Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunscape 23 LSV for surfing and wakeboarding

Pbliton29

16 hours ago, Pbliton29 said:

Alright everyone- looking at Malibu 23 LSV! Is the 409 HP engine plenty to ski, surf, and board, or is the 450 HP necessary?

Thanks!

Even the 409 is only really necessary if you're towing at altitude.  The standard engines will do everything you need the boat to do without any issue in IL.

I've skied the 14 T22. It really wasn't that bad for what it is and my abilities. I did fill the bow ballast and had a crew of only a driver and spotter which helped. Also fuel was less than a half tank.

• 3 years later...

sorry to bring up this old thread, 

I'm using a 23ft lsv sunscape.

how much ballast is a good target for the rear and front (mine came with malibu launch system, so has manual wedge, center locker ballast sack and tower).

1 hour ago, Zloe said:

sorry to bring up this old thread, 

I'm using a 23ft lsv sunscape.

how much ballast is a good target for the rear and front (mine came with malibu launch system, so has manual wedge, center locker ballast sack and tower).

So you have center ballast and wedge only?  Are you looking for surf or wake boarding?  Below is for surfing.

I would be looking for around 900lb bags for each rear compartment.  I'll fill the rear sacks to around 3/4 full (for the compartment) then can adjust for the people in the boat and which side the rider is on.  Typically bias the weight more to the rider side.  

Need bow weight too.  Might be able to get a U-shaped bag under the seats.   Need weight in the front to add length to the surf wave and help balance the boat.  Factory bow weight was 250lbs.  Plus will need some additional weight in the way of lead or more water.  

Suckgate of some kind for surfing 

• Like 2

correct. center ballast and wedge so far. Also have wake creator 2.0 surfgate, which hasn't helped much but I'm thinking because not enough weight so far.  I have the wakeboarding pretty figured out, am looking for surfing recs so thanks for the response. 

Same recipe here as @blk93jeepzj but without any bow bag.  I used a Nauticurl and the more people up front, the better...just know that they'll probably get wet if the driver isn't careful.  I put 150lbs of lead up front and it really helped the ride, not just surfing.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Zloe said:

correct. center ballast and wedge so far. Also have wake creator 2.0 surfgate, which hasn't helped much but I'm thinking because not enough weight so far.  I have the wakeboarding pretty figured out, am looking for surfing recs so thanks for the response. 

It does seem to help to bias the weight a bit to the surfers wave.  It appears the the fuel tank is in about the same location on the 02 Sunsetter as my 04 Wakesetter.  I have found that sticking the suckgate (in red) directly below the fuel fill as low on the hull as you can seems to give us the best consistent wave.  For us we have to use the wedge too or have no push at all.  

image.png.e872a587126db626565a94ad68ca4e8f.png

Huge asterisk on weight depends on the crew size each time and where they want to sit.  I do run the factory MLS bow bag (250lbs).  I also have about 150lbs of lead in the bow as @formulaben does.  I used to run another bag on top of the seats the was 175lbs but have figured out how to dial it in without it now.    If you can find your own weights (Wheel weights, lead or steel, ect) the 12" Husky document bags are great to fill and easily slide up in the gunnels in the bow in front and/or rear of the cupholders.  I keep about 4-6 up there.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12-in-Document-Organizer-Bag-HD25100-TH/312387500

I have a 2001 Sunscape 23LSV. I have manual wedge, 900s in each rear box (filled 100% surf side, 75% non surf side) 275 Wakemakers bag in ski locker and 200lb bags under the front bow seats. Also have about 400lb of lead under bow seats/cubbies. Swell Mega wake shaper. Throws a pretty good wave. You definitely want at least the 900s in back and try to get at least 500lbs in bow. If I don’t have my bow weight the wave push is weak. With this setup it’s pretty good. Still dialing things in but can easily drop the rope on multiple boards. I’m 5’8” 175lbs. 

Just ordered 1100s for the back. (Eight.3 brand seemed to be the best price) and I need to figure out the center and front ballast situation.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just a matter of getting out there and tweaking.

