Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow stop recommendation for Echelon / Response trailer

maxfir

Hi, I purchased a project 1994 Malibu Echelon LX this last summer and have been working to fix her up. As I have found out, I also purchased a project trailer. There is currently a carpeted vertical stop (crashpad) for the bow of the boat. I have never had a trailer with one of these, my past trailers always had a roller. In looking at new Boatmate trailers, they only reference the vertical crashpad style for ski boats (i.e. Response). I am considering converting the trailer to a standard roller or rubber v-stop landing below the rub rail. Those of you with Echelon / Response boats, what do you recommend? Is there a benefit to the crashpad style that is currently equipped?

Options:

1. Keep the carpeted crashpad style

2. Convert to a roller style

As can be seen in the photos, the rub rail was broken by the previous owner, my main concern with the current setup is that my new rub rail will get damaged similarly. Appreciate any feedback and tips!

Photos:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkfZ8_WsCz-ujFCBY08uffy4g-dE
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkfZ8_WsCz-ujE_K_4TSBYFwWfCG

Complete Trailer Projects:

1. brakes (converted to Kodiak disc from Drum)
2. flexible brake lines (Kodiak)
3. tongue adapter (Titan)
4. straps (boat buck)
5. LED lights (Glolights) all around along with vehicle connection to support reverse brake lock-out
6. winch

To do:
1. Tires
2. bunks (carpet / wood)

I would think there would be some rub rail ware over time with that set up. Not sure how the boat would react to a hard braking emergency. Doesnt seem like the boat is locked down to the trailer as it would be with the rubber roller. I have seen that vertical set up before, so perhaps there is nothing wrong with it.

I like the current setup you have. I wouldn't convert to a roller. A lot of the Nautique trailers have a very similar stop as to what you have.

Nautique has used the vertical crash pad style trailers for a long time on many models in the past. The major difference I see is that the bow stop you show in your pictures is a lot shorter in length. The damage to the rub rail appears as if the trailer was in the water too deep allowing the bow to go under the crash pad. 

The crash pad style actually works very good but I think you need to lengthen the height of the pads so they extend down towards the winch more to prevent the bow going under them. 

Keep the crash pad, but put longer bunk boards on like @Wayne suggested.
I had 3 Responses with Malibu bow roller trailers. Now I own a Ski Nautique with a Boatmate Trailer and the tilting crash pad bow stop. It’s perfect!

When retrieving the Response you really had to be careful of how deep you backed the trailer in. To deep or on unusually steep ramps the bow would easily catch under the bow roller leaving ugly marks on the rub rail.
With the crash pad it doesn’t matter, as long as it is not too small like the one on your trailer. Downside of the crash pad - once the boat sits on the trailer no chance to get the cover on. Luckily my new Boatmate trailer has the tilting crash pad that solves that problem.