Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing 23LSV

DennisJK

2 hours ago, german88 said:

Found this:  https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/F-150/2017/C14017.html?vehicleid=201733001

For $160 it's cheap insurance and get's true class IV ratings...

The WDH impacts not only the hitch carry rating, but the weight on the front tires, which impacts braking and steering.  I would just pay attention to how the tow vehicle handles in low-traction conditions and roads with sweeping downhills, for example, if you are exceeding the carry-rating on the hitch without adding weight distribution.  It is probably not a huge concern, but a little caution and awareness and slowing down goes a long way when towing heavy in poor conditions.  

I have no problems towing my 23lsv with my Lexus LX570.  The landcruiser chassis is overbuilt and seems to handle the load just fine.  The hydraulic height control adjusts for the weight and Toyota reliability is a nice for confidence.  Bonus is when we are not towing it’s super comfortable and easy for the wife to maneuver around the grocery store parking lots. 

9 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

The WDH impacts not only the hitch carry rating, but the weight on the front tires, which impacts braking and steering.  I would just pay attention to how the tow vehicle handles in low-traction conditions and roads with sweeping downhills, for example, if you are exceeding the carry-rating on the hitch without adding weight distribution.  It is probably not a huge concern, but a little caution and awareness and slowing down goes a long way when towing heavy in poor conditions.  

Great point and definitely has me concerned.  If I feel uncomfortable with the way it handles I'll go to plan B.  Airbags went on without issue tonight.  At least it'll be level... 

IMG_2281[1].JPG

• 5 months later...

I thought I circled back on this topic awhile back, but i guess i didn't hit SUBMIT. (Sigh)

I wanted to thank everyone that told me to check out the Expeditions, because that led me to my ultimate choice. I ended up driving MANY big SUVs, this is just my opinion....   I made a couple offers on 2018 Escalade ESVs, but the salesman wouldn't go for my very fair offers. (at least i thought they were fair...)

I began to get frustrated and couldn't make a decision, so i jumped back in to networking with dealerships again to see what I could find.  I ended up talking to a Ford dealer that said they sometimes get good vehicles at the "Ford Auction"  I wasn't very optimistic, but i said "OK"

He ended up  finding a couple Lincoln Navigators for me that were off lease, but still in warranty.  I feel absolutely in love with a 2018 Nav Reserve, so i bought it.   The V6 twin turbo engine amazes me with the power and quietness every time i drive it and the interior is as luxurious as it gets.  Out of all the vehicles i drove, it was the best.  I liked the Escalade ESV Platinum 2nd best, and then the Expedition MAX 3rd,  Yukon Denali 4th.

*** I recommend anyone into large SUVs and boating to at least test drive a Lincoln NAV just to experience the engineering and styling, it's crazy.  Ford really went all out to compete with Cadilac.

-Dennis

• 7 months later...
On 12/20/2020 at 10:08 AM, german88 said:

I've been deep diving into towing our 23 LSV with my 2015 F150 Supercrew 4WD V8 for the past two weeks.  My truck has Fox 2.0 IFP shocks on all 4 corners so "Leveled" and no lift. Running stock 275/65-18 tires 3.55 rear end gearing. Concluded tongue weight is the real limiting factor on my truck, (500lbs w/out WD hitch) & (1000lbs w/ WD hitch) and I suspect the majority of 1/2 ton pickups.  Couple people have posted accurate and almost identical weights for their 23 LSV's w/trailer: 7300 lbs and tongue weight of 800lbs.  Way over the limit on tongue weight and very close to the limit on trailer weight for my particular F150 config.  

Read through countless forum posts and watched many videos on the merits of WD hitch vs air bags.  Consensus is WD hitch is the correct way to distribute weight off the overloaded rear truck axle and onto both the trailer axles and front truck axle.  

I see a few people on here have added air bags but not finding many using a WD hitch on a 1/2 ton rig.  I'm torn as to what approach I'll take.  Would love to hear comments and feedback on setups, what's working and any issues along the way...  

I ordered Firestone airbags before I started my research.  I'll likely install them for now and do a test run to see how things go.  

It is my understanding that you cant use the WD hitch if your trailer uses surge brakes.