Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best way to find a trailer for a 2018 VLX and which ones work with it

BlitzedVLX

Outside of purchasing a new trailer directly from Boatmate or through a close malibu dealer are there any websites that they are listed on? I have searched facebook marketplace and craigslist but have not had any luck. 

Also is there only certain models of trailers that will work with this model and length that I need to look for? 

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

What is the intended use?  Local or long distance?  Looking for bling??  Or just something basic?  For about $3500 USD  https://www.excalibur-trailers.ca/vehicles/2020/excalibur/6000lb-tandem-ski-boat-trailer/brampton/on/42839060/?sale_class=new

Nothing fancy needed. Only used for winter storage and drive to the ramp 5 miles away twice a year. 

20 minutes ago, BlitzedVLX said:

Nothing fancy needed. Only used for winter storage and drive to the ramp 5 miles away twice a year. 

Then grab one of the trailers I linked to.  Get them to add a second set of buncks for a couple hundred more.  For $3500 bucks, it would be pretty hard to beat.  I would think as well that they could do paint over the glavanized steel but for me that would be a WOM.  I am in the same position as you; only need it a couple times a year.  30 miles to/from storage.  I wish I'd gotten a galvanized trailer.  Mine just sits and rusts.

You will still want the boat to fit the trailer. It would not be good for the weight to not be distributed well or at a minimum in areas that have structure well built in. I would call trailer manufactures in your area and ask if they have data to construct a trailer for your boat. If I spent the money on a trailer I would want to be able to take my boat on a trip. I say this and I have only used my trailer on one trip other then to and from my launch! It will make resale easy down the road.

On 1/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, Sixball said:

You will still want the boat to fit the trailer. It would not be good for the weight to not be distributed well or at a minimum in areas that have structure well built in. I would call trailer manufactures in your area and ask if they have data to construct a trailer for your boat. If I spent the money on a trailer I would want to be able to take my boat on a trip. I say this and I have only used my trailer on one trip other then to and from my launch! It will make resale easy down the road.

Thanks for the input. It seems our options are a $7200+ freight Boatmate or a custom made trailer from B&M Haul Rite for around $5000. 

Is it possible to order a trailer directly from Malibu? Per the boat build sheet they received a no trailer credit of $5450. 

1 minute ago, BlitzedVLX said:

Thanks for the input. It seems our options are a $7200+ freight Boatmate or a custom made trailer from B&M Haul Rite for around $5000. 

Is it possible to order a trailer directly from Malibu? Per the boat build sheet they received a no trailer credit of $5450. 

We had a trailer manufacture Eagle that made trailers for the dealer up in Michigan. I don't know if the dealer provided the specks or how that is done. I thought they moved down more your way years ago but its been to long so I don't remember all the facts. Just thinking a lot of trailer manufactures down closer to you and my find one that could do something.

2 hours ago, BlitzedVLX said:

Per the boat build sheet they received a no trailer credit of $5450. 

I really doubt that malibu will sell you a trailer for that price.  That is a notional credit - and likely not a real world price.

8 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I really doubt that malibu will sell you a trailer for that price.  That is a notional credit - and likely not a real world price.

I think that my Boatmate was only around $6k.

Might want to give BM a call. The last time I was out there they had some lonely looking trailers sitting out back that they might part with. It's not like they are going to have some one beating down their doors for a used trailer so they might part with one on the cheap.

6 hours ago, wdr said:

Might want to give BM a call. The last time I was out there they had some lonely looking trailers sitting out back that they might part with. It's not like they are going to have some one beating down their doors for a used trailer so they might part with one on the cheap.

What is BM?

12 hours ago, BlitzedVLX said:

I don't believe you can buy direct from boatmate

why do you think that?  you go to them for parts in warranty or other parts purchases i didnt realize they were manufacturer only?