Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing 23LSV

DennisJK

24 minutes ago, RyanB said:

So I finally got a chance to drive our Expedition today.  You CAN control the rear heating system from the front.  At least on ours.  Just push the button that says "rear" on the HVAC display, and on the head unit, the rear temp comes up.

I do have a question that you might be able to answer though.  Somehow, the Ex automatically detects if you are towing a trailer, and changes settings accordingly.  My problem is when I do that, it seems that "setting" is now the default.  So every time I start the car, instead of the digital dash being on the speedometer, it is in the towing settings.  How do I change that?

I had to search all over to find that same answer. Go to TOWING - TRAILER INFORMATION - SELECT TRAILER - NO ACTIVE TRAILER. I think it is weird that it can detect a trailer and automatically bring up the settings for it, but it can’t figure out that it’s been disconnected and turn it off.

I know you can control rear heat, it’s just the sync button that I miss is all.

We have a 15 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2. Love it and absolutely no problems towing our A24. One thing I understand regarding the ride quality is that the suspension is fine with the smaller wheels, but everyone upgrades to the 22 and then it's absolute Junk.

22 hours ago, abovewater said:

We have a 15 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2. Love it and absolutely no problems towing our A24. One thing I understand regarding the ride quality is that the suspension is fine with the smaller wheels, but everyone upgrades to the 22 and then it's absolute Junk.

You should try the ride in a 3/4 diesel where they put 35x12.50x 24 tires on 24x 14 wheels. My kids go kart rides better than that truck I rode in, not having much sidewall on a tire is usually the biggest cause of a harsh ride.

Edited by MLBurns
spelling
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for all the great comments, sorry for the slow response.

I am finally circling back to getting my truck replaced with a SUV.  After comments here i am going to test drive an Expedition also.  

Can anyone here share their experiences towing a 23 LSV with an Expedition MAX 2018-2019?

The Expedition MAX seems like it has everything i'm looking for.

I have a 2017 23 LSV currently towing with a 2016 Tundra TRD PRo. 

Thanks,

Dennis

• 3 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 4:10 AM, DennisJK said:

Thanks for all the great comments, sorry for the slow response.

I am finally circling back to getting my truck replaced with a SUV.  After comments here i am going to test drive an Expedition also.  

Can anyone here share their experiences towing a 23 LSV with an Expedition MAX 2018-2019?

The Expedition MAX seems like it has everything i'm looking for.

I have a 2017 23 LSV currently towing with a 2016 Tundra TRD PRo. 

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis,

I'm getting close on a 2021 23lsv.  I currently own a Tundra CrewMax Limited with the 5.7.  While the 2021 lsv is a little heavier than your 2017, looking at the weights of the boat, adding in trailer, gear etc., I believe my tundra will pull it safely.  Everywhere I look says get the 3/4 ton.  Right now that just isn't in the cards for us.  Other than the rough ride and lack of interior room, did you have any other issues pulling your lsv with your tundra?  

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  

41 minutes ago, SandS said:

Dennis,

I'm getting close on a 2021 23lsv.  I currently own a Tundra CrewMax Limited with the 5.7.  While the 2021 lsv is a little heavier than your 2017, looking at the weights of the boat, adding in trailer, gear etc., I believe my tundra will pull it safely.  Everywhere I look says get the 3/4 ton.  Right now that just isn't in the cards for us.  Other than the rough ride and lack of interior room, did you have any other issues pulling your lsv with your tundra?  

My '16 crewmax towed the '18 23 LSV without any issues. Towed 8 hrs. from Austin, TX to NE LA a few times and 4 hrs. up to Hot Springs, AR several times.  My truck has a leveling kit and air bags.  I used the air bags to keep the rear leveled out from the inch or two of squat when hooked up to the boat.  The only drawback was the 8-9 mpg mileage I got.

20190817_124644.jpg

2 hours ago, jwl019 said:

My '16 crewmax towed the '18 23 LSV without any issues. Towed 8 hrs. from Austin, TX to NE LA a few times and 4 hrs. up to Hot Springs, AR several times.  My truck has a leveling kit and air bags.  I used the air bags to keep the rear leveled out from the inch or two of squat when hooked up to the boat.  The only drawback was the 8-9 mpg mileage I got.

20190817_124644.jpg

Awesome thanks @jwl019

I’ll have to look in to the airbags and leveling kit. 

1 hour ago, SandS said:

Awesome thanks @jwl019

I’ll have to look in to the airbags and leveling kit. 

The leveling kit is not really needed, I did it for looks only and squeeze a little bigger tire under the truck.  The airbags, probably aren't needed, but I could tell they helped by stiffening up the rear end so that it is not so soft/bouncy over rough roads if that makes any sense.

Without a leveling kit on the truck, the rear will probably squat just enough in the rear to level the truck out anyway with the trailer attached. 

28 minutes ago, jwl019 said:

The leveling kit is not really needed, I did it for looks only and squeeze a little bigger tire under the truck.  The airbags, probably aren't needed, but I could tell they helped by stiffening up the rear end so that it is not so soft/bouncy over rough roads if that makes any sense.

