Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing 23LSV

DennisJK

I would appreciate if some 23 LSV owners would chime in if they love the SUV they tow with.  I currently tow with a truck and i realized it isn't for me. I am now looking at SUVs that hold more occupants and has a SMOOTHER ride.

I test drove a GMC Yukon Denali and seemed smooth and has a 3rd row. i'm hoping i can get away with not having the  larger XL model of Yukon, Escalade, or Suburban. thoughts?

Don’t sleep on the Expedition. Super nice.   And, I personally would go with the XL versions.   The non XLs just have very little room behind the 3rd row for things like groceries and luggage compared to the XL.  And assuming you have a crew cab now, the XL is likely still a foot shorter than your truck and still drives much more car like.   

What year 23LSV?   The SUVs will handle them but my F150 certainly towed our 2016 23 LSV better than the SUV and these boats aren’t getting any lighter.   

The 2021 Tahoes/Suburban/Yukons are supposedly completely redesigned and will have the Jr. Duramax option.  At first blush they look like they could be a real and substantial step forward for both ride quality and towing capability.  (Link just an example, I have seen better explanations of the new independent suspension and air-ride system).  

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/tahoe/2021/2021-chevrolet-tahoe-first-look/

Edited by jjackkrash
5 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

The 2021 Tahoes/Suburban/Yukons are supposedly completely redesigned and will have the Jr. Duramax option.  At first blush they look like they could be a real and substantial step forward for both ride quality and towing capability.  (Link just an example, I have seen better explanations of the new independent suspension and air-ride system).  

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/tahoe/2021/2021-chevrolet-tahoe-first-look/

Hope that magnetic ride suspension has had some major updates on it. On the 2015 and up Yukon Denalis and Escalade’s it is pure junk. Like riding in a covered wagon. Even replaced all the shocks and better for 10k miles. Then back to crap. 

So my SUV towing has been with a 2011 Yukon Denali XL.  Probably older than you are looking for.  I've shared my experiences a few times about that tow vehicle, but since you asked.......

I was never happy with the Denali.  My 23LSV pushed it around.  Couldn't really pull it more than 70 MPH.  Which might sound ok, until you think about passing someone on a 2-lane.  I've towed my LSV with a 2014 Grand Cherokee one time, and it felt as or more stable than the Yukon.

The 6.2 was adequate to tow, but both tranny and engine temps got above 250*.  I was told by two dealers and a transmission shop that I should "expect" those temps.  I never felt comfortable with that.

There were other issues I could go into, but the moral of the story is that I gave up on the Yukon and replaced it with a 2019 Expedition Max.  Haven't really towed with it, but it has a higher towing capacity than the GM SUVs.  And it definitely feels more "truck like" than the Yukon.  Not sure if that is good or bad yet.

I personally would not buy another GM SUV after my last experience.  And I'm not yet sure I would want any SUV as a primary tow vehicle.  But I tow a lot, and long distances (probably around 8,000 miles per year with several 1000 mile round trips).  If you can get comfortable driving a 2500, the tow experience is MUCH better.

What truck do you currently have, and why "isn't it for you"?

15 hours ago, spikew919 said:

Hope that magnetic ride suspension has had some major updates on it. On the 2015 and up Yukon Denalis and Escalade’s it is pure junk. Like riding in a covered wagon. Even replaced all the shocks and better for 10k miles. Then back to crap. 

I assume that magnetic ride control will be replaced by Adaptive Ride Control in the 2021 SUVS just like it was on the 2019+ GM trucks? And if so, it is leaps and bounds better than MRC.

2015 gmc Yukon Denali 6.2L 8speed trans, w 127k miles now. Tows our 23lsv awesome. We do several long distance trips a year with it (obvious by the milage) and does great on the climbs. I was a little worried about ths short wheelbase, but it feels rock solid. The 3rd row is really tight and really not setup for anyone over the age of 12 but we have loved it. We've had nothing but success w our gmc's and we've owned a bunch over the past 10 years. 

I tow our '19 23LSV with my Durago SRT. Does great and is easy and to drive around town. More than enough power, big Brembo brakes, and SAE tow rated at 8700 pounds. I tried the big truck thing and it did t work for me either.

Like RyanB we switched from a Yukon Denali to a 2019 Expedition and have loved it and would never go back. We have 6 kids so a truck isn’t an option for us. We do a couple 1,000 mile trips a year as well as pull multiple times over a 8,500’ pass and it does it with ease unlike the Denali. My only two complaints so far are:

1. When we load up the back and have to close the lift gate and then open the rear glass window to finish loading, the window opening is smaller than the Yukon and a little harder to load through.

