Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone towing with an Audi Q7 3.0

isellacuras

I’ve towed my 2011 VTX with multiple Audi’s and the Q7 is by far the best. My current car is the Q7 3.0L TDI and it tows the boat easily. 
I have also towed it with the 4.2L V8 TDI Q7 which does it with absolute ease. 
A6 Allroad, Q5 & SQ5 also towed it well however the A6 being a lower vehicle doesn’t protect the boat from the wind like an SUV does.

I’d go the Q7 but make sure you get air suspension as it assists with levelling the boat & car out. Also helps back the trailer into the water further when you raise the height. 
some photos attached of my cars.

http://31E85D3B-74FF-4CB0-A754-F3BC19961BAA_zps

http://8B4504C3-3DA5-4718-9764-6F1C5234EA19_zps

http://82DDC383-C54C-4D3F-B6FA-F092A7C7DD36_zps

Got my first tow in with the new car. It’s about what I expected.  Not lacking in power or braking, in fact I think it’s better than the F-150 in those categories, at least in the flats. I can feel the boat more. It moves the car around a little and the hitch rattle is much louder, I’m assuming because of the unibody construction.  I have a little squat going on but not horrible. I need to adjust the height of my hitch since it’s a little to high for this first run. A4BE253F-4293-47F2-9A83-E9F9709CC30F.thumb.jpeg.4c9051c1ecc3a23ae0e5a63eb3d8a354.jpegDC9DAD6F-2D4B-43D5-977D-F93CF6B54809.thumb.jpeg.e50c42abf6dc81cf9f8f1c55182d9421.jpeg

51 minutes ago, isellacuras said:

It moves the car around a little and the hitch rattle is much louder, I’m assuming because of the unibody construction. 

It is the same thing with my wife's ML400.  It gets more hitch noise than I expected, but it does great towing in all other respects.    

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 2:27 PM, Raleigh said:

Have you considered a sway control bar? Your vehicle isn’t compatible with a WDH but a sway control would help. 

So far so good. I don’t see any reason to change anything YET. I feel the boat more than what I did with the F150 but that was to be expected. My only complaint is the hitch/receiver clunking noise that resonates through the cabin. I have a hitch tightener for my motorcycle carrier that I may try on my boat receiver next time.  

• 5 months later...
On 3/3/2020 at 12:17 AM, isellacuras said:

So far so good. I don’t see any reason to change anything YET. I feel the boat more than what I did with the F150 but that was to be expected. My only complaint is the hitch/receiver clunking noise that resonates through the cabin. I have a hitch tightener for my motorcycle carrier that I may try on my boat receiver next time.  

Bringing back a zombie thread here, apologies!

I just picked up a '17 Q7 with the 3.0T.  I don't really intend to pull the boat with it, but we do plan on getting a travel trailer.  I had a question for you on your ball mount.  The factory hitch has a super short 6.2" max length for the mount and finding one that is that short and also one that has enough rise to get nearly anything level is pretty much impossible.

Did you just ignore that and go with a mount that worked for you or did you follow the Audi specs to the letter?

It's easy enough to do the math and de-rate the max tongue weight based on the increased moment on the hitch, but it would seem to me that the length limit is a bit of a mix of overly conservative safety factors and a desire to force owners into the one mount that meets this requirement.  As it happens, the only one that meets the length limit seems to be exclusive through an Audi parts department (I'm shocked!).

I'm also interested in your towing experience now that you've had a summer to pull the boat around.  It seems to me that with the low ride height you'd really have to get the bumper uncomfortably deep in the water to get the boat off the bunks!  Pretty sure the boat will always ride behind my truck, but knowing if the Q7 is an option would be nice in case I ever needed it.  

16 minutes ago, ajive said:

The factory hitch has a super short 6.2" max length for the mount and finding one that is that short and also one that has enough rise to get nearly anything level is pretty much impossible.

How much rise do you need?  There are tons of tall rise hitches with short shanks. eTrailer.com etc.

26 minutes ago, ajive said:

I just picked up a '17 Q7 with the 3.0T.  I don't really intend to pull the boat with it, but we do plan on getting a travel trailer.  I had a question for you on your ball mount.  The factory hitch has a super short 6.2" max length for the mount and finding one that is that short and also one that has enough rise to get nearly anything level is pretty much impossible.

Did you just ignore that and go with a mount that worked for you or did you follow the Audi specs to the letter?

It's easy enough to do the math and de-rate the max tongue weight based on the increased moment on the hitch, but it would seem to me that the length limit is a bit of a mix of overly conservative safety factors and a desire to force owners into the one mount that meets this requirement.  As it happens, the only one that meets the length limit seems to be exclusive through an Audi parts department (I'm shocked!).

