Looking to add interior lighting on my 2019 22 mix this year. Does anyone know how to add these to the system on the boat where I can control the power to these lights from my screen?

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Wakezilla22 said:

Looking to add interior lighting on my 2019 22 mix this year. Does anyone know how to add these to the system on the boat where I can control the power to these lights from my screen?

You mean to just be able to turn on and off from the interior lights button and the screen? If yes, just tie into the factory wiring for the factory interior lights. 

Good idea. I was thinking I could add another button to the screen, like when you add underwater lights, to control my RGB lights but I think what you said sounds easiest. I appreciate it.