Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to size a lift canopy system - Help.

MustGoFast

So bought my lift without a canopy to save some coin when I bought the boat. This spring it's canopy time.  That said - how does one "size" the canopy? 

I have a T22 which I believe is about 24' w/ platform.  Lift is a Max Lift - Here's the questions I have. 

1. Length of Frame - I was thinking a 26' (longer may impede the dock) - will that work?
  2. Height of risers - They come in 4' or 6' - my local thinks I can get under either with the tower up but I wasn't sure anyone have experience to share there?  Canopy itself is 29" deep on these.
  3. Length of Valence - 12" below the canopy is standard - 24" is offered - I was thinking get the 24" for better coverage - any downside other than cost, Is it worth it?
  4. Open end or zippered end? - Same price - I thought zippered and can be tucked/velcro'd up while out for easy tower entry but wasn't sure if that would still get in the way of the tower on entry
  5. What accessories? Options:
    1. Storage Cargo Net in the front (no idea the cost seems convenient, but because my boat is at public I wouldn't leave anything of value in there. - Liked the though of wet stuff but it would just drip into the boat)
    2. Lighting - Again don't know the cost but could be convenient sometimes
    3. Inside battery box - Seems like a no brainer to move inside rather than outside
    4. ??? Is there something I'm not aware of?
Edited by MustGoFast
On 1/19/2020 at 6:19 PM, MustGoFast said:

So bought my lift without a canopy to save some coin when I bought the boat. This spring it's canopy time.  That said - how does one "size" the canopy? 

I have a T22 which I believe is about 24' w/ platform.  Lift is a Max Lift - Here's the questions I have. 

1. Length of Frame - I was thinking a 26' (longer may impede the dock) - will that work?
  2. Height of risers - They come in 4' or 6' - my local thinks I can get under either with the tower up but I wasn't sure anyone have experience to share there?  Canopy itself is 29" deep on these.
  3. Length of Valence - 12" below the canopy is standard - 24" is offered - I was thinking get the 24" for better coverage - any downside other than cost, Is it worth it?
  4. Open end or zippered end? - Same price - I thought zippered and can be tucked/velcro'd up while out for easy tower entry but wasn't sure if that would still get in the way of the tower on entry
  5. What accessories? Options:
    1. Storage Cargo Net in the front (no idea the cost seems convenient, but because my boat is at public I wouldn't leave anything of value in there. - Liked the though of wet stuff but it would just drip into the boat)
    2. Lighting - Again don't know the cost but could be convenient sometimes
    3. Inside battery box - Seems like a no brainer to move inside rather than outside
    4. ??? Is there something I'm not aware of?

Congrats!  I had a Max at one point.  Pretty good product, too.  I would suggest you get the 206' canopy frame at a minimum.  Also, I'd go with the 6' risers.  I think you can get in there with the 4' but the 6' is overall better IMO.  For sure get the 24" valance.  I didn't and wished I had.  Zippered end is kind of quirky to me.  It's a PITA to zip up and zip down.  For me, I didn't get it.  I have no comment on the battery box because I had shore power and didn't need solar for my hoist.  The cargo net is good only if you can leave things there without the fear of theft and you're right....don't want wet stuff dripping on the boat.  As far as lighting is concerned, I would DIY that.  Some LED with a remote to turn it on and off when needed (i.e. pulling in at night) would be sweet.  I actually want to put LED on my cradle under the bunks to light it up at night when I come it so I can see things better.  

Good luck.  

FYI have Max and I past also

Zip up back for sure however here is some advise. You are probably 24'6"ft so a 26 is only goi6to be 6-8" front back coverage.. I'd go 28 because u will not want to zip and unzip all the time if long enough just leave up and let your boat dry out quicker and with longer 28-30ft coverage u don't need worry about rain . But over 28ft u won't be able to reach it on platform to unzip. 

I have 32ft canopy with a 25lsv which is about 27-27'6 w platform it's hard to reach zipper unless shifted back a hair but rain is not an issue and it's up all year and I'm dry all the time with good air flow!!

