Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lifting boat off trailer

iliketoski

I was wondering how hard, and what the process is, to take the trailer out from under the boat.  While I have done work on the trailer after putting the boat in the water, it would be nice to be able to work on the trailer over the winter.  Also, I got some hull staining a couple years ago that came off using starbrite hull cleaner, but I obviously couldn't get the areas under the bunks.  I'd love to be able to clean up those areas and get several coats of wax on it.

What can you use for stands?  I've seen many boats up on cement blocks (with boards on top).

It seems like it would be a several step process and lots of work that is probably not worth it. (I obviously don't have a lift).

Edited by iliketoski
1 hour ago, iliketoski said:

I was wondering how hard, and what the process is, to take the trailer out from under the boat.  While I have done work on the trailer after putting the boat in the water, it would be nice to be able to work on the trailer over the winter.  Also, I got some hull staining a couple years ago that came off using starbrite hull cleaner, but I obviously couldn't get the areas under the bunks.  I'd love to be able to clean up those areas and get several coats of wax on it.

What can you use for stands?  I've seen many boats up on cement blocks (with boards on top).

It seems like it would be a several step process and lots of work that is probably not worth it. (I obviously don't have a lift).

most shops that do this use a HD forklift like at the boat dry storage move trailer then set it down on stands , just thinking this through i cant see how you accomplish this snd actually moving the trailer out from under  

i have same issues and a few gel chips in need of repair, thinking about coordinating with the trailer repair place since i need sone trailer work as well and they use a forklift and overhead lift,  with the axis protruding rub rail i dont think straps on overhead lift is a good idea  

ahopkins22LSV

You could get just regular stands with plates on them then deflate the trailer tires to slide the trailer out. I just don’t know how you temporarily support the boat to actually get the trailer out. 

Or maybe try to arrange something with your dealer? If you only need it off for a few hours of cleaning the bottom maybe they’d be willing to help and would let you work on it there? I don’t know, I’ve never asked such a question. However it took them about 10 minutes to swap my trailer out as I had a warranty issue on mine. 

D24ED2BE-7686-495F-93A1-AB33D2D4B9E2.jpeg

• Like 1
8 hours ago, csleaver said:

Yea, a little out of my price bracket for doing some minor cleaning.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

You could get just regular stands with plates on them then deflate the trailer tires to slide the trailer out. I just don’t know how you temporarily support the boat to actually get the trailer out. 

Or maybe try to arrange something with your dealer? If you only need it off for a few hours of cleaning the bottom maybe they’d be willing to help and would let you work on it there? I don’t know, I’ve never asked such a question. However it took them about 10 minutes to swap my trailer out as I had a warranty issue on mine. 

D24ED2BE-7686-495F-93A1-AB33D2D4B9E2.jpeg

This may be the best idea, just ask the dealer if they could help me out.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 7:54 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Tommy's Michigan warehouse is huge!  I was impressed.

Another idea, which is something I might be doing in the spring, find a lake that has "Boat Rack Storage".  Rent their storage for a week or two and they will take your boat off with their lift and rack your boat or put it on stands if you need to work on the hull.  I will be doing this soon so I can take my trailer to a paint shop and get it painted again.  This way I'm not out a boat either, I can just go down to the Toledo Maumee river and have them un-rack and put it in the water for me to use while the trailer is getting painted.

• Like 1
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 8:49 AM, iliketoski said:

I was wondering how hard, and what the process is, to take the trailer out from under the boat.  While I have done work on the trailer after putting the boat in the water, it would be nice to be able to work on the trailer over the winter. 

Here is your Rack Storage near you in Cinci

http://www.rivertownemarina.com/

On 1/16/2020 at 10:26 AM, hawaiianstyln said:

Here is your Rack Storage near you in Cinci

http://www.rivertownemarina.com/

That's not a bad idea and is actually closer than my dealer.  While this would work well for doing work on the trailer, I wonder what my options would be to work on the bottom of the boat.  I'll have to give them a call.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, iliketoski said:

That's not a bad idea and is actually closer than my dealer.  While this would work well for doing work on the trailer, I wonder what my options would be to work on the bottom of the boat.  I'll have to give them a call.

they should have outside ground level racks for staging boats to go in water or clean them coming out,  should be easily available more so than during season 

• Like 1