Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull Cleaning

Cashley250

Hi guys, I have a 2016 Axis A22. Throughout the summer I started to notice some grime/ calcium build up on the bottom of the hull.  Toward the end of the season I began trying to clean it up. I have tried soap/water, simple green, hull cleaner and nothing works. When I spray it and wash it off it disappears for a minute or two, then it comes right back. Wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and what they used to clean it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

There are a few home grown mixes that are supposed to work really well, but I found a suggestion that was backed by many on various forums and it works like a charm.  It took off the crud on my hull that I was really struggling with in mere minutes with no hard work.  Caveat: DO NOT LET IT GET ONTO THE TRAILER (or any painted surfaces or anything else, for that matter.) 

Go to Walmart and buy The Works toilet cleaner.  Apply to hull with a cheap floor sponge or regular sponge, wait a few minutes and it will all wipe right off leaving a clean gelcoat finish.  This literally costs $3 and is stupid easy.

Muriatic acid (used for swimming pools) cut with water.  Start with about 25% acid/ 75% water.  Spray on wash off (use gloves).  Have had to go up to 50/50, if it’s really bad.  Keep it off painted surfaces also.  You’ll generally see the scum drip right off.

11 hours ago, MakeNWaves said:

Muriatic acid (used for swimming pools) cut with water.  Start with about 25% acid/ 75% water.  Spray on wash off (use gloves).  Have had to go up to 50/50, if it’s really bad.  Keep it off painted surfaces also.  You’ll generally see the scum drip right off.

What he says, but I use peroxide instead of water. Old timers on this forum know this as Tony's Tonic.

• Like 2

Lysol toilet bowl and peroxide. 50/50 Final answer!

As stated in that link above, it does strip the wax too, but oh well.

Edited by Ryan1776

I just did my hull before I put her up for the winter with "The Works" from Dollar General for a buck (well actually bought two bottles so $2) and put it in spray bottles.  Sprayed the hull down in sections, let it soak for 5-7 min, then used an old sponge to spread it around for 100% coverage.  bottom of the boat looks like showroom floor clean.

8 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

I just did my hull before I put her up for the winter with "The Works" from Dollar General for a buck (well actually bought two bottles so $2) and put it in spray bottles.  Sprayed the hull down in sections, let it soak for 5-7 min, then used an old sponge to spread it around for 100% coverage.  bottom of the boat looks like showroom floor clean.

Amazing, isn't it?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...