Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tundra rear wheel hop/bouncy

Falko

Over the last couple months I've noticed the Tundra has been getting a little bouncy with oscillations in the rear. Truck has about 60k on it, would rear shocks be bad?? I don't haul overly often but I may have overloaded it a couple of times. Also, during the last storm I was getting some traction related wheel hop. Never experienced that before either. Thinking about new rear shocks and anti-wrap/traction bars for the rear.

25 minutes ago, Falko said:

Over the last couple months I've noticed the Tundra has been getting a little bouncy with oscillations in the rear. Truck has about 60k on it, would rear shocks be bad?? I don't haul overly often but I may have overloaded it a couple of times. Also, during the last storm I was getting some traction related wheel hop. Never experienced that before either. Thinking about new rear shocks and anti-wrap/traction bars for the rear.

At 60K it wouldn't be unusual that the rear shocks would be bad in any pickup.  I'd just put on some quality shocks before messing with anything else.

• Like 2

I think the tires are fine, albeit they are heavier than the stock, so that might be an issue amplifying worn shocks.

Does anyone make shocks/weight bad (air shocks) anymore that are any good?  That might help with some heavier loads as well.

I recently leveled my truck, see this thread.  I ended up lowering the rear shackles to the 1" setting and added Firestone ride Right air bags and just manually fill them when towing.

I read somewhere when searching leveling kits that it's recommended to replace shocks at 60-70k miles, but I have definitely gone longer in the past.