Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 EZ Drive Fitment - After Market Stern Turn

cmargosi

1 hour ago, COOP said:

We are running the 1/0 to battery 2 and grounding to the motor. I box mounted to the inside of the transom in the same location Malibu has them.

These things draw a lot of current. The breaker they come with is 250amp. An upgraded alternator would be a good thing to add.

Thanks for the info , I am fitting the upgraded alternator and loom from malibu .

What size alternator  LucasC?  

As I am pricing out the 3rd battery, box, isolator etc, wondering if that is the better way or the alternator upgrade?  I'd prefer to not have to do both.

9 minutes ago, djheywood said:

What size alternator  LucasC?  

As I am pricing out the 3rd battery, box, isolator etc, wondering if that is the better way or the alternator upgrade?  I'd prefer to not have to do both.

i was told the alternator on the M6 is already upgraded, and the 2020 23mxz i test drove had no issues with power draw, only 2 batteries

Edited by asnowman

My paperwork says I have a 115amp alternator on my M6.  Not sure if that qualifies as "upgraded"?  If you order the EZ Drive from Malibu they force you to upgrade the alternator at the time, presumably to something larger than what came on my boat without the EZ Drive.

22 minutes ago, djheywood said:

My paperwork says I have a 115amp alternator on my M6.  Not sure if that qualifies as "upgraded"?  If you order the EZ Drive from Malibu they force you to upgrade the alternator at the time, presumably to something larger than what came on my boat without the EZ Drive.

I have the M6 2019 , I will check with my dealer but was on the understanding standard Alternator is 95amp but could be wrong, the uprated one that you can order is 165amp but you have to also upgrade the alternator loom section which is also available from malibu.  I have ordered this but just waiting a response from my dealer. If you factory order your boat with sturn turn it defaults to the 165amp alt

m

57 minutes ago, asnowman said:

i was told the alternator on the M6 is already upgraded, and the 2020 23mxz i test drove had no issues with power draw, only 2 batteries

I have good size sound system and have my tunes Banging ,The stereo and thruster combined eat my batteries  with a standard alternator . I used to build limos years ago and we put a dual 165 amp alts on back then just to keep up with the big sound systems fitted.

Thanks for the clarification.  I am pretty sure i'm gonna go the route of the battery and isolator.  The stereo and engine draw will have no effect on the EZ Drive and my use will be nominal.  If I have charge issues then ill look at the alternator.

Good luck with that install!

• 2 weeks later...

Coop:

I have a 2016 Malibu LSV25 with underwater lights right in the area where the stern thruster will be installed.  If you removed the underwater lights on your Malibu to install the ez stern thruster, can you explain how you did it and the products used.  I blew my wad on purchasing the ez drive stern thruster and, because no Malibu dealers in the Bay Area will do the installation, I am stuck doing it myself.  If you have any photos of your installation, please pass them along.  Thanks.

35 minutes ago, Setter2016 said:

Coop:

I have a 2016 Malibu LSV25 with underwater lights right in the area where the stern thruster will be installed.  If you removed the underwater lights on your Malibu to install the ez stern thruster, can you explain how you did it and the products used.  I blew my wad on purchasing the ez drive stern thruster and, because no Malibu dealers in the Bay Area will do the installation, I am stuck doing it myself.  If you have any photos of your installation, please pass them along.  Thanks.

Once the lights were moved we filled the holes with resin (there are 3 holes, two screw holes and the hole for the wire) and then covered the resin with Spectrum patch past that matched the hull. The EZ drive instructions are pretty good, the only thing you will need is the power and ground wire. I find it odd that no Malibu dealer will install it, all the dealers I know will.

6 hours ago, Setter2016 said:

Coop:

Why do you need a Malibu dealer to do the install? Any marine oriented service shop should be able to handle it. I bet a lot of the marine stereo shops would even take on the install. 

On 4/13/2020 at 9:12 PM, djheywood said:

I’m also interested in hearing how COOP is wiring these.  My plan is to add a 3rd battery with an isolator so the battery only powers the EZ Drive but gets charged with the alternator by tapping onto the positive wire of one of the other batteries.  I figure a standard 100 amp deep cycle marine battery should give me almost 10 minutes of time which is way more than I would ever need, according to my calcs it pulls about 5 amp hours out of the battery capacity per minute of use so using it for a quick 30 second burst at a dock should be easy for the battery to handle and it will be taking a charge at the same time since the engine is running.  

