Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2019 EZ Drive Fitment - After Market Stern Turn

cmargosi

Hello All,

Just visited the 2020 Chicago Boat show and I'm getting excited for boating season already, sadly it's still a few months off.  After seeing the new 2020 Malibus with the Stern Turn, I visited the EZ Drive booth (I had already ordered the EZ Drive for my 2019 23 LSV but it hasn't been installed yet), but was also excited to find EZ Drive is now offering the same throttle controller as comes from the factory!  I got on the phone this morning with The Yacht Group (manufacturer or EZ Drive) and ordered that control.  I'm now doubly excited about having the EZ Drive on the boat.  I can't wait to have the extra maneuverability in my tight launch area (which tends to be windy and wavy on Lake Geneva) and also the precision when positioning my young surfers behind the boat.  I can say that so far the EZ Drive folks have been amazing to work with.  

My question is:  has anyone else out there installed one or had it installed?  Any tips for success I can pass on to my shop?  I'd imagine I'll be getting the same bracket and unit that goes on the 2020 boats, as EZ Drive manufactures Stern Turn for Malibu.  But I figure there's a wealth of knowledge out there and I might as well see if there are any pointers! 

I will also update this thread as I go through the process and finally get to use it for anyone whose interested.

Edited by cmargosi
  • 2 months later...

I can’t be of much help. I bought one too but have yet to install it.  I called them. They are super helpful.  I’m still making measurements. Mine is a 2017 23lsv. I’m worried mine will be dragging in the water. 

• 4 weeks later...

We've done four of them so far. Finishing up a 2019 LSV 25 today.

They DO NOT use the same mounting bracket as Malibu. Not that its a huge deal though. 

First thing you want to do is make sure the inside of the transom is flat where it will be mounted. They use a 1.75" nut as part of the mounting, and if the transom isnt flat then the nut wont tighten down properly.

Also, double check the template they give you for the holes. The one we got was wrong. There was a revision apparently.

Edited by COOP
31 minutes ago, COOP said:

We've done four of them so far. Finishing up a 2019 LSV 25 today.

They DO NOT use the same mounting bracket as Malibu. Not that its a huge deal though. 

First thing you want to do is make sure the inside of the transom is flat where it will be mounted. They use a 1.75" nut as part of the mounting, and if the transom isnt flat then the nut wont tighten down properly.

Also, double check the template they give you for the holes. The one we got was wrong. There was a revision apparently.

Great info... i didn't realize the extension was different from the Malibu one. Any details on how it is different (and do you think their design for the extension is okay?)    Also, I saw EZDrive now has a horizonal mount which puts the impeller at the same offset from the hull but uses a different mount so that the motor is basically horizontal towards the hull (lowering the heigth clearance issues some boats might have.)  Sort of ironic that the drive was a nice design to be flush mounted on the hull and now they have to design ways to allow it to be offset using a mount that converts it to horizontal.  Sort of wondering if Malibu is going to switch to this new mounting style just to clean up the transom a bit.   If there are that many boats that need it to be offset (more than Malibu I am guess (ie: I/O's) they should just go back and redesign the drive with the mounting point at the top of the motor (With all the wiring coming out of the case there, etc.) 

ezd.JPG

Heres a few pictures. Malibu does not use the tube that goes through the hull with the 1.75" nut on it. They are using three through bolts on the Malibus. The EZ drive uses two through bolts, two lag bolts, and the tube with the nut.

First pic is the unit on a 25 LSV. Next two pics are from the install guide showing the tube that goes through the hull. Last pic is of the new shifter.

IMG-20200413-094641.jpg
IMG-20200413-094758.jpg
IMG-20200413-094805.jpg
IMG-20200413-094827.jpg

Edited by COOP
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, COOP said:

Heres a few pictures. Malibu does not use the tube that goes through the hull with the 1.75" nut on it. They are using three through bolts on the Malibus. The EZ drive uses two through bolts, two lag bolts, and the tube with the nut.

First pic is the unit on a 25 LSV. Next two pics are from the install guide showing the tube that goes through the hull. Last pic is of the new shifter.

how long does it take you guys to actually do the install?

Id say we're averaging around 5-6 hours. That includes relocating the underwater lights to the 2020 location and filling holes where the port side original underwater light was mounted.

34 minutes ago, COOP said:

Id say we're averaging around 5-6 hours. That includes relocating the underwater lights to the 2020 location and filling holes where the port side original underwater light was mounted.

@COOP If you don't mind me asking, where did you relocate the lights to?  DO you have a picture?

1 hour ago, COOP said:

Curious to how you've connected to batteries ?.  I fitted mine last year . I run 2 batteries in parallel as position 1 and a single battery as my back up, battery position 2 , I conected the thruster to the main postion 1 , I am running 3 amps 2 subs 4 rev 10's and 6x 8" speakers and my system struggles  with power . thinking of fitting malibus uprated alternator that they fit if you factory order the sturn turn , have you come across any power issues ?  , I fitted the led joystick as throttle box wasn't available when i did mine and the auto power down is very annoying , has this been over come yet .

thanks 

I’m also interested in hearing how COOP is wiring these.  My plan is to add a 3rd battery with an isolator so the battery only powers the EZ Drive but gets charged with the alternator by tapping onto the positive wire of one of the other batteries.  I figure a standard 100 amp deep cycle marine battery should give me almost 10 minutes of time which is way more than I would ever need, according to my calcs it pulls about 5 amp hours out of the battery capacity per minute of use so using it for a quick 30 second burst at a dock should be easy for the battery to handle and it will be taking a charge at the same time since the engine is running.  

I have a 115 amp alternator.  Not sure how that is diminished when trying to charge three batteries.  Anyone know the answer to that?  Even if I’m only getting 30amps into the 3rd battery it would only take about 15 min of run time to replace one min of EZ turn usage.  I’m a novice so if I’m not correct feel free to tell me otherwise!

On a side note Lee at EZ Drive said definitely use 1/0 cable as short as possible between the I box and the battery.

brian 

Edited by djheywood

We are running the 1/0 to battery 2 and grounding to the motor. I box mounted to the inside of the transom in the same location Malibu has them.

These things draw a lot of current. The breaker they come with is 250amp. An upgraded alternator would be a good thing to add.

Edited by COOP
35 minutes ago, COOP said:

We are running the 1/0 to battery 2 and grounding to the motor. I box mounted to the inside of the transom in the same location Malibu has them.

any chance you can post a pic of where that is, and where you are grounding to the motor?

29 minutes ago, Kojak said:

@COOP Have you installed any of these on boats 2015 or older?  Wondering how it might fit on one with dual exhaust outlets instead of the newer boats with a single outlet.

I don't think there is any way you could mount the thruster without changing up your exhaust setup to a single port, simply not enough room.  

1 minute ago, gregtay said:

I don't think there is any way you could mount the thruster without changing up your exhaust setup to a single port, simply not enough room.  

That's what I was afraid of. :(

I already have a plan of how to change it over to a single.  I just installed a FAE and muffler delete this offseason so all of that will have to wait awhile. 

34 minutes ago, Kojak said:

@COOP Have you installed any of these on boats 2015 or older?  Wondering how it might fit on one with dual exhaust outlets instead of the newer boats with a single outlet.

Havent done an older  one at this time, so I cant speak to the fit.