I'm also interested in your towing experience now that you've had a summer to pull the boat around.  It seems to me that with the low ride height you'd really have to get the bumper uncomfortably deep in the water to get the boat off the bunks!  Pretty sure the boat will always ride behind my truck, but knowing if the Q7 is an option would be nice in case I ever needed it.  

Check out something like B&W Stow and Go to get a short moment arm with an adjustable rise.

28 minutes ago, ajive said:

I don't really intend to pull the boat with it, but we do plan on getting a travel trailer.    

What size TT?  I like these German SUV's for towing boats--a lot--but a TT is a big sail and the same weight on a TT is a lot more to control than the same weight on a boat.  Length of the TT and surface area of the front impact the towing experience in addition to weight, especially when it is blowing out.  Also, you can't use a WDH on the Audi I don't think because its a unibody frame.  I would just say proceed with caution before you invest in a TT and then don't like how it tows.    

1 hour ago, jjackkrash said:

What size TT?  I like these German SUV's for towing boats--a lot--but a TT is a big sail and the same weight on a TT is a lot more to control than the same weight on a boat.  Length of the TT and surface area of the front impact the towing experience in addition to weight, especially when it is blowing out.  Also, you can't use a WDH on the Audi I don't think because its a unibody frame.  I would just say proceed with caution before you invest in a TT and then don't like how it tows.    

Yeah, definitely understand it will be sub optimal!  We are looking at 19-20', <5500 loaded, and will put a sway control arm on it.  Really will be limited to like a 3 hour radius inside the mountain ranges when we would want to pull both a trailer and boat somewhere and will have to watch the wind forcast in the breezy NW.  Our primary campground with a lake is 50 miles away.

Beyond that the F150 will be in charge for taking it to the mountains or anything.

The WDH thing was a surprise that I didn't realize when I got it.  Not a huge deal I guess but the truck wants one above 5000lbs so if I get one that has a good carrying capacity and want to load it down for a long trip I may be in a situation where I have to reconfigure from the sway arm to a WDH.

5500 lbs. in a TT is going to like between 600 to almost 700 lbs. on the hitch to avoid the wig wags and porposing, plus any hitch weight.   I'd look into that number first.  

4 hours ago, ajive said:

I just use a  0 drop receiver. Tows my boat great which I estimate about 6500# wet. I get a little squat but I don’t stress on it. I was a bit worried but it has exceeded my expectation.   Exhaust is under water when I launch and retrieve but isn’t an issue. I just make sure to leave it running. I also walk my boat on the trailer 90% of the time so I try to get it pretty deep. I use the camera and put it in until the “V” of the trailer is at water level. I would not hesitate getting another Q for my use. I also tow a pretty heavy dump trailer on occasion which has weighed more than the boat and it did just fine. No WDH for anything I tow. wDH for a travel trailer  would be a good idea for the added wind resistance but the Q has plenty of power and braking IMHO. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Q7 TDI without the air suspension and am in the market for a couple year old 23 LSV.  The car is rated for 5500 lbs and the boat with trailer looks to be closer to 7000.  Is the air suspension critical?  Is the 5500 rating just because they didn't do different ratings for different engines in 2014 (the 2020 has less torque and is rated for 7700) or is there more to it?  Being new to towing I would love if someone can educate me a little :)

Thank you,

Nate

And to be clear, we would normally have the boat parked at a dock near our house.  The towing would be for 1, maybe 2 trips a year, probably not more than 3-4 hours away.  Some hills but don't need to be a speed demon.

Towing a 7000 pounds with a vehicle rated at 5500 pounds is probably ok for REALLY short trips, or launch/retrieve (although I would have real concerns about the weight of the boat pulling the tow vehicle backwards down a steep ramp), but it sounds like a very bad idea for 3 - 4 hours.  I've towed at max tow ratings, and it isn't a pleasant experience.

Does Audi follow the SAE tow ratings?  If so, there are standards they have to meet to give a tow rating.

I’m no expert on this, but we recently purchased an X7 for towing and were also cross shopping the Q7. They both had similar towing capacities. We ended up deciding on the X7 so I am more familiar with that scenario. With the X7 it turned out the car was rated 5500  lbs if you didn’t get the factory tow package. Adding the factory tow package gives the 7700 lbs and also included bigger brakes even though this wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the sales information(found out through research and parts diagrams). I think that’s part of the reason for the higher capacity rating. Also I do notice the air suspension adjusting quite a bit when we load the trailer. I think without it there would be a lot of sag in the back. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m no expert on this, but we recently purchased an X7 for towing and were also cross shopping the Q7. They both had similar towing capacities. We ended up deciding on the X7 so I am more familiar with that scenario. With the X7 it turned out the car was rated 5500  lbs if you didn’t get the factory tow package. Adding the factory tow package gives the 7700 lbs and also included bigger brakes even though this wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the sales information(found out through research and parts diagrams). I think that’s part of the reason for the higher capacity rating. Also I do notice the air suspension adjusting quite a bit when we load the trailer. I think without it there would be a lot of sag in the back. 