I have a 115 amp alternator.  Not sure how that is diminished when trying to charge three batteries.  Anyone know the answer to that?  Even if I’m only getting 30amps into the 3rd battery it would only take about 15 min of run time to replace one min of EZ turn usage.  I’m a novice so if I’m not correct feel free to tell me otherwise!

On a side note Lee at EZ Drive said definitely use 1/0 cable as short as possible between the I box and the battery.

brian 

On 4/13/2020 at 11:06 AM, COOP said:

Also, the units dont come with any power wire. We've been using 1/0 gauge.

My dealer/mechanic just installed one of these at the end of last year on a 2019 21' VLX and said it was a pain.  They did it to Yacht Groups's specs, and they kept getting a low voltage reading on the dashboard. After going back and forth a lot, they did realize they were using the wrong gauge wire (2ga) and ended up going with 1/0ga. It's a real tight fit in the I-box and YG admits as much and has even offered to send ferrules to help with the install. 

However there were bigger issues. The thruster was always hot even if the dash was off, so they had to figure that out. Tbh, I'm not sure how they resolved that one. 

The other issue was that they had to add a 3rd battery to handle the load. YG said this wasn't necessary though the dealers suspicions were confirmed because if you build a new 2020 with the thruster option, it comes with a 3rd battery and the upgraded alternator which would cost us an additional few hundred bucks to purchase. 

It sounds like the application of these is still in its infancy.

I have one sitting in the back of my truck still in the box and am thinking about returning it because even my wife asked me why we would really need one. The Malibu rep in TN that I spoke with that my dealer worked with to get this install correct recommended that we not do this FWIW. 

I'm still on the fence. Anybody have any experience with these? After going out for the last week and getting more experience on our 22'LSV (moved from an I/O), I'm starting to think this is a bit more of a want than a need.

1 minute ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You are getting a Christmas card from Maslow.  ;)

lol.. well, we are talking $100k ski boats here so I think we are already well into the spectrum of 'want'

What I meant was I was told that it makes picking up surfers a lot easier, quicker, and more fuel efficient since these laden surf boats turn like pigs. Obviously it would help with docking too

17 minutes ago, BarliBear said:

lol.. well, we are talking $100k ski boats here so I think we are already well into the spectrum of 'want'

What I meant was I was told that it makes picking up surfers a lot easier, quicker, and more fuel efficient since these laden surf boats turn like pigs. Obviously it would help with docking too

i  got to drive the new natiques with the thrusters and i will say it is huge to be able to turn on a dime.  is it needed probably not, is it nice to have? for sure. imho

id have to have a dealer that has done a bunch before i handed my boat over for their first go at it

1 hour ago, BarliBear said:

My dealer/mechanic just installed one of these at the end of last year on a 2019 21' VLX and said it was a pain.  They did it to Yacht Groups's specs, and they kept getting a low voltage reading on the dashboard. After going back and forth a lot, they did realize they were using the wrong gauge wire (2ga) and ended up going with 1/0ga. It's a real tight fit in the I-box and YG admits as much and has even offered to send ferrules to help with the install. 

However there were bigger issues. The thruster was always hot even if the dash was off, so they had to figure that out. Tbh, I'm not sure how they resolved that one. 

The other issue was that they had to add a 3rd battery to handle the load. YG said this wasn't necessary though the dealers suspicions were confirmed because if you build a new 2020 with the thruster option, it comes with a 3rd battery and the upgraded alternator which would cost us an additional few hundred bucks to purchase. 

It sounds like the application of these is still in its infancy.

Always hot is easily fixed by connecting the signal wire to ignition and not the battery, we have been doing this.

We have not had any issues using 1/0 wire in the Ibox. 

The thruster from the factory does not force you to get a 3rd battery, it does require the high output alternator. None of the 2020 boats we've sold or have in stock with factory thrusters have a 3rd battery. The only forced 3rd battery option is the stereo on the M240.

Yes, its a bit of a pain install, but nothing a good tech cant do. 

The only aftermarket alternator I have upgraded was for a 2019 MXZ 24 with a PCM supercharged motor. I used this one from DB Electrical and we swapped out the pulley. It did require a bit of custom work on the bracket to fit.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/220-amp-marine-high-output-alternator-universal-mount.html

On the Malibu built motors I will use the Malibu alternators for ease of fit. Unless I need more current for a large stereo, which was the case on the PCM motor.

If you need more than that American Power Systems has a 360amp option in marine application.

I will be creating a thread soon detailing my experience with my install.  I'm almost done but there were some unexpected hurdles on my 2020 MXZ.  