2. The Yukon has a button to sync the rear temperature with whatever was set up front. I haven’t been able to find a way to do that yet with the Expedition. My kids on the way to school will crank up the heat and then get out and if I go run errands I’m soon wondering why it’s an oven in the car and have to manually adjust the back to a normal temp. Wish I could just sync it like I did the Yukon.

37 minutes ago, vaporbluebu said:

2. The Yukon has a button to sync the rear temperature with whatever was set up front. I haven’t been able to find a way to do that yet with the Expedition. My kids on the way to school will crank up the heat and then get out and if I go run errands I’m soon wondering why it’s an oven in the car and have to manually adjust the back to a normal temp. Wish I could just sync it like I did the Yukon.

Good observation - I don't think there is a way to sync them either.   I think best bet is to just turn off the rear on the touch screen once your kids get dropped off.  

13 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Good observation - I don't think there is a way to sync them either.   I think best bet is to just turn off the rear on the touch screen once your kids get dropped off.  

Its one of the things I like. I set the rear at a normal temp similar to the front. And you can lock it. but I also will drop the rear low for the big dog who loves something like an ice box setting. 

4 hours ago, Sixball said:

Its one of the things I like. I set the rear at a normal temp similar to the front. And you can lock it. but I also will drop the rear low for the big dog who loves something like an ice box setting. 

I do like being able to control the rear from up front and have them be different temps and fan speeds, I just miss being able to sync it all up with the touch of a single button when wanted. Now I have to press the rear control button, hit the down temp a bunch to get it from HI to 73, then press the fan speed down a few times, and finally close the rear control screen. That’s like 15-20 button pushes and I’m a lazy man! 

The other thing GM has going for it is the ability to just have the back on for the heated seats. I did like that. 

Other than that I don’t have much feedback. We have 3800 miles on our Ex. And I bet I’ve driven it less than 200 miles. 

5 hours ago, vaporbluebu said:

I do like being able to control the rear from up front and have them be different temps and fan speeds, I just miss being able to sync it all up with the touch of a single button when wanted. Now I have to press the rear control button, hit the down temp a bunch to get it from HI to 73, then press the fan speed down a few times, and finally close the rear control screen. That’s like 15-20 button pushes and I’m a lazy man! 

Why not just hit rear control then turn it off vs changing its temp?  Less button pushes and if no one is back there, no need to have it on.  

12 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Why not just hit rear control then turn it off vs changing its temp?  Less button pushes and if no one is back there, no need to have it on.  

I have a 3 year old that doesn’t get out of the car with the rest of the kids.

I really love my 2017 yukon xl denali. It handled my 2018 23LSV very well on our 6 hour round-trips and I was pleased with the mpg. We are always heavily loaded with cargo and lead on our trips. 

Early last year I added air bags to the rear coils to help with the tongue weight of my 2019 25LSV. It handles the 25 just fine as well. 

The 6.2 is amazing! I don't love the way the transmission shifts sometimes thru the first few gears but the new ones with the 10-speed I've driven seem to not have that characteristic. I've never seen my transmission cross into the 200s but our terrain is fairly flat.

I'll probably trade that for a 2021 or 2022 yukon xl denali.

Edited by G Spot
9 hours ago, G Spot said:

I really love my 2017 yukon xl denali. It handled my 2018 23LSV very well on our 6 hour round-trips and I was pleased with the mpg. We are always heavily loaded with cargo and lead on our trips. 

Early last year I added air bags to the rear coils to help with the tongue weight of my 2019 25LSV. It handles the 25 just fine as well. 

The 6.2 is amazing! I don't love the way the transmission shifts sometimes thru the first few gears but the new ones with the 10-speed I've driven seem to not have that characteristic. I've never seen my transmission cross into the 200s but our terrain is fairly flat.

Funny we liked the way our 2017 denali xl towed our 25 lsv so much, we bought a 2500 hd to tow it. There is just something not quite right with the way it all worked for us. 

You are right though, the 2018's got the 10 speed transmission and it makes a big difference in how they drive. We will probably upgrade to a new denali xl for just that reason, we don't even have 30k miles on the 17 yet.

15 hours ago, G Spot said:

5 hours ago, asnowman said:

Funny we liked the way our 2017 denali xl towed our 25 lsv so much, we bought a 2500 hd to tow it. There is just something not quite right with the way it all worked for us. 