The 4 corner air suspension on the Audi, BMW and MB are absolutely key to having a great towing rig.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this thread a bit.  Is anybody towing a 22 or 23 LSV with a 2nd generation Q7 (2017+)?  Mine is rated to tow 7700#.  Boat coming in is 5200, guessing the trailer will make it 6500 or so.  Interested to hear how they do at the ramp and towing longer distances.  

1 hour ago, Sixer said:

Bumping this thread a bit.  Is anybody towing a 22 or 23 LSV with a 2nd generation Q7 (2017+)?  Mine is rated to tow 7700#.  Boat coming in is 5200, guessing the trailer will make it 6500 or so.  Interested to hear how they do at the ramp and towing longer distances.  

I can't imagine a 23LSV coming in at less than 7000 pounds.  I've had my 2014 on a scale when it was brand new, and nothing in it.  Was 6200 pounds.  Add in 400 pounds for fuel, another 300 in lead (on my boat anyway) any coolers, gear, etc.  The new LSVs are certainly heavier than mine.

Anyway, if you go with the TV you suggest, I would say the one upgrade you have to do is change to electric or electric over hydraulic brakes if you launch/retrieve on a ramp with any level of steepness.  I've my had my LSV pull both my Yukon XL and my Expedition MAX down the ramp several feet with the tow vehicle brakes locked up. 

I changed to electric brakes at the end of last season.

Mine is only 21.5 VLX but it does just fine. Done a few long (ish) trips fully loaded for a week long trip and towed fine over long distances. Launching and retrieving have been no problem. I keep plenty of space for braking no mater what I’m towing with but I have never had any instances that left me uncomfortable.  A 22 and 23 will be heavier than my 21.5 but I’m not sure it would be enough to tip the scales. I have been wanting to get another truck but not because the Audi can’t handle the job. 
edit: IMHO it tows better than my old 2007 Tahoe. 

Edited by isellacuras
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at a 2021 Q7 with the tow package.  Boat & trailer are around 7,000 fully loaded.  Currently towing with a 2010 Toyota Sequoia.  Does great, rated at 8,800.  Oddly under the new standards they dropped to 7,200, so rated at less than the Q7 even though it has the 5.7L V8 and transmission cooler.  Love the Audi but concerned it won't do as well as the Sequoia does.  Getting ready to retire soon so want this to be my last vehicle.  The Sequoia is still rock solid at 10 years old, hoping and Audi will be the same.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:52 PM, Q7Bound said:

I'm looking at a 2021 Q7 with the tow package.  Boat & trailer are around 7,000 fully loaded.  Currently towing with a 2010 Toyota Sequoia.  Does great, rated at 8,800.  Oddly under the new standards they dropped to 7,200, so rated at less than the Q7 even though it has the 5.7L V8 and transmission cooler.  Love the Audi but concerned it won't do as well as the Sequoia does.  Getting ready to retire soon so want this to be my last vehicle.  The Sequoia is still rock solid at 10 years old, hoping and Audi will be the same.

What boat are you towing?  Most of my towing will be from storage to the lake or to the dealership for service, which are all around an hour.  Otherwise my boat will live on a lift in the summer.  I'm hopeful that for these shorter trips the Q7 will be fine.  I'm a little nervous about going to the boat ramp for the first time.  Slow and steady is the game plan.....

• 1 month later...

hey guys, i have a q8 i want to tow with, it has the towing package built in, what kind of hitch should i get, how long, lowered, raised? variable? picking the boat up in a week or 2 cant wait to drop that hitch into the receiver !

35 minutes ago, EricLsv said:

hey guys, i have a q8 i want to tow with, it has the towing package built in, what kind of hitch should i get, how long, lowered, raised? variable? picking the boat up in a week or 2 cant wait to drop that hitch into the receiver !

Does your Q8 have the air susp? (Prestige trim)   I highly recommend getting the Audi hitch mount as it is ideal (properly rated, and very short.)  Audi requires that you use a very short ball mount.  I know for my Q7 w/ air suspension I had it flipped over (raise instead of drop) but I could always raise or lower the car as needed to get the boat level.  My wife now has an SQ8 Prestige (so with the air susp) and I will also use the ball mount inverted on that car as well.