Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

HELP PLS - slalom wash on diamond cut 2019 22 LSV

crowdog01

Hi guys. 

Iv had a look but can’t seem to find a thread in this 

I am looking at a 2019 22 lsv in diamond cut hull

Want to get some feedback on slalom wash 

im a middle aged father of three. My days of skiing like will Asher have passed me. I don’t run a course and never have. But have skied my entire life. 

I understand this won’t be a response and I don’t expect it to be. Keen to know if it will be like from others experiences. Is the wake soft or hard. Do we need to play around with line length. Etc. any help appreciated

the guy at the dealer of course said it was great. His exact words were if yiur skiing above 31mph it flattens right out. 

Thx for your help 

ahopkins22LSV

It will flatten out at 31-32. I ski our VTX at 34.m and suspect that will be the best speed for you too. 

Do you have the opportunity to demo it? If you do my suggestion would be to get the boat up to speed and hold the handle at the pylon to see what rope length puts you at the flattest spot on the wake then try that length. It will probably be pretty good but it all depends on what you are expecting out of it. 

7 hours ago, crowdog01 said:

Hi guys. 

Iv had a look but can’t seem to find a thread in this 

I am looking at a 2019 22 lsv in diamond cut hull

Want to get some feedback on slalom wash 

im a middle aged father of three. My days of skiing like will Asher have passed me. I don’t run a course and never have. But have skied my entire life. 

I understand this won’t be a response and I don’t expect it to be. Keen to know if it will be like from others experiences. Is the wake soft or hard. Do we need to play around with line length. Etc. any help appreciated

the guy at the dealer of course said it was great. His exact words were if yiur skiing above 31mph it flattens right out. 

Thx for your help 

22 off will be really rough.  15 off might be really big but mellow-ish.  28 and 32 off will probably be decent-ish at 34 MPH.  The 22lsv is a pretty big heavy boat.  The 20 and 21 footers would be better for slalom.  The 2020 VTX will whip them all if you can fit your crew comfortably into one.

If the 22 is the one, you can do things like play around with bow ballast to flatten the wake somewhat.  It sounds like your expectations are reasonable enough.

Edited by UWSkier

I'm in a 23LSV but this is what I do:

• 32 off
  • 100% bow tank full
  • 33-34 mph
  • PW2 in Lift setting (you have to dismiss the alarm at 26mph)

There is a soft, sweet spot in the wake right in front of the wash that makes a difference.  The drawback is that you are on a short leash -- I just carve earlier and as an older dude, I tire out earlier -- it's all fun just to be skiing and not jumping the wake.

Edited by jammer
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, jammer said:

I'm in a 23LSV but this is what I do:

• 32 off
  • 100% bow tank full
  • 33-34 mph
  • PW2 in Lift setting (you have to dismiss the alarm at 26mph)

There is a soft, sweet spot in the wake right in front of the wash that makes a difference.  The drawback is that you are on a short leash -- I just carve earlier and as an older dude, I tire out earlier -- it's all fun just to be skiing and not jumping the wake.

thx heaps mate  appreciate it

10 hours ago, UWSkier said:

22 off will be really rough.  15 off might be really big but mellow-ish.  28 and 32 off will probably be decent-ish at 34 MPH.  The 22lsv is a pretty big heavy boat.  The 20 and 21 footers would be better for slalom.  The 2020 VTX will whip them all if you can fit your crew comfortably into one.

If the 22 is the one, you can do things like play around with bow ballast to flatten the wake somewhat.  It sounds like your expectations are reasonable enough.

thank dude.   yes I was initially looking at 20 vtx or 21 vlx.  iv kinda come across the deal of the century with the 22lsv.  which has swayed me.  just don't want to be unhappy with the slalom wash for the sake of saving some money.  appreciate your help 

On 1/15/2020 at 9:27 PM, crowdog01 said:

thank dude.   yes I was initially looking at 20 vtx or 21 vlx.  iv kinda come across the deal of the century with the 22lsv.  which has swayed me.  just don't want to be unhappy with the slalom wash for the sake of saving some money.  appreciate your help 

Better to get the boat you want vs the boat that may ski the best.  If you have a shorter boat and it skis better but your family is cramped, you won't be happy long.  If you buy the longer boat that doesn't ski as well, it will be outweighed by the space and comforts for the family, if the family is into other watersports.  If you said "everyone in our family slaloms 100% of the time or your family primarily skis, it's a different story."

