Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu m5di

agarabaghi

For those with m5di engine and malibu screens that show digitla numbers.... when running 3000+ rpms what is your running OIL psi at? What about at idle? 

Thanks!

I might be a little high on the idle numbers, but the upper end is going to be spot on. I watch the tach pretty intently when I am loaded or otherwise "going fast". At least as fast as I reasonably can with the 2773. :horse:

way different numbers than we got. We settled at around 75 psi running after 50+ mins running and reading diacom numbers. First pass was super high, like 99psi after the engine was warmed up, then it start to drop as the day went on. The whole run was recorded and sent to malibu. 

I don't have this engine but I do know the direct injection engines are running a higher pressure oil pump and you should see much higher oil pressure numbers because of this - say maybe 60-70 at idle.   Also a reason why they are specking 5w30 oil for these.  just my take on it.

1 hour ago, SkiPablo said:

I don't have this engine but I do know the direct injection engines are running a higher pressure oil pump and you should see much higher oil pressure numbers because of this - say maybe 60-70 at idle.   Also a reason why they are specking 5w30 oil for these.  just my take on it.

I've not seen this in any of the GM direct injection engines in vehicles. They run similar oil pressure to the previous MPFI engines. They run much higher fuel pressures, but not oil pressure. I would assume the same would be true in the boat motors.

The 5.3L Direct Injection motor in my truck calls for 0w-20 oil and it runs around 25-30 psi at idle and 45-60 psi at cruise.

Correct. Malibu get the engines from GM with 0w20 which they use for the break in then recommend 5w30 (per the cap). This "issue" only showed up after the oil change (0w20 to 5w30)

5.3L PCM varient manual states 25-60psi 2000rpms. 

The 5.3 does have a solenoid on the oil pump that will make pump run higher PSI at start up till the oil reaches a certain temp / running time etc...

Waiting to head back from malibu. 

Edited by agarabaghi
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, agarabaghi said:

Correct. Malibu get the engines from GM with 0w20 which they use for the break in then recommend 5w30 (per the cap). This "issue" only showed up after the oil change (0w20 to 5w30)

5.3L PCM varient manual states 25-60psi 2000rpms. 

The 5.3 does have a solenoid on the oil pump that will make pump run higher PSI at start up till the oil reaches a certain temp / running time etc...

Waiting to head back from malibu. 

You hear anything back? 

New ECM software. Havent throw a code yet, but will be doing some testing today. The gauge stlil starts with higher PSI than im use to seeing but eventually (45-1hour of running) seems to level off at 35-40psi idle and 65-70psi load (which still seems high). New logs with ECM software was sent to malibu as well. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

New ECM software. Havent throw a code yet, but will be doing some testing today. The gauge stlil starts with higher PSI than im use to seeing but eventually (45-1hour of running) seems to level off at 35-40psi idle and 65-70psi load (which still seems high). New logs with ECM software was sent to malibu as well. 

Those PSI readings sound right in line to me. Hopefully they got it solved for you!

When you start you engine, is your PSI in the high 80s ? My gauge is pegged till engine gets to 160, then it lowers to 60 (all of this at idle). When you get over 2k rpm its once again over 80 for a bit, once the engine is totally heat soaked it slowly drops down. Everything ive seen about a 5.3L GDI is 2000rpm 25 - 60psi @ 2000rpm? Whatever waiting to hear back and hopefully no more codes. 

47 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

What weight oil are you using?

ahopkins22LSV
51 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

When you start you engine, is your PSI in the high 80s ? My gauge is pegged till engine gets to 160, then it lowers to 60 (all of this at idle). When you get over 2k rpm its once again over 80 for a bit, once the engine is totally heat soaked it slowly drops down. Everything ive seen about a 5.3L GDI is 2000rpm 25 - 60psi @ 2000rpm? Whatever waiting to hear back and hopefully no more codes. 

Well that’s different data than you just posted in the update, and no I don’t think I’ve seen that in my history. Our 2020 vtx with the M5 will be delivered late March and I’ll pay closer attention then. 

5 hours ago, jmack said:

What weight oil are you using?

That’s the change.... breakin oil is 0w20 then it’s replaced with the 5w30 and after that is when myself and the dealer started to notice the different readings