Where do you get lead weight for the front?

16 hours ago, Bushmankev said:

I have a 2001 Sunscape 23LSV. I have manual wedge, 900s in each rear box (filled 100% surf side, 75% non surf side) 275 Wakemakers bag in ski locker and 200lb bags under the front bow seats. Also have about 400lb of lead under bow seats/cubbies. Swell Mega wake shaper. Throws a pretty good wave. You definitely want at least the 900s in back and try to get at least 500lbs in bow. If I don’t have my bow weight the wave push is weak. With this setup it’s pretty good. Still dialing things in but can easily drop the rope on multiple boards. I’m 5’8” 175lbs. 

The factory center tank on the 2004-2006 Wakesetters was 500lbs.  Might help to add some "lead" weight under the helm and in the observers compartment to get some center weight.  

14 minutes ago, Zloe said:

Just ordered 1100s for the back. (Eight.3 brand seemed to be the best price) and I need to figure out the center and front ballast situation.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just a matter of getting out there and tweaking.

Where do you get lead weight for the front?

"lead" can be acquired from some of the smaller tire shops in the form of wheel weights.  Harder and harder to get actual lead and get more steel.  

Leadwake.com  other online options too.

Don't forget you will need to buy or build reinforcement for the engine panels or they will push in with all the additional water weight.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Zloe said:

How about some lead engine panels?:biggrin:

Might flex a bit but you could try it.  lol

My brother just removed a lead shower pan to do a bathroom remodel.  Sheet was about 4' x 4' x 1/4", weighed close to 75-100lbs.  Could make some nice flat pieces out of that to stuff here and there in the boat.  

@blk93jeepzj It looks like you have a 2004 23 LSV.  The hull changed significantly from 2003 to 2004, so there may be some differences is weight and weight shaper placement.

I have 1100 lb bag in the rear, and my center ski locker full ~400-500lbs.  You will need the engine compartment reinforement for any large rear bags.  Also, you definitely want bow weight as someone else said, the wake has less push without it.  I had the most success with the wake shaper as far back as possible.  I have been debating whether to cut out those stupid coolers under the bow seats to make room for another bag in the bow.

4 hours ago, cla10beck said:

@blk93jeepzj It looks like you have a 2004 23 LSV.  The hull changed significantly from 2003 to 2004, so there may be some differences is weight and weight shaper placement.

Yes, I realize I have an 04 and noted that in my posts.  However, the basic 40% bow, 60% rear still is a great starting place for many of the 2000 era boats for wakesurfing.   It's all trial and error after that depending on crew, fuel, coolers, batteries, ect.   

Update. Got out on the water today.

No ballast in back, only family in boat (me, wife and 4 small kids), tank full of gas, wedge down and tried the surf gate under gas hole (thanks @blk93jeepzj). Significant improvement in wake for surfing. I'm about 175#s and could drop the rope and do some carving. 

1100s arrived tonight a few days early.

Found some cheap weight for the front.

Things are looking up. Lol.

found good deal on used 1273 Acme prop.  Will report back after using it. the acme 537seemed a bit sluggish when I had the boat filled with kids and pulling some heavy tubes the other week. 

Edited by Zloe
  • Like 2
On 7/15/2023 at 9:23 PM, Zloe said:

Update. Got out on the water today.

No ballast in back, only family in boat (me, wife and 4 small kids), tank full of gas, wedge down and tried the surf gate under gas hole (thanks @blk93jeepzj). Significant improvement in wake for surfing. I'm about 175#s and could drop the rope and do some carving. 

1100s arrived tonight a few days early.

Found some cheap weight for the front.

Things are looking up. Lol.

found good deal on used 1273 Acme prop.  Will report back after using it. the acme 537seemed a bit sluggish when I had the boat filled with kids and pulling some heavy tubes the other week. 

Yeah the 537 won't work very well once ya add even more weight.  

Glad to hear the you are on the right path to get a good surf wave.