You are right though, the 2018's got the 10 speed transmission and it makes a big difference in how they drive. We will probably upgrade to a new denali xl for just that reason, we don't even have 30k miles on the 17 yet.

I agree, I like the 6.2 engine in my 16 Denali.  Strong engine and pulls without a problem.  Tranny is a little suspect at times.  What I don't like is the Magnetic ride suspension going out in both the rear and front just past the bumper to bumper warranty at ~ $,1800 for rear and another $,1900 for the front.  AC went out shortly after that and my rear lift gate actuator has gone out twice, once under warranty and once outside.  @asnowman keep an eye on your suspension before your bumper to bumper warranty is up.  Unfortunately, those seem to go out around the 40k - 45k mile mark.  My dealer told me when they replaced my rear's they put in the 18 model because these were a problem that GM knew about and they fixed the problem on the 18 GMC's.  I like my Yukon, but because of these expensive quality issues at low mileage, it will be hard for me to buy another GM product.

44 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I agree, I like the 6.2 engine in my 16 Denali.  Strong engine and pulls without a problem.  Tranny is a little suspect at times.  What I don't like is the Magnetic ride suspension going out in both the rear and front just past the bumper to bumper warranty at ~ $,1800 for rear and another $,1900 for the front.  AC went out shortly after that and my rear lift gate actuator has gone out twice, once under warranty and once outside.  @asnowman keep an eye on your suspension before your bumper to bumper warranty is up.  Unfortunately, those seem to go out around the 40k - 45k mile mark.  My dealer told me when they replaced my rear's they put in the 18 model because these were a problem that GM knew about and they fixed the problem on the 18 GMC's.  I like my Yukon, but because of these expensive quality issues at low mileage, it will be hard for me to buy another GM product.

I certainly will. This is actually my 3rd denali xl. Funny. Its still all the same issues. We also had an 04 escalade version, which was actually 3/4 ton, same issues too, until the transmission blew up. The weird transmission on my 17 is why i probably won't keep it until warranty coverage ends. The cost of repairing it is why i "let" the dealer sell me the add on warranty to fully cover it to 100k miles, for 1000 bucks suspension covered to 100k was a no brainer for me.

I do love that 6.2 though, mash the gas and it gets moving.

I had a 17 Denali Yukon and we really liked it. pulling the 247 the trans tried to run hot, we traded it for a 19 Silverado High Country with 6.2/10 speed and . Night and day difference in drive train and how much the transmission evens the load on the engine. I also have a 20 GMC 1500 with the 5.3/8 speed, it is great on gas but towing a trailer with 6k load it is constantly hunting gears and gets worse towing mileage than the 6.2 does with 35's on it.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:19 AM, DennisJK said:

I would appreciate if some 23 LSV owners would chime in if they love the SUV they tow with.  I currently tow with a truck and i realized it isn't for me. I am now looking at SUVs that hold more occupants and has a SMOOTHER ride.

I test drove a GMC Yukon Denali and seemed smooth and has a 3rd row. i'm hoping i can get away with not having the  larger XL model of Yukon, Escalade, or Suburban. thoughts?

I have a 2015 gmc Denali that I pulled my 2007 23 lsv. Very smooth ride and I especially like the factory air shocks which levels out perfectly when I hook up the trailer. The only down fall is the no storage in back unless you drop down the back seats but usually use the boat for luggage , ice chest etc..,

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 9:07 AM, vaporbluebu said:

Like RyanB we switched from a Yukon Denali to a 2019 Expedition and have loved it and would never go back. We have 6 kids so a truck isn’t an option for us. We do a couple 1,000 mile trips a year as well as pull multiple times over a 8,500’ pass and it does it with ease unlike the Denali. My only two complaints so far are:

1. When we load up the back and have to close the lift gate and then open the rear glass window to finish loading, the window opening is smaller than the Yukon and a little harder to load through.

So I finally got a chance to drive our Expedition today.  You CAN control the rear heating system from the front.  At least on ours.  Just push the button that says "rear" on the HVAC display, and on the head unit, the rear temp comes up.

I do have a question that you might be able to answer though.  Somehow, the Ex automatically detects if you are towing a trailer, and changes settings accordingly.  My problem is when I do that, it seems that "setting" is now the default.  So every time I start the car, instead of the digital dash being on the speedometer, it is in the towing settings.  How do I change that?