Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Wakesetter stereo/MUX issue

I am the new owner of my first Malibu, a 2008 VTX, only taken it out twice but so far are over the moon with the boat. The stereo however is driving me crazy. It has the standard Sirius head unit with the usual MUX control, it has an upgraded Amp, with 6 speakers and a sub (all Rockford). 
The issue is the stereo just keeps going on off on off, sometimes every second sometimes minutes apart. 
Page 1 of the RH MUX button 1 is stereo, Page 2 button 1 is stereo on/off. It just sits on Page 2 with on/off being highlighted on and off. When you physically press the button you can hear it click, so I dont think its stuck down. I thought I’d reprogram this button to something I dont use but I think the button 1 is preventing me from programming properly as it wont program as per the instructions I have. Would greatly appreciate any help that can be provided on this please...

The older MY boats with the RF systems and my 2010 was a poster child for this, was notorious for having very shoddy stereo installs. The intermittent off and on sounds like an issue I had with the fused main power wire (red) located on the black box on the back side of the amp board. Hit a wave off, hit another wave it came on... A quick check would be to power on the system and smack the amp board to confirm. As twitchy as yours sounds it probably wont take but a second to confirm. Good luck. Bill

Thx WDR. I noticed they have Right and Left marked on them accordingly so I assume they are different. Cant understand why though. 
Anyone know how to get the plastic chrome fascia off?

The MUX on my ‘10 were sealed units with no replaceable internal part. They were held to the dash by 2 nuts accessed behind the dash and the chrome pieces were glued to the body. I would bet money the power wire (red) for the POS glass fuze holder has a bad solder job or the wires to them are nearly broken off of it like mine was. The yellow wire is for the radio memory. I cut and replaced mine with a blade type assembly and viola, mo more problems.

Hi WDR,

I had some time to investigate further and unfortunately it seems your first prediction is correct, the MUX controller itself is faulty. I checked all the external wiring and it seemed ok. So I pulled the MUX switch fascia off and I was able to disassemble my MUX, the flexible PCB that has the button membrane was a bit degraded but generally ok, I was able to remove the metal contact snap and with the MUX assembly in my hand I could hold it still and the nothing wound happen, if I then shake it or tap it, button 1 would then start to go on and off (even with the contact removed) , hold still and it would stop. So I then pulled it apart further and removed the 2 internal PCB's. I tried to resolder what I could, however most of it is surface mount components and I wasnt going there while working on the tailgate of my ute. I managed to reprogram the LH MUX to have the wedge controls and for now disconnected the RH MUX. So all work ok, just means for now I have to control the stereo directly from the head unit. I'll bring it home with me and investigate further, otherwise I guess I up for a new MUX assembly, which I know aren't cheap!

Thanks again for you help on this!

Regards,

Luke

Sorry you didn’t have a bad stereo wire. The MUX can be found, but they are getting scarcer I imagine. I never really used mine that much except to do the incremental changes for the wedge or the ALL OFF button which came in handy. I believe Bakes might have the MUX or at least they used to a while back. You might start looking there for a replacement. Good luck. Bill

• 2 years later...

I believe I’m having a similar problem on my 08 I have hade it for 3 years with no issues.

I can’t control my stereo at all, none of the buttons on the side or transom units are working.

the main unit on the dash the buttons work but other than the when I’m on the stereo. It acts like it’s working but no volume stereo control or mode operations don’t do anything.

is the mux the side unit? Or the one on the dash?

thanks for any info 

I am having the same issue. The Stereo comes on with radio playing but no buttons work on the controller. More van I turn the stereo off.