Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My new old tow rig

windy1

I love those trucks. We had a '76 growing up and it was awesome, and it only had a 305 4-spd. Lived in the rust belt so it succumbed to metalicular cancer.  The 400's can be a stronger engine, but they are really choked. If you can spare the time while doing the FI swap, throw some better heads on it in the process.  Congrats on the truck!

I often tow with my old chev. not gonna say it handles as well as my Duramax, but the trip is only 7 miles and I do turn some heads.  

I've had several cash offers for the truck while waiting in line at the ramp.  the answer is always the same : talk to my kids when I am dead.

I also have a '72 Blazer, but I d9nt think pulling a 23 LSV would be safe. I am curious what GM added to the later blazers to make them "Trailering Specials"

20190706_121937.jpg

• Like 4

I assume GM added stiffer springs and lower gearing but I haven't looked into that. Falko, your right GM really choked these motors down for emissions. This truck is rated for 9,000 pounds but I cant picture it ever towing that kind of weight in its stock configuration with all the smog stuff and de-tuning.  

I also have a 79 GMC heavy half (picture coming soon) with a 350 that's had the smog removed and an aftermarket carb replacement. It runs and pulls great, however, it came from the salty roads of Kansas and is a bit to far gone for anything but a driver. I find that when driving these old trucks on a regular basis its good to have a spare.

795.jpg

Edited by windy1

Nice.  Back in 76 I bought my 1st 4 wd and wish I still had it.  71 Ford F-250 4 speed with creeper 1st gear and reverse.  Bulletproof 360 engine and no power steering or brakes which was real fun with my big mudder tires.

I love classic trucks. 

A few years ago I was searching for one of the Lil Red Express Truck. I thought that would be a fun ride. 

Unfortunately, my towing is almost always a long ride and I think the novelty would wear off.

Congrats on the new rig!

nice shop Kylesullens. The green one looks like a camper special and the white one is skyrocketing in value as we speak. I tell my wife that between boating, vintage cars and vintage drum sets I have no time to chase any women other than her. With kids gone and recently retired I am currently looking for some property the build a shop like yours so I can get a couple more cars (eye rolls from wife).

this is what I currently play with.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

9 hours ago, kylesullens said:

between the boating and wrenching on old rigs, I am lucky my wife stick around.

I can imagine that she's pretty happy you are in the barn playing around rather than in the bar playing around....

grew up driving a 73 GMC 1/2 ton with a 3 speed on the column straight 6 250. when i was 15 we put 4 ice chests snd 13 people 4 front snd 8 in the bed snd drove 60 miles one way on mostly interstate  to go river tubing, different times to say the least !  cant believe i didn't get pulled over with all the kids and booze and what a great truck

in college we took the  same truck with a pick up bed top on rugby road trips to Fla and TX, put a mattress in the back with 5 big dudes and 3 up front , again right down the interstate, cops never pulled us over  

dad sold it to the  mailman  when he got his 81 ( the gen right after square body) chevy 1/2 ton, the first v6 with 5 speed on the  floor (pretty sporty 6) for $3 or 4 hundred,  i was floored as it ran great and i wanted it,  i think he paid $2700 fir the ‘73 brand new, just wrote a check like he always did

plenty of square body memories here

Edited by granddaddy55
9 hours ago, windy1 said:

nice shop Kylesullens. The green one looks like a camper special and the white one is skyrocketing in value as we speak. I tell my wife that between boating, vintage cars and vintage drum sets I have no time to chase any women other than her. With kids gone and recently retired I am currently looking for some property the build a shop like yours so I can get a couple more cars (eye rolls from wife).

this is what I currently play with.

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

beautiful bel air.   57?

my project after the blazer is to redo the 56 Nomad that belonged to my dads buddy.  what a project.  

You can never have enough covered space.  whatever space you do have gets used up before you know it.  I built this shop last year to house my current collection, and I'm already planning another building on the other side of our place.

takes alot to get my wife's eyes to roll these days. she's seen it all.

• Like 2

56. my grandfather purchased this brand new in 1956. I have an old black and white picture of him standing in front of it the day he brought it home. 265 power pack 4 barrel with 2 speed auto and 68,000 original miles.

• Like 3
On 1/1/2020 at 6:50 AM, windy1 said:

56. my grandfather purchased this brand new in 1956. I have an old black and white picture of him standing in front of it the day he brought it home. 265 power pack 4 barrel with 2 speed auto and 68,000 original miles.

the gold 69 nova was bought new by my great-grandmother. she died in '89 and my uncle ended up with it.  it has a total of 65k miles on it now.  all original.

the '26 Model T was built by my grandfather in the 70s.

the '70 Chev and the K5 are mine.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, UWSkier said:

Those K5s are sweet trucks.  My wife doesn't even care for my '16 Sierra Denali so I'm sure she'd hate riding in one of those, but if I had the garage space, I'd try to find one.

the first generation of K5s are a hot item right now.  there was one that sold at Barrett Jackson auction last year for over $150k.  since then guys are paying top dollar for anything that runs and drives.  the later blazers are popular too, but the 1st gens are getting hard to find unless you have lots of cash.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:49 AM, P7M89MM said:

Love the Chevys in this thread!  Here's one of mine with full RideTech air ride and a 502 big block :)  Haven't towed with it (no hitch), but I have plenty of torque (580lb ft).

48950238001_3f6231aaa8_c.jpg

That is a sweet ride!! I am a dodge guy for new trucks but love the old chevys. 

Edited by Sparky450

I remember growing up we had a 67 C10 (I think that's what it was). It was a farm truck and the paint was well worn and scratched. I watched mom and dad paint it with brushes and a can of rustoleum pain.  I just kind of laugh at that now. Between that, the K Blazer, the square body chevys, the old Bronco and Int Scout, and the old tractors, I miss the old vehicles.