Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat on trailer lengths

Slammer

Not too familiar with the forum. I’ve search a bit here and on line. Why do I care about boat length, when what everyone wants to know is boat on trailer length, “Will it fit in my garage?”

I’m just finishing building a garage and the finished area should be just over 25’. I was at a boat show last nigh in Denver and asked what the trailered lengths are on the 2020 23 MHZ and was told a number like 350”, or over 29’ with tongue folded and swim platform off!

That doesn’t make sense. So I started to look around and I can’t seem to find that info anywhere.

Can I buy a 23 or do I need to start looking at smaller boats?

33 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

I found this chart but it is a few years old and the 23MXZ hadn't been made yet. Might give you a good idea though based on the other boats.

Boatmeasurements.png

Good find

I am not sure why it would not be published either, but as far as boat length itself, many do care about it that due to slip or lake restrictions as well as registrations fuels.  

I highly doubt a 23MXZ is going to fit in a 25’ deep garage.  Even with the platform taken off, the wedge, gates, etc. are still back there.  

I have a 2020 23 MXZ On order (not yet delivered) and conducted extensive measurements as it will be a tight fit as I have 302”.  With the platform off the total length end to end was 295” for the MXZ they had in the showroom.  (24’ 7”).  This had the tongue folded, measured from the end of the wedge to the tip of the bow.  You could gain another almost 2” by dropping the wedge was well.  

as for height my dealer said I can get it under my 88” opening with 14” stock wheels and some minor suspension tweaking they will do on the trailer.  

hope that helps.  

brian

3 hours ago, djheywood said:

as for height my dealer said I can get it under my 88” opening with 14” stock wheels and some minor suspension tweaking they will do on the trailer.  

How often are you in and out of your garage? I have a hard time believing the tower is going to clear 88”. Even with the tow bar and racks off. 

quite a bit all summer.  You need to remove the racks and have the low profile straight bar.  Then they take 2" out by cranking down the suspension and I am at 88 or a hair under.  I'll let you know for sure in March when I take delivery!  It's written on my deal with the dealer.  "must fit under 88"  "

Edited by djheywood
33 minutes ago, djheywood said:

quite a bit all summer.  You need to remove the racks and have the low profile straight bar.  Then they take 2" out by cranking down the suspension and I am at 88 or a hair under.  I'll let you know for sure in March when I take delivery!  It's written on my deal with the dealer.  "must fit under 88"  "

Love it.  My wife wrote on our truck order “must fit in garage” as well.  The dealer laughed - I had to inform him we were serious.  

13 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Love it.  My wife wrote on our truck order “must fit in garage” as well.  The dealer laughed - I had to inform him we were serious.  

I also write "must fit in garage" in my boat deals or I make them haul it over to the house before I sign.  

BTW... has hard as this might be to believe you can fit a 2019 23LSV in a 24' deep garage (for storage purposes.)  During the summer we keep our 2019 23LSV in our center garage bay which is about 30 feet deep, so no issues just lowering the tower and back it in there. For the winter it is a bit of a pain having it sit in the middle bay so I like to keep it in the 3rd bay which is the furthest from the door into the house... just keep it out of the way for hibernation.  My 2008 fit fine with the platform off but the 2019 was a bit more of a challenge.  I had to remove the platform, disconnect the surfgate actuator on one side to allow it to swing in just a bit more, then I had to slightly angle the trailer (but next time I am going to try straight back... I think that might actually work with the surfgates in their normal position) and then finally I had to unbolt the swingaway trailer tongue (the pivot hinge was sticking out just an inch too far.)   A little bit of work but it allowed me to store the boat out of the way for the winter (and in the PNW the offseason is kind of long.)  I'd never keep it in this bay for the summer, way too much work.  But... I will say that if someone had 24.5 feet then they could likely just remove the platform and get it to fit without any other issues.

Lastly... for those who have any door height challenges the Gx is absolutely the way to go.  I do need to remove my board racks (which is a little quicker on the Gx vs. the G3) and then I just lower the tower and back in.  Easily clears my 8' door (and I even have an brick arch on top of the opening so my clearance on the side is only 7'4" or so.  the center is the highpoint for the Gx.... the sides (due to the tower mounts) is the high point for the G3. 

14 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

How often are you in and out of your garage? I have a hard time believing the tower is going to clear 88”. Even with the tow bar and racks off. 

Agree... I don't see it even coming close with the G3 tower even with the modified hoop.  the mounts/feet/sides over the tower stick up way too high when it is folded  You might get there with the Gx since it is pretty much below the windshield when folded but even with every tweek that is going to right at the limit.  Maybe load it up with lead to sag the suspension/tires as much as possible!  

11 hours ago, gregtay said:

Lastly... for those who have any door height challenges the Gx is absolutely the way to go.  I do need to remove my board racks (which is a little quicker on the Gx vs. the G3) and then I just lower the tower and back in.  Easily clears my 8' door (and I even have an brick arch on top of the opening so my clearance on the side is only 7'4" or so.  the center is the highpoint for the Gx.... the sides (due to the tower mounts) is the high point for the G3. 

My dealer said my 25 LSV on a triple axle, 18" wheels, GX is going to be 105" with racks. Today I completed reframing the header of my 8' door and the max I could get 113". Foam and stucco tomorrow so I am going with a safe 111". Paint Tuesday. Just need the boat to build. 

20200118_091844.jpg

20200118_122609.jpg

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, timmypop said:

My dealer said my 25 LSV on a triple axle, 18" wheels, GX is going to be 105" with racks. Today I completed reframing the header of my 8' door and the max I could get 113". Foam and stucco tomorrow so I am going with a safe 111". Paint Tuesday. Just need the boat to build. 

20200118_091844.jpg

20200118_122609.jpg

The chart I have shows your boat on a 3A trailer at 104" with 14" wheels.. so 105/106 sounds right with 18" wheels.  Sounds like you should be good with a little extra with the racks on.  It is a 10" difference with rack on/off (The chart shows your boat at 90.5 w/ 3A, Gx and racks removed.)

On 1/18/2020 at 3:24 PM, Slammer said:

Why isn’t this info on the Malibu website? Why is it something only the dealer has. Why won’t they give it to you?

I don’t understand the secrecy. 

Because they assume ppl won't buy the bigger models "thinking" there is a chance it'll fit in their pole barns or garages.. ha