Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

22vlx wake hull vs diamond hull

BJWake

Hi Folks. I have 3 kids that are competitive wakeboarders. I’m wanting to buy a new boat and I know they love the Malibu wake. I have a line on a nice 2016 22vlx but it has the Diamond Hull. I know the older Wakesetters with Diamond Hulls didn’t produce big enough wakeboard wakes. Are the new Diamond Hulls better for that? When I’ve talked to dealers, they answer depending on what they have in stock. I’m looking for some real world wakeboarding advice. I’m not concerned with the surf wake. Thanks!

I have the 22vlx in a Wake hull, never ridden the diamond hull but have heard the difference is minimal.  Even that being the case I would hold out for a Wake hull because I already try and squeeze every bit out of the Wake I can and it would just tick me off knowing my Wake could be a little better if I would’ve just got the better hull for wakeboarding.  If your not a Wake snob it may not matter but spending that amount I would want it as good as possible 

My dealer said that unless you are a pro level rider the Wake v. Diamond will not make a difference for wakeboarding.  The Diamond will make a difference at skiing speed.

If your kids want to think they are behind a pro level boat hold out for the wake hull.  They are only young once.  

19 hours ago, BJWake said:

Hi Folks. I have 3 kids that are competitive wakeboarders. I’m wanting to buy a new boat and I know they love the Malibu wake. I have a line on a nice 2016 22vlx but it has the Diamond Hull. I know the older Wakesetters with Diamond Hulls didn’t produce big enough wakeboard wakes. Are the new Diamond Hulls better for that? When I’ve talked to dealers, they answer depending on what they have in stock. I’m looking for some real world wakeboarding advice. I’m not concerned with the surf wake. Thanks!

Big enough wakeboard wakes is relative.  Diamond hulled boats have been around in the V-drive configuration since 2001 and most owners love them.  Even back in those days when the boats were far lighter, a Diamond hull with ballast, wedge, and tower was pretty close to a similarly-optioned wake hull.  The effects of the diamond hull really don't start to matter until you're closer to 30 MPH.  As boats have gotten heavier, this gap has closed further.

To put it another way, I've been on this site and its predecessor since 2003 or thereabouts and I don't remember ever seeing anyone say they wish they'd gotten the wake hull because they couldn't get an excellent wave out of their diamond.

BUUUUT, you can't go wrong with either really.

• 3 weeks later...

I trust our salesman because I bought a couple of boats from him and I was ordering the last one so I could get either but might want to ski sometimes and he said that the wake hull difference would probably only be noticeable if you were a pro wake boarder.