My throttle did not have the red wire split for the ignition connection.  Is there an issue with it always being hot other than the fact that someone can accidentally turn it on?  Will it draw down the batteries?  I didn't really want to cut the wire to connect to ignition and was fine with it being hot so long as I don't have dead batteries.  

FWIW, I added a 3rd battery and a Blue Sea 7611 ACR Isolator between battery 3 and one of my two main batteries so it gets charged, but pulls the juice from mainly battery 3.  Don't know if I will see low voltage issues yet as I cant yet get on the water to use it.  Hopefully soon, just running the last bit of wires.  

5 minutes ago, djheywood said:

My throttle did not have the red wire split for the ignition connection.  Is there an issue with it always being hot other than the fact that someone can accidentally turn it on?  Will it draw down the batteries?  I didn't really want to cut the wire to connect to ignition and was fine with it being hot so long as I don't have dead batteries.  

The newer versions actual have this wire out of the plug for you. But yes, only issue is that the switch would have power even with the batteries off.

We've done six of these now. They have also made a change to end caps that cover the blades. Now the side next to the wedge is angled a bit.

IMG-20200505-152605.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 3:35 PM, Pnwrider said:

Why do you need a Malibu dealer to do the install? Any marine oriented service shop should be able to handle it. I bet a lot of the marine stereo shops would even take on the install. 

i'm not a mechanic by any means, but very well skilled in Audio, troubleshooting, no issues drilling through a boat, installed a few perfect pass systems, a little bit of engine work, etc.....  I just don't see this install being that crazy hard.  Is it because it's sort of a new things to our line of inboards?  I kinda like the fabrication challenge to be honest.  I haven't felt the need to do this option or spend the money for it, but damn that wind trying to turn around in a tight marina on Sunday had me re-thinking :)

20 hours ago, COOP said:

Always hot is easily fixed by connecting the signal wire to ignition and not the battery, we have been doing this.

We have not had any issues using 1/0 wire in the Ibox. 

The thruster from the factory does not force you to get a 3rd battery, it does require the high output alternator. None of the 2020 boats we've sold or have in stock with factory thrusters have a 3rd battery. The only forced 3rd battery option is the stereo on the M240.

Yes, its a bit of a pain install, but nothing a good tech cant do. 

Always hot: Sounds about right. The thing about that was I think our dealer was a bit leery about having to create a work around when this probably should've been addressed by YG.

1/0: Parties on both sides say that it fits, but is a very tight fit. 

3rd battery: Good to know. 

Install: YG claims this should take 4-5 hours in your backyard. Clearly not the case. 

I'm curious to why you think my dealer was getting low voltage readings on their dash. Using too small of a wire? 

Here's the diagram they drew me to explain how they did it. Your thoughts? Feel free to tell me if you don't think they know what they're doing. I've only used them once and it was for a routine service. 

60953554550__3DEFB928-C558-48EB-B623-BBC7D33985BF.JPG

How have your customers liked it after install? Does it help pickup downed surfers and whatnot?

Our customer have loved them.

Where did they ground the ibox? If they ran a ground all the way to the batteries thats a problem. You can ground it to the engine block.

The motors draw alot of current, trying to draw through to small of a wire is like trying to drink a milkshake through a coffee stick. You have to work harder but still cant get enough. 

The larger wire will transfer current more effectively.

If you hold the switch down for a long time you will see a voltage drop, these pull over 125amps of current. 

Edited by COOP

Coop one question for you.  On my install I am grounding the ibox to the 3rd battery then grounding the battery to the motor ground.  (There is not many threads left on the motor ground so I don't think I can get 2 more 1/0 lugs on there.)  Are you saying this will cause me issues?  The 3rd battery is only about 2 feet further away from the motor ground.  I am using all 1/0 cable.  it is the largest size the ibox can handle, but it fits fine.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

2 hours ago, BarliBear said:

Always hot: Sounds about right. The thing about that was I think our dealer was a bit leery about having to create a work around when this probably should've been addressed by YG.

1/0: Parties on both sides say that it fits, but is a very tight fit. 

3rd battery: Good to know. 

Install: YG claims this should take 4-5 hours in your backyard. Clearly not the case. 

I'm curious to why you think my dealer was getting low voltage readings on their dash. Using too small of a wire? 

Here's the diagram they drew me to explain how they did it. Your thoughts? Feel free to tell me if you don't think they know what they're doing. I've only used them once and it was for a routine service. 

60953554550__3DEFB928-C558-48EB-B623-BBC7D33985BF.JPG

How have your customers liked it after install? Does it help pickup downed surfers and whatnot?

Here is my wiring diagram for reference.

IMG_2457.jpg