Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunscape 23 LSV for surfing and wakeboarding

Pbliton29

For sure, the whole back... (sun pad and well as back seat piece and looking at it the side combing pads.) Not sure on the seat bottoms but sometimes the project turns into a "where do you stop" if the match isn't perfect. Also looking at the pictures of the Tommy's boat, it was obviously left in the water for long periods of time. Doesn't show that it has a bimini (maybe it does but don't see it in pictures). Also would have to check if the bottom right screen has been replaced as those have issues of delaminating and its a 2G repair. (ask me how i know) where the 2010 doesn't have that screen. The 2010 trailer appears to be much nicer than the eagle one on the 2011. Also no front ballast in the 2011. 

basically when you add it up, the money saved upfront will go out the window and more and you still wonder what the history of that boat is given its rough initial pictures. The price delta is  only 5k without any negotiations started.

5 minutes ago, Pbliton29 said:

Thanks guys!

Would only the back need to be replaced?  Or the vinyl on the whole boat?  The boat is listed for 45k on marketplace- it seems enticing knowing its listed for 10-15k less than other similar boats with similar hours.  Would the price make up the difference for replacing some vinyl?

How many hours would you expect out of a Malibu LSV?

Thanks!

I could not find pics of the boat in question. My boat is stored in storage, however when I bring it home and cover it, my sunpad turns pink. Some time in the sun and it goes back to normal color. I don't know what this boat interior looks like so it might be shot or not.

How many hours would you expect out of a Malibu.... Well... maintenance will be the main influence of longevity. I have close to 1300 hrs on my 2010 and the only issue I have right now is the vinyl (need new sunpads, center rear seat). A well maintained boat could get you > 5000 hours. There are other influences as well... WOT for long periods of time... extremely weighted boat vs non weighted boat (I am on the extreme side ;) ).

Other considerations to take into comparison between the WakeSetter and SunSetter is that the WakeSetter will have subfloor ballast plumbed in (not enough for surfing but a very good foundation to start at) while the SunSetter has no ballast. So now you would have to look at cost of also adding ballast to the Sunsetter as well.

The WakeSetter you could simply plug n play 2 bags in rear locker and be surf ready. However these boats (Either one you are currently looking at) like weight. I did add gosurfassist to my boat for surfing (automated surf system) and I run all factory full with 2 1100's in rear locker, 600 under surfside coffin seat, removed tank from front and replaced with a 1100lb triangle.

If I were you, I would seriously look at the WakeSetter that @Slurpee showed... I bought my boat from them as well and was worth the drive from texas to go get (very courtesy sales and support).

@Pbliton29, take care of the engine and you'll get thousands with regular maintenance.  500 hours is nothing.  To me that means it got the regular 50 hours of use a summer (easy average for a loving boat family) and probably the regular maintenance as well.

That vinyl is not just a red flag. It's a major project.  Your boat will be out of service for a good long while to get the vinyl stripped and replaced.  Also, as mentioned, it's a sign that the previous owners didn't keep up the boat's maintenance.  Haggle them down a LOT and live with it if you want.   But it strikes me as really hard to be proud of that boat and show it off to your friends and family.  It's like coming to your friends backyard BBQ with muddy board shorts and mustard all over your shirt.

I posted the links again for ease of looking them up.

Look close at the pictures of that boat.  The wheels of the trailer show that the bearing seals are likely blown, the hull is stained pretty good, adn a white hull can be cleaned for pictures pretty easy, the second to last picture shows a chuck out of the gel coat.  All that tells you the boat has not been treated well.

https://www.tommysofdetroit.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7601051&p=1&s=Year&d=D&year=2011&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

As for the vinyl, you will be replacing it all.  you can do it a little at a time, but can't match it because the vinyl from back then isn't available anymore.  

for a small price difference, you can get a near identical boat that looks near showroom new.

Look at the one Slurpee posted, find the problems..... and its a diamond hull.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2010-Malibu-Boats-Wakesetter-23-LSV-for-sale-Cincinnati-Ohio-102791.aspx

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, QmanBu said:

For sure, the whole back... (sun pad and well as back seat piece and looking at it the side combing pads.) Not sure on the seat bottoms but sometimes the project turns into a "where do you stop" if the match isn't perfect. Also looking at the pictures of the Tommy's boat, it was obviously left in the water for long periods of time. Doesn't show that it has a bimini (maybe it does but don't see it in pictures). Also would have to check if the bottom right screen has been replaced as those have issues of delaminating and its a 2G repair. (ask me how i know) where the 2010 doesn't have that screen. The 2010 trailer appears to be much nicer than the eagle one on the 2011. Also no front ballast in the 2011. 

basically when you add it up, the money saved upfront will go out the window and more and you still wonder what the history of that boat is given its rough initial pictures. The price delta is  only 5k without any negotiations started.

Thanks! 

