Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WAKESnWAVES

ToddPhoto

Interesting that a Texas company makes these when it is against the law to ski/board/surf after dark in our state.

The Texas Water Safety Act (codified in Chapter 31 of the Texas Wildlife and Safety Code) is the statewide law that addresses general water safety issues. According to section 31.103, you cannot operate a boat while towing a person on water skis (or similar devices like wakeboards or surf boards) "between the hours from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise."

I know this doesn’t stop people but it seems pretty stupid to surf in the dark - plenty of bad things can happen that are totally preventable. 

Edited by Leftlane

Yeah I agree completely. We like to surf around sunset before it gets dark, but the added illumination at that time would be cool. I take it then that you are not familiar with this company? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have not used an LED board but know a couple people who have...it looks cool. We tape glow sticks to board as well as attach several on the life jacket for good visibility. 

Here is a good thread...pics/video showing an LED board in use: https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/other-related-topics/gear-related-items/589997-generation-one-wakesurf-board-led-and-wave-light

I got pulled over night surfing in TN on Norris Lake a couple years back. It was an open section that we fully investigated during day before surfing it at night..... I joked with the DNR officer that I was not being towed since there was no rope, so how could he give me a ticket.... he laughed at me and kept writing the ticket, lol. Just gotta be careful you are in an area you know well and are doing this with sober people. Our mistake that time was doing it near one of the main channels between marina and the bar.... so DNR patrolled it regularly looking for drunk boaters. In following years, have used another wide open spot and not been busted.

13 hours ago, Infinitysurf said:

I have not used an LED board but know a couple people who have...it looks cool. We tape glow sticks to board as well as attach several on the life jacket for good visibility. 

Here is a good thread...pics/video showing an LED board in use: https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/other-related-topics/gear-related-items/589997-generation-one-wakesurf-board-led-and-wave-light

I got pulled over night surfing in TN on Norris Lake a couple years back. It was an open section that we fully investigated during day before surfing it at night..... I joked with the DNR officer that I was not being towed since there was no rope, so how could he give me a ticket.... he laughed at me and kept writing the ticket, lol. Just gotta be careful you are in an area you know well and are doing this with sober people. Our mistake that time was doing it near one of the main channels between marina and the bar.... so DNR patrolled it regularly looking for drunk boaters. In following years, have used another wide open spot and not been busted.

the cove at Hickory star was perfect!!

no way you got busted doing it back there!

On 12/31/2019 at 9:53 AM, Infinitysurf said:

I

I got pulled over night surfing in TN on Norris Lake a couple years back. It was an open section that we fully investigated during day before surfing it at night..... I joked with the DNR officer that I was not being towed since there was no rope, so how could he give me a ticket.... he laughed at me and kept writing the ticket, lol. 

Some of our LEO's will write you a ticket if you drop the rope while surfing. The premise of the ticket is boating on plane while to close to a swimmer. Since you are not pulling the surfer anymore they write it up as a swimmer. 
I have not heard of it happening in quite a while thankfully.

• Like 1
On 12/31/2019 at 11:59 PM, granddaddy55 said:

the cove at Hickory star was perfect!!

no way you got busted doing it back there!

No, it was main channel I was busted...basically going right out of Hickory Star and toward the bar. That was my mistake since they patrol that channel. The cove behind the main channel was perfect and that is where we have gone each time since

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok I ordered a board from these guys. It's being shipped now but here is a link showing what they did. I used a sunset picture from our place on Greers Ferry Lake, AR for the top and then some stock wood on the bottom, with a logo I created for my kids. This guy has been great to work with. https://www.instagram.com/p/B7q9Z42BQ6L/?igshid=tgqnnjb3yq0l

Here is another link showing the board in process before it was fully sealed. https://www.instagram.com/p/B7fJOsmh9-4/?igshid=1tbfxh0ccypz1 and here is one final picture of the board https://www.instagram.com/p/B7rm2iPBM57/?igshid=182kuc7cmwxn5. This guy does really nice work and can customize anything you want. Can't wait to give this a try this spring! 

Edited by ToddPhoto
Typo

One of my buddy does it all the time on my lake. Is a small lake 1600ac and nobody else is ever on the water. We stayed out one time with them, but went in basically at dark. There was nobody out there, but I agree, not for me.