Valance 24 is minimum, I did a custom 30" and loved it, 35innis too flappy in wind u can add some bungee tie loops if needed . With 30in drop u can keep tower up and get about rub rail coverage.

12in is pointless nobody wants that or to cover their boat under a lift

I'd highly suggest u ask about the super deep dish canopy!!!!!!!! Most are unaware of it but super deep dish canopy with 24in drop gets u well below rub rail coverage with the taller g4 tower up, u need 6ft uprights and if longer canopy get angle supports

Full coverage with tower up will yield waaaaay better resale. Why have a boat lift ifbu have to also cover it under lift? Gets all moldy, keeping back end open airs out but keeps dry! 

If u have their wireless boat lift motor unjust need the flex canopy lift or lights from lakelite.com I'd recommend orange not as bright but doesn't draw bugs!!! Had white got rid of it in 1 day swapped to dual orange one in front and one in rear so I can keep Bimini deployed without blocking canopy lights. Lakelite.com has a wireless light controller for like 40 bucks if u don't already have a wireless motor to plug light into. 

Storage net $100-150 at stow-zall boat lift storage nets. My lift is 12ft wide inside monster Soni did custom width and depth an absolute must have for storage u will never not own one again!! If u have 10ft lift a standard size will do but if u go longer canopy u may want a 1ft deeper one so I'd decide after getting canopy and measure.. worth getting it Right. If u get super deep dish canopy u could do 2 levels of nets I may do that this year. 

Dripping in boat isn't an issue half will go around bow into water and open rear on lift plenty of air flow.

Batter tray absolutely get the canopy mount ones I have a few extra (special max style)  if u want to buy PM me way better under canopy. Anything else is absurd.

Other accessories I think make life easy are walk on guide on steps for boarding and extra bumpers ifbundont have the premier walk on guide ons.. even the wife can park.. 

Oh huge bonus for super deep dish canopy is it doubles for hanging and drying 20+ towels so we don't have to take them up each time. Towels all stay in lift all year just come out to be washed a few times.. 

Photos of deep dish and my setup https://photos.app.goo.gl/RMyAC42whPrPXMAq7

Edited by The Hulk

Thanks @The Hulk -

Who is Monster Soni?  And yes I have wireless already so I'll have to check out lakelite vs max for options there.  Also I saw the super extended valance, but don't know the cost yet and appreciate the reco.

One last question for you - Why zipper'd end for you (also how did you keep your zippered end up in those pictures)?  and why not for you @Slayer - is the pita zipping a length issue as hulk described or something else?

14 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Thanks @The Hulk -

Who is Monster Soni?  And yes I have wireless already so I'll have to check out lakelite vs max for options there.  Also I saw the super extended valance, but don't know the cost yet and appreciate the reco.

One last question for you - Why zipper'd end for you (also how did you keep your zippered end up in those pictures)?  and why not for you @Slayer - is the pita zipping a length issue as hulk described or something else?

on the zipper end the horizontal rib is moved up higher for more clearance pulling out thus called (open back end) at the top there are a few straps so after you roll up you can button the "rolled up part" and it will then hold there. i leave mine that way all year since i'm long on the canopy even in high winds/rains at most i get my swim platform wet and extreme winds a little misting on the transom but the good thing is it dries out instantly. our boat is normally soaked after a weekend so it fully dries out.  First few times i zipped down at end of weekend and it was MUSTY as all heck, especially if you get some hot dead calm days .

with slightly longer canopy and leaving it open my soaked boat + towels are bone dry all the time. aprox 40+mph winds below pic. shes handled 60+ fine. 

20170619_192316.jpg

15 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Thanks @The Hulk -

It's part of what @The Hulksaid as well as accessibility from the boat.  When I had my MAX, I didn't have a wake boat, only my Response LXi.  So I had a 24' Canopy and reach was a big issue to get to the zippers to get them zipped.  My RLXi had a tower at the time (I've since removed it) and I liked that I could get in and out with the tower up and didn't care if the tower graced the canopy cover when going in an out as it was ever so slight contact that I had no issues so I just left it zipped.  

