Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2015 22 VLX Wakesetter stereo issue

CooperH

Can anybody help me with my stereo issue, all that is showing on the screen when I click stereo is display in the top right hand corner, select in the bottom right hand corner and LOUD in the middle. I can connect to the Bluetooth via my phone but it doesn’t change the screen at all and I can’t play music

Edited by CooperH

Best course of action is going to be to access the back of the amp wall and check the connection between the black box and helm screen. Next, need to check for voltage across the ground, constant and switch IGN wires. 

You have only said you pressed stereo button, so I'll ask if you

1. Pressed on, which is the top left button on screen

2. Selected mode as malibu BT

Also then look at amplifiers under observers seat. Should be showing some indication light that they are on

That’s the problem, when I turn the stereo on (on the screen, in the left hand corner) all that pops up on the screen is LOUD in the middle and on each corner of the black stereo screen ‘display’ and ‘select’. And when I click on either of those, nothing at all happens. 

Before getting professional or dealer help, check circuit breaker and fuse for the stereo head unit.

The stereo head unit (small black box in observers compartment) gets power from accessory circuit in my 2015 vlx, made in australia. Check the accessory circuit breaker near drivers seat hasn't popped.

There is also a 10amp fuse on wiring going into the head unit (yellow wire)

Do you know if the 7" screen has ever been replaced?

There was a bulletin about it that the factory should have sent out to the dealers.

Otherwise I'd look at the radio box.

Edited by 23LSVOwner

Dude. Go to the dealer. You have something wrong. It’s probably trivial. Pay the money for people who know how to fix this to fix it. Your end of this debug session isn’t good enough. 

• 1 year later...

So my problem was solved.  I have three batteries, 1 for starting the engine and 2 for the stereo.  My battery switch is number 1 for engine battery with excess to stereo batteries.  Number 2 position on the battery switch links all batteries together.  Because the two stereo batteries were very, very low on voltage when I switched the battery to the number 1 position and started the boat, the stereo batteries didn’t have enough power to power up the stereo (small screen showed “loud” and was unresponsive for stereo).  When I switched the battery switch to the number 2 position, all batteries ran everything including the stereo and my stereo worked.  Once the engine and alternator ran long enough to power up all the batteries, I was able to switch back to the number 1 position on the battery switch.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Setter2016 said:

So my problem was solved.  I have three batteries, 1 for starting the engine and 2 for the stereo.  My battery switch is number 1 for engine battery with excess to stereo batteries.  Number 2 position on the battery switch links all batteries together.  Because the two stereo batteries were very, very low on voltage when I switched the battery to the number 1 position and started the boat, the stereo batteries didn’t have enough power to power up the stereo (small screen showed “loud” and was unresponsive for stereo).  When I switched the battery switch to the number 2 position, all batteries ran everything including the stereo and my stereo worked.  Once the engine and alternator ran long enough to power up all the batteries, I was able to switch back to the number 1 position on the battery switch.  Hope this helps.

I do not think you "fixed" your issue. 

Sounds like your switch is the 3 position Dual Circuit Plus switch. If so, it does not have a 1 or a 2 position, but OFF, ON and COMBINE. There is a voltage sensing relay paired with the switch, and I think thats where your root issue is. 

Thanks for the information.  My boat has the Blue Seas Add a battery set up (https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-7650-Battery/dp/B000RZNP5K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=add+a+battery&qid=1630685687&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-3) and the switch does have an off position (Top), what I call a number 1 position (3 o'clock) which sounds like your on position and a number 2 position (5 o'clock) which sounds like your combined position.  The battery switch is rated for 350 amps continuous.   I also have an ACR SI which is rated for 120 amps.  This is likely your voltage sensing relay.  My questions now are what are the likely problems with the ACR SI (voltage sensing relay) and if my alternator puts out 100 amps at idle and up to 200 amps at speed, do I need a bigger ACR SI(voltage sensing relay)?   Thanks for your help on this.

To avoid confusion, I use the terminology OFF, ON and COMBINE, as these are the terms printed on the switch. 

If the house battery is low with the switch in the ON position and then things work with when the switch is moved to the COMBINE position, points to the ACR (auto combining relay) not closing.