Without a leveling kit on the truck, the rear will probably squat just enough in the rear to level the truck out anyway with the trailer attached. 

👍. I’ll give it a tow without the bags and see how it goes. Thanks! By the way... you have a sweet looking setup.

3 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Anyone happy pulling a 23 MXZ with a early 2000's Sequoia>

We had a 2-wheel drive '05 Sequoia Limited (with air suspension) when we had an '03 Nautique 206 (20'6" stripped down ski boat with no tower) when I lived in Dallas.   I towed with it, but I can tell you I was not all that thrilled with it.  It floated a bit and porpoised a bit and sometimes struggled a bit on hills at freeway speed.  I was much happier towing after we bought an '07 Tundra with the bigger engine and better frame, suspension and brakes.  

I tow my 18 LSV 23 with a 16 year old Nissan Titan. Boat on Cat scales can exceed 7200 lbs with 800 lbs of that on the tongue, with fuel and coolers all full. My normal 10 mile trip to and from lake is no problem. My trips out east on I40 towards Knoxville Tn is where you notice the load. Those hills that you don't even notice in a car or unloaded truck are a workout with my boat. That being said, I have made the same trip using a 19 model Armada and My old truck is more stable with the load. SUV gave the tail wagging the dog effect at times and that is not fun. I am sure the newer trucks are better but for a 16 year old my Titan is still getting the job done.image.thumb.png.f9a297f6aee1aae3c1d5d99580277a13.pngimage.thumb.png.e24ae548825930739f82d9bc0992352f.png 

8 hours ago, SandS said:

Dennis,

Tundra towing is rated over 9000#.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.  

4 hours ago, Sixer said:

Tundra towing is rated over 9000#.  Shouldn't be a problem at all.  

For anyone concerned with staying "within the numbers", you have to look at more than tow rating.  The limiting factor on a Tundra is its notoriously low payload.  Like less than 1200 pounds for a Crew Max.  Check the sticker on the drivers door.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:38 PM, RyanB said:

For anyone concerned with staying "within the numbers", you have to look at more than tow rating.  The limiting factor on a Tundra is its notoriously low payload.  Like less than 1200 pounds for a Crew Max.  Check the sticker on the drivers door.

Thanks for the advice. Just checked, My 2016 has a payload of 1,500+. 

On 11/18/2020 at 5:26 PM, dalt1 said:

I tow my 18 LSV 23 with a 16 year old Nissan Titan. Boat on Cat scales can exceed 7200 lbs with 800 lbs of that on the tongue, with fuel and coolers all full. My normal 10 mile trip to and from lake is no problem. My trips out east on I40 towards Knoxville Tn is where you notice the load. Those hills that you don't even notice in a car or unloaded truck are a workout with my boat. That being said, I have made the same trip using a 19 model Armada and My old truck is more stable with the load. SUV gave the tail wagging the dog effect at times and that is not fun. I am sure the newer trucks are better but for a 16 year old my Titan is still getting the job done.image.thumb.png.f9a297f6aee1aae3c1d5d99580277a13.pngimage.thumb.png.e24ae548825930739f82d9bc0992352f.png 

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I've been deep diving into towing our 23 LSV with my 2015 F150 Supercrew 4WD V8 for the past two weeks.  My truck has Fox 2.0 IFP shocks on all 4 corners so "Leveled" and no lift. Running stock 275/65-18 tires 3.55 rear end gearing. Concluded tongue weight is the real limiting factor on my truck, (500lbs w/out WD hitch) & (1000lbs w/ WD hitch) and I suspect the majority of 1/2 ton pickups.  Couple people have posted accurate and almost identical weights for their 23 LSV's w/trailer: 7300 lbs and tongue weight of 800lbs.  Way over the limit on tongue weight and very close to the limit on trailer weight for my particular F150 config.  

Read through countless forum posts and watched many videos on the merits of WD hitch vs air bags.  Consensus is WD hitch is the correct way to distribute weight off the overloaded rear truck axle and onto both the trailer axles and front truck axle.  

I see a few people on here have added air bags but not finding many using a WD hitch on a 1/2 ton rig.  I'm torn as to what approach I'll take.  Would love to hear comments and feedback on setups, what's working and any issues along the way...  

I ordered Firestone airbags before I started my research.  I'll likely install them for now and do a test run to see how things go.  

Edited by german88
1 hour ago, german88 said:

I've been deep diving into towing our 23 LSV with my 2015 F150 Supercrew 4WD V8 for the past two weeks.  My truck has Fox 2.0 IFP shocks on all 4 corners so "Leveled" and no lift. Running stock 275/65-18 tires 3.55 rear end gearing. Concluded tongue weight is the real limiting factor on my truck, (500lbs w/out WD hitch) & (1000lbs w/ WD hitch) and I suspect the majority of 1/2 ton pickups.  Couple people have posted accurate and almost identical weights for their 23 LSV's w/trailer: 7300 lbs and tongue weight of 800lbs.  Way over the limit on tongue weight and very close to the limit on trailer weight for my particular F150 config.  

Read through countless forum posts and watched many videos on the merits of WD hitch vs air bags.  Consensus is WD hitch is the correct way to distribute weight off the overloaded rear truck axle and onto both the trailer axles and front truck axle.  

