Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Response LX Steering Cable

filftwalton

Hi,  I need to replace my steering cable on my 2004 Response LX.  I got the part number:  Teleflex SSC 14215 but can not find any replacements with that part number.  Part number was hard to read but we've read it on 3 occasions.  Any info on a part number for this would be appreciated.  I can call the dealer but would like to try to buy it from a mail order house.

Thanks

Fil

On 12/28/2019 at 6:38 PM, filftwalton said:

Hi,  I need to replace my steering cable on my 2004 Response LX.  I got the part number:  Teleflex SSC 14215 but can not find any replacements with that part number.  Part number was hard to read but we've read it on 3 occasions.  Any info on a part number for this would be appreciated.  I can call the dealer but would like to try to buy it from a mail order house.

Thanks

Fil

https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/resourcelibrary/MalibuBoatsfitchart.pdf

look at this chart and either get one from Bakes or SkiDim.  I did mine this year and it was a nice change - the last 2 numbers are the length so you probably need - SSC15419

the only thing that seems weird to me is the old cables were ssc134 and not ssc142 - it wonder if the old owner put an odd ball cable in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply everyone.  So gary_tenison... what is the best way to pull the new one thru?  I saw on You tube cut cable at the rack and the old/new was attached with duct tape then pulled from the bow to stern.  Is there a better recommendation?  I'm thinking really want flexibility and assurance the two won't come separated. 

Thanks

Fil

^tape/zip tie the new to the old and pull through.  Go from the back to the front, that's what i did and it took no time at all.  Only thing is that on my boat the cable wasn't zip tied everywhere.

Sorry to jump in, and this is a little long, but this is how I have done it.

Mark or take a few photos of how the cable is connected to the helm, the position of the rudder arm, and the position of the steering wheel before removal so the new cable gets installed the same way.

If the cable still moves, disconnect it from the rudder arm, turn the steering wheel to retract the cable end to make it as short as possible, completely loosen the nut on the aft steering tube, and remove the four bolts holding the cable rack to the helm.  If the cable will not move, I cut it just forward of the steering tube nut.

Attach a small rope or line to the aft eyelet end of the cable and place a clamp or vice-grip locking pliers on the rack teeth at the helm of the cable so the aft cable end can not extend as you pull on it.  If the cable was cut, just tape the rope securely to the aft end of the cable near the cut.  Make sure there is nothing attached or zip tied to the cable, like wiring or hoses.  Remove the cable from the helm side, pulling the rope through with it.  Sometimes it is easier to access by removing helm kick panels or the helm seat, depending on the boat.

Push the aft end of the new cable in to make it as short as possible and attach the clamp to the rack teeth just tight enough to prevent the aft end from moving when you pull on it.  Tape the large steering tube nut on the aft of the cable to prevent it from moving when the cable is being installed.  Attach the rope to the aft cable end eyelet and pull the rope from the aft of the boat as the cable is being fed back down through the hull or stringer (it is much easier with two people).  Spraying the cable with a light coat of silicon lube sometimes makes it easier to slide it back down through the hull.

When you get the cable to the steering tube, apply a light coat of waterproof grease to the cable end, slide it through the tube, remove the tape from the nut and tighten it to the tube.  Remove the clamp from the rack teeth, attach the cable end eyelet to the rudder arm, attach the helm cable to the steering.  Check your marks or photos to make sure everything is connected as it was before (assuming it was all attached correctly before you started, or coarse).

Check that the rudder steers in the correct direction when the wheel is turned, that is steers full range in both directions and is smooth.

Hope this helps.