How can you tell the boat was in the water for a long time?  Would this cause mechanical problems?

The salesman said it has 4 ballasts- doesn't that include one in the front?

I guess where I'm at, is that this boat seems a decent price for a 2011 wakesetter with 250 hours.  I'm not really concerned with the cosmetic aspect of the pinking.  Now if this boat looks like there will be mechanical issues, or the pinking will cause further damage to vinyl aside from color, or any damage to humans or dogs- different story. 

Am I off on this?  Don't want to make a rookie mistake.

Then the salesman doesn’t know what he’s talking about. There is no front ballast because there is a walkway in the bow.  Looking at the ballast fittings under the rub rail I see both the left and right rear as well as the center, but no front. While the vinyl may only be cosmetic, it truly is an underlying demonstration of how the owner took care of the boat mechanically. 9 out of 10 people who understand these boats would rather take a slightly higher hour boat knowing it’s been taken care of then a lower hour boat that has been neglected. 

As long as you are OK with the pinking, it is safe.  You will drop thousands for a new interior when you sell though. Or take a haircut. There is pond scum (brown stuff) on the hull.  I am surprised Tommy's did not detail that boat better.  That could be permanent staining and I would check for osmotic blistering to be safe.  

9 minutes ago, asnowman said:

I posted the links again for ease of looking them up.

Look close at the pictures of that boat.  The wheels of the trailer show that the bearing seals are likely blown, the hull is stained pretty good, adn a white hull can be cleaned for pictures pretty easy, the second to last picture shows a chuck out of the gel coat.  All that tells you the boat has not been treated well.

https://www.tommysofdetroit.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=7601051&p=1&s=Year&d=D&year=2011&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

As for the vinyl, you will be replacing it all.  you can do it a little at a time, but can't match it because the vinyl from back then isn't available anymore.  

for a small price difference, you can get a near identical boat that looks near showroom new.

Look at the one Slurpee posted, find the problems..... and its a diamond hull.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2010-Malibu-Boats-Wakesetter-23-LSV-for-sale-Cincinnati-Ohio-102791.aspx

Thank you.  So the 560 hours on the one @Slurpee posted isn't a concern?  Still seems like it would outlast the 250 hours on the other?  

I see it has a power wedge too- I know those aren't cheap. 

Appreciate all the help.

For the second last time, 560 hours is NOTHING for an inboard that has had the  minimal amount of routine maintenance.  2500 hours is not uncommon on club or show boats and they are still good.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Pbliton29 said:

Thank you.  So the 560 hours on the one @Slurpee posted isn't a concern?  Still seems like it would outlast the 250 hours on the other?  

Appreciate all the help.

You will be getting way more boat from slurpees choice for minimal up charge. 

I will say that the one from Tommy's looks rough all over.. I have 1200 hours on my boat and my engine compartment still looks like new. 

I will also argue that a well maintained boat with hours is better than low hours.. Anything mechanical is better when used... while low hours might make you think it will last longer.. it really is not true. The worst thing you can do to something is let it sit and not use it. Moisture gets in cylinders, gaskets dry rot...  etc etc etc.. 

10 minutes ago, Pbliton29 said:

Appreciate all the help.

560 hours means its been used, but the condition overall talks to how well its been maintained.

one of my ski buddies is in a 95 tantrum, the hour meter quit on him about 10 years ago, at like 3000 hours.  it still runs like a top.  its his dedicated ski tug, so he maintains the engine well.

i think @Eagleboy99 has mentioned it a couple times, 560 hours is not a huge number for a 2010.

the 2010 obviously has a bimini, extra bow cleat and underwater LED's, can't say the 2011 has those. and diamond hull.

Our 2005 LXi was serviced through NoWake before we bought it, and it was cleaner than they described when i drove down and picked it up (14 hrs each way).

It appears that the boat has sat outside, under cover for awhile. Hard to tell on what vinyl needs to be replaced until you actually get in it. I doubt you can’t get the OEM vinyl or colors any more, close but not an exact match. It might not bug you now, but a number on here it would. You can figure at least @ $350 a rear hatch if not more to reskin and I am guessing here. That MY, mine included had seam issues at the bead and panel junctures so I would be willing to bet the lower rear corner and center cushions (high traffic areas) may need to be redone as well. In for a penny, in for a pound when it comes to vinyl in my book. Then you are out a couple $2K most likely for just the back end vinyl. Have to find a guy, (Viper Customs in Knoxville is where I would go) wait in line...  Like @QmanBu said, 50 hrs a year is dead on for most. Hate to say it, it might be a members boat, but you  may be able to get the seller to come off of the price for the hours on the other boat. As with any used vehicle there are a lot of unknowns. 

