Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ceramic Coating for Boats

Wife and I excited about our new 23 LSV. We’re not far from the Malibu Loudoun plant so intend to see her before birth in March/April. I love the ceramic coating I put on our classic Corvette. Amazing beading and easy to keep clean. I’m familiar with automotive ceramics but not marine. I would think there’s no difference between automotive and marine ceramic coatings but don’t know. I’ll do it myself again. Takes time but not hard on a new finish. Thots/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Gel is more porous than paint so I have been looking for something gel specific.  There are a few out there.  I am probably gonna give this product a shot next spring (but have no personal experience with it yet):

https://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-marine-gelcoat.html

This is another one I have been looking at:

https://www.autogeek.net/marine-31-boat-coating.html

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 8:42 PM, jjackkrash said:

Yes, please report back.  I would love to hear results.  

Sure will. Researching boat ceramics was much more difficult than selecting auto ceramics because there are lots of guys in the auto world experimenting with many of the well know/proven products and reporting results. I spoke with the Glidecoat folks and was impressed with the consistent reviews of intentional customer satisfaction and going the extra mile. I intend to polish the surfaces to make sure all the release is gone and we'll do two coats. Not sure if before and after pictures will do justice, but I'll give it a try. I'll let you know about mid-April.

I have a new 40' fifth wheel on the way with front and rear auto-painted end caps, but gelcoat for the main body section.  I also want to do my ski boat.  I have used CQuartz and QQuartz UK 3.0 on my cars and it works great, but I want to be sure before I try something on gelcoat, especially something that's 40 feet long and 12-14 feet tall.     

I might make the jump to ceramic this year after being set on traditional sealant. Tried to reach out to my local shop that I know and see if they'd sell me ceramic pro, if I'm gonna do this I want to do ti with something good.  They quote they gave me wasn't bad either, just over a 1000 Canadian for a base layer and top coat. No prep work. 

Found this, might be better than the typical cheaper bottle. Just need to decide if it'll be worth putting the work in.

https://www.microdetailer.com/product/micro-detailer-md-boat-coat-hd-heavy-duty-boat-marine-ceramic-paint-coating/

Marinenanoshop.com is top quality and much more affordable. I’ve had it on my boat for a couple years now. Lots of videos and accessories as well if you need them. 

Prep work is key. You’ll spend way more time on that then applying the coat. 

• 10 months later...
On 1/25/2020 at 8:05 AM, Outlaw said:

Wife and I excited about our new 23 LSV. We’re not far from the Malibu Loudoun plant so intend to see her before birth in March/April. I love the ceramic coating I put on our classic Corvette. Amazing beading and easy to keep clean. I’m familiar with automotive ceramics but not marine. I would think there’s no difference between automotive and marine ceramic coatings but don’t know. I’ll do it myself again. Takes time but not hard on a new finish. Thots/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

How did it turn out? Any reviews. Looking at new boat spring 2021 and considering trying a ceramic coating. thanks for any input