• 3 weeks later...

Awaiting the quote for a 28' w/ 6' risers and the 24" valence - saw the super deep dish not sure it's worth the additional price, but checking it out.  Going with the zipper rear entry.

Once I've got it I'll get the lakelite lighting :) @The Hulk

On 2/10/2020 at 7:58 PM, MustGoFast said:

Awaiting the quote for a 28' w/ 6' risers and the 24" valence - saw the super deep dish not sure it's worth the additional price, but checking it out.  Going with the zipper rear entry.

Once I've got it I'll get the lakelite lighting :) @The Hulk

Super deep dish is the envoy of the lake .. funny to watch all the wake boats pull up and check out the lift! 

you want to set your lift up so that you can at least pull in without lowering the tower but to get good coverage you'll need to lower the tower.. if you're late fluctuates it could be a PIA.. why I changed..we can fluctuate 2ft so at high level fold tower to get under , if raise canopy up then u miss on coverage when u lift all way up. Unless u get the extra high 80" lift height. I think 09i98minimum up charge.

The price increase is a lot to do with all the extra canvus. But compared to 6-8k screen options that still let water in it's a way better deal and less hassle.

I think you'll like whatever option u go with, great lifts and u can always add options/accessories as u see fit later on. The walk on guide ons are a must though! 

Great resale too! Lift prices going up about 10% annually! 

Edited by The Hulk
3 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Super deep dish is the envoy of the lake .. funny to watch all the wake boats pull up and check out the lift! 

you want to set your lift up so that you can at least pull in without lowering the tower but to get good coverage you'll need to lower the tower.. if you're late fluctuates it could be a PIA.. why I changed..we can fluctuate 2ft so at high level fold tower to get under , if raise canopy up then u miss on coverage when u lift all way up. Unless u get the extra high 80" lift height. I think 09i98minimum up charge.

The price increase is a lot to do with all the extra canvus. But compared to 6-8k screen options that still let water in it's a way better deal and less hassle.

I think you'll like whatever option u go with, great lifts and u can always add options/accessories as u see fit later on. The walk on guide ons are a must though! 

Great resale too! Lift prices going up about 10% annually! 

Yeah I had the walk on guides and step wehn I bought it... What do you think the up charge is for the super deep dish?  Couldn't make sense of the 09i98?

22 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

Yeah I had the walk on guides and step wehn I bought it... What do you think the up charge is for the super deep dish?  Couldn't make sense of the 09i98?

No idea on up charge it's been a few years and prices have shot up on lifts and will only continue.. but I'm comparison to motorized screens that don't provide as much protection it's minimal.. less hassle too. Heard horror stories with those from multiple brands.. 

It's basically the best/most protection, and it's the least priced

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 5:24 AM, The Hulk said:

Valance 24 is minimum, I did a custom 30" and loved it, 35innis too flappy in wind u can add some bungee tie loops if needed . With 30in drop u can keep tower up and get about rub rail coverage.

Photos of deep dish and my setup https://photos.app.goo.gl/RMyAC42whPrPXMAq7

@The Hulk - so do u have a 30" drop valence on the std 29" deep frame?

The new thing is still a 24" valence on a 41" frame but adding a foot of framing adds a fair amount of expense.

7 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

@The Hulk - so do u have a 30" drop valence on the std 29" deep frame?

The new thing is still a 24" valence on a 41" frame but adding a foot of framing adds a fair amount of expense.

No , my super deep dish has 4ft vertical ribs on top of 4-5" beam + it's 1ft curve and to peak. 11in to be exact

So frame is about 63in deep + 24in valance drop, around 87-88" deep

The rib extensions are 2ft, unless they offer 2 different super deep dish heights now of 1ft and 2ft.. def do 2ft

Edited by The Hulk