We have a 22VLX and I use to slalom, somewhat competitively, and still grab the single stick a few times a year but the space on the boat, ability to take other families with us makes the boat so much more enjoyable than having a better wake for my few slalom sets.  My daughter and wife both slalom and while they can't cross as aggressive as they could behind our old boats, they still enjoy it but now most of us have transitioned into surf and wakeboarding.  I still keep the barefoot suit ready for those evening glassy glass runs and I won't win any awards but I've learned to adjust to the boat but have never felt that I couldn't do something because we went to V-drive or larger boat than we had in the past. 

I learned along time ago that family disciplines change so buy the boat that checks the most boxes for how you plan to use it and don't look back.  Sometimes the only way to determine this criteria is to take the leap...

On 1/24/2020 at 12:36 AM, wedge88 said:

Better to get the boat you want vs the boat that may ski the best.  If you have a shorter boat and it skis better but your family is cramped, you won't be happy long.  If you buy the longer boat that doesn't ski as well, it will be outweighed by the space and comforts for the family, if the family is into other watersports.  If you said "everyone in our family slaloms 100% of the time or your family primarily skis, it's a different story."

We have a 22VLX and I use to slalom, somewhat competitively, and still grab the single stick a few times a year but the space on the boat, ability to take other families with us makes the boat so much more enjoyable than having a better wake for my few slalom sets.  My daughter and wife both slalom and while they can't cross as aggressive as they could behind our old boats, they still enjoy it but now most of us have transitioned into surf and wakeboarding.  I still keep the barefoot suit ready for those evening glassy glass runs and I won't win any awards but I've learned to adjust to the boat but have never felt that I couldn't do something because we went to V-drive or larger boat than we had in the past. 

I learned along time ago that family disciplines change so buy the boat that checks the most boxes for how you plan to use it and don't look back.  Sometimes the only way to determine this criteria is to take the leap...

thx so much for the reply.  you spot on.  as we get older what make the family happy comes before what makes ourselves happy.  

On 1/24/2020 at 3:34 AM, Slayer said:

@crowdog01, you have been given some great advise here.  Keep us posted on what your plans are and by all means.....get some photos of the 22LSV in question posted up here for us to drool over.  

hahah  the 22lsv was crazy boat.  I ended up going 21 vlx in the end.  if I was being really honest - I think I got carried away with the 22 vlx at the deal.  the price was heavily reduced which kinda made me jump at it.  after doing ALOT of research im very happy with the deal on a new 21 vlx I ended up getting.  the dealer already had it in production so I have it in the next week versus having to wait 5-6 months in Australia.  the only trade off is I don't get to pick my exact colours.  The hull is mainly azure blue which is what I would have gone anyway so happy with that.  should have it next Friday hopefully.  I will def post a pic of it.  Im so bloody excited.  im not sleeping!! no joke.  hahaha

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, crowdog01 said:

hahah  the 22lsv was crazy boat.  I ended up going 21 vlx in the end.  if I was being really honest - I think I got carried away with the 22 vlx at the deal.  the price was heavily reduced which kinda made me jump at it.  after doing ALOT of research im very happy with the deal on a new 21 vlx I ended up getting.  the dealer already had it in production so I have it in the next week versus having to wait 5-6 months in Australia.  the only trade off is I don't get to pick my exact colours.  The hull is mainly azure blue which is what I would have gone anyway so happy with that.  should have it next Friday hopefully.  I will def post a pic of it.  Im so bloody excited.  im not sleeping!! no joke.  hahaha

Congrats!  I look forward to pics. 

On 1/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, crowdog01 said:

Post some pics!