I see a few people on here have added air bags but not finding many using a WD hitch on a 1/2 ton rig.  I'm torn as to what approach I'll take.  Would love to hear comments and feedback on setups, what's working and any issues along the way...  

I ordered Firestone airbags before I started my research.  I'll likely install them for now and do a test run to see how things go.  

I don't think I have ever seen a boat trailer that uses a weight distribution hitch.  Most WDH are not set up to work with surge brakes.  If you are a "by the numbers" guy, your best solution is probably to upgrade your truck (and by that I mean new truck).  And, while I believe if you are towing a lot, a HD truck is a better solution, you can find 1500 trucks that have better tow rating from a bumper hitch than your Ford does.

I am certain the '19 and better GM 1/2 tons properly configured will meet specs.  As far as a WDH, I have never seen one in person, but a few have done it on Planet Nautique.  You may want to call e-trailer for some tips.  It won't work with most swing-away tongues and you might need to convert to electric over hydraulic brakes.  I also would not want a leveled truck if you are maxing out tongue weight; the rake is there for a reason (although air bags would work for leveling).   

@german88, I would haul your boat anywhere with my rather stock 2005 F150 SuperCrew.  I have hauled a 32' camper with and without a WDH, and it had about 1,200 pounds of tongue weight.  Yes, it pulled better with the WDH than without.  I use the WHD on our 20' toy hauler also, and the tongue weight varies due to loading.  I primarily use the WDH for stabilization on something like a big box that will catch the wind, and certainly not just because the bumper says 500 pounds on it.

I have no idea how much weight I haul when I take my tractor and pick up a few big logs to saw.  I try to pay attention to the squat of the truck as I load so that I get the tongue weight about right, but sometimes I miss a little and get a bit of fishtailing over 60 or so.  I usually only haul about 50 miles one way, so I just live with it and remember the next time I load like that.

I guess my first job taught me to just deal with it and go on.  We used to go pick up 25' offshore boats on a shop trailer, with an old Chevy 1/2 ton and just the ball on the bumper.  Sometimes we would misjudge and get so much tongue weight that the front wheels of the truck were barely touching the ground.  We would then drive 37 MPH with a slight fishtail on a 4-lane highway because 38 MPH was too close to instability (if you are a control engineer, the poles began to move to the right hand plane).  Two 16 year old kids, no brakes (that usually applied to the truck as well), no straps, just load and go.  I miss those days.

I'm not advocating that you do it like I do, but the hitch isn't going to fall off if you run more weight.  I'm sure you drive more conservatively when you tow, which to me is the ultimate bottom line.  The more crazy your load, the less crazy you get to be when you pull it.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:26 PM, dalt1 said:

For whatever reason it seems like the newer QX56/QX80/Armanda/Patrol platform isn't great at tow heavy loads.  I have heard this repeatedly and actually followed one pulling a Nautique and the trailer was absolutely in control of the SUV, it was crazy.  Not sure what the deal is, but seems like towing wasn't a design criteria.

8 hours ago, german88 said:

I’m guessing you have a class iii hitch? Have you thought about upgrading to a class iv hitch? On My ‘18 f150 the hitch was the limiting factor. I had plenty of payload but the class iii hitch was a joke. 

13 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I’m guessing you have a class iii hitch? Have you thought about upgrading to a class iv hitch? On My ‘18 f150 the hitch was the limiting factor. I had plenty of payload but the class iii hitch was a joke. 

Yes I've looked into it.  I have option code "53a towing package" with electronic locking rear diff and 7000# GVWR package.  The only difference in the receiver I have and the max tow is where the safety chains mount.  Max tow is angled forward and mine is flat.  Same overall weight and exact same wall thickness & welds throughout.   Someone on one of the F150 forums did a side by side comparison on both and the sticker on max tow has the same rating for non WD loads which is 5000lbs max trailer and 500lbs max tongue and only a slight increase in loads for WD.  All the Ford towing specs can be found in this link: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/20Towing_Ford_F150_Oct15.pdf

I'll install the airbags and call it good.  As "RyanB" and "jjackkrash" pointed out above the WD hitch is a non starter for any late model Malibu swing away tongue trailers so regardless of any enhancements I make, my F150 will never meet the legal standards to trailer over 5000lbs and 500lb tongue weight. 

I realize there are countless F150 and 1/2 ton brands towing similar wakesurf boats safely and without issues so for now I'll join that club.  If at some point I feel it's not working out I'll buy an F250 or something with enough capacity to legally haul 7500 lbs and 800 tongue weight. 

12 had a 2011 Yukon Denali XL and burned up the transmission on a trip to lake powell in 2017.  we replaced it with a 2017 Denali XL and the transmission would also run hot (given my new found paranoia the 2011 created i would check this number more than the speedometer).  The Denali's towed fine, but you have to keep the speed at 65 if you want to keep the transmission temps at a reasonable temp.  So in 2020, i gave up and bought a Range Rover Sport (525 horse) and it tows awesome.  you obviously give up the 3rd row, but adaptive cruise with a boat trailer is heavenly.  and it has gobs of power.