Edited by wdr
Sp

Bottom line on this for me is if I am dropping that kind of coin, I wouldn’t want to buy into a project boat no matter how small the project. And that project would drive me nuts until I got it fixed. 🤪

Pay the dealer for a compression check and diacom report on the Slurpee boat, buy it, and be happy skiing, surfing, and wakeboarding.  That boat looks to be in very nice shape for the age, which generally speaks to the type of care and upkeep it got during its lifetime.  If you're concerned about it, I'm sure there are some Cinci-based crew members here who wouldn't mind going and putting eyes on it for you.

Thanks everyone! 

looks like it’s narrowed down to either a wakesetter 23 LSV with power wedge, or 2014 Axis T22 with SurfGate.  Got some good input from @QmanBu on these boats.

Any input on this? Pros of the LSV- 23’. Pros of T22- SurfGate.   Sounds like the T22 would be much easier to manage surfing, but smaller and maybe not as good as skiing. 

Can you ski almost as well behind a T22 as the LSV?  Still have skiers/slalom’ers in the family.

Does a 22’ feel a lot smaller than 23’? 

Would you rather have bigger LSV and finagel (sp) with ballast and wedge to surf, or go to 2014 with surf wedge and give up some room?

Thanks! 

Paul

7 hours ago, Pbliton29 said:

Thanks everyone! 

looks like it’s narrowed down to either a wakesetter 23 LSV with power wedge, or 2014 Axis T22 with SurfGate.  Got some good input from @QmanBu on these boats.

Any input on this? Pros of the LSV- 23’. Pros of T22- SurfGate.   Sounds like the T22 would be much easier to manage surfing, but smaller and maybe not as good as skiing. 

Can you ski almost as well behind a T22 as the LSV?  Still have skiers/slalom’ers in the family.

Does a 22’ feel a lot smaller than 23’? 

Would you rather have bigger LSV and finagel (sp) with ballast and wedge to surf, or go to 2014 with surf wedge and give up some room?

Thanks! 

Paul

Paul, 

Please define slalom skiers in the family. I have never skied behind a T22, but if surfing is a bigger deal than skiing to the family, the T22 is probably a better choice, just because of surfgate. The 23 will be more comfortable for a big crew, but probably not a huge difference.

Either will be a massive upgrade over your current boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ahopkins22LSV
6 hours ago, asnowman said:

Paul, 

Please define slalom skiers in the family. I have never skied behind a T22, but if surfing is a bigger deal than skiing to the family, the T22 is probably a better choice, just because of surfgate. The 23 will be more comfortable for a big crew, but probably not a huge difference.

Either will be a massive upgrade over your current boat.

Totally agree with this. Maybe @shawndoggy or @Raimie can chime in. They both gave T22’s. I feel it will be better than the bayliner you are coming from. Surf gate makes surfing so much easier and it probably already has plug in play plumbing and maybe bags. On the T everything is control by a button except for dropping the wedge which takes two seconds by the first rider. And the surf wave is amazing. 

53 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Totally agree with this. Maybe @shawndoggy or @Raimie can chime in. They both gave T22’s. I feel it will be better than the bayliner you are coming from. Surf gate makes surfing so much easier and it probably already has plug in play plumbing and maybe bags. On the T everything is control by a button except for dropping the wedge which takes two seconds by the first rider. And the surf wave is amazing. 

Thanks-

By slalom, we are not pros by any measure, but having fun making some good cuts.  Basically just want to make sure the skiing wouldn’t be unmanageable, or any worse than skiing behind a bayliner 225 inboard. 

As much as I’ll be using it for wakeboarding and surfing, others will be using it for skiing and tubing.

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

ahopkins22LSV

I think it will be better than your bayliner for skiing. Wake should flatten out pretty good at 30/32mph. Might have to play with speed and rope length to find the best setup but I’m quite sure it will be better. 

20 minutes ago, Pbliton29 said:

Thanks-

By slalom, we are not pros by any measure, but having fun making some good cuts.  Basically just want to make sure the skiing wouldn’t be unmanageable, or any worse than skiing behind a bayliner 225 inboard. 

As much as I’ll be using it for wakeboarding and surfing, others will be using it for skiing and tubing.

Appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

I don't think you will be disappointed either way. The wake behind most I/Os is very firm, especially at the lip, and doesn't have much of a table, so you often feel you are crossing 2 wakes. You should find the wake much softer feeling behind either boat, especially at around 32mph. Fill the bow ballast, at least half way, and figure out the right rope length, probably start at 15 off, and adjust from there. 

• Like 2

I have "slalomed" (in quotes because I barely know what I'm doing) behind our T22 and I've messed with short and long rope lengths to try to manage the spray to wake ratio... to short and you get blinded by the rooster, too long and the wake is a giant table top. The wake is real firm and kinda big.  But again I'm not really that good (actually not good at all).

I guess the takeaway is that it can be done but you'll certainly know that the boat isn't the optimal tool for the job.

we do have a ski pylon (how else are ya supposed to pull yer tubes?).