Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat: What should I Get, 23 LSV, 23 MXZ or 25 LSV?

Bman1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

99% of the members on this site agree with your disagreeing. The 23LSV is the top selling towboat in the industry for a reason. Are the other Malibu/Axis models good? Yep, they are all great but not all are great for all people. To state that the 23 isn't class is ridicules but it is his opinion. Owners goggles in full effect here.

Sorry! I came home from a Christmas party and was feeling a little ornery. I think in '19, the 25 lsv sold nearly as many as the 23. 

32 minutes ago, bbattiste247 said:

Sorry! I came home from a Christmas party and was feeling a little ornery. I think in '19, the 25 lsv sold nearly as many as the 23. 

Still feeling it I see. 😄

4 hours ago, IXFE said:

My point was why get the same boat twice? Honestly, who does that?

If my RLX was destroyed in  af reak boating accident (for all you ALF fans out there ) I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  :)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

The 23 LSV outsold every boat in the Malibu lineup.  It’s the number one sold towboat across all inboard boat MFGR’s.

4 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

Just think of the numbers for a 27lsv!! 

14 hours ago, The Hulk said:

Just think of the numbers for a 27lsv!! 

that probably would have happened already if  it was going to!!

so when are you buying your montera?

55 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Come on, man. It’s Christmas. Can’t you just let him have this one wish?

Santa's gonna need a bigger bag!..

Malibu needs another game changer! 😂

Edited by The Hulk
7 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

It is the squared off seats that makes it look less desirable. It doesn't have the contoured seating pattern of the 25 lsv and now the 23 MXZ. Plus, size does matter. IMO, two sets of Rev 10's are overkill on the 23 lsv and the PCM racks don't fit it either. Most 23 lsv that I have seen have one set of Rev 8's and the bungee strap racks.  But without Rev 10's and the PCM racks, a boat just isn't as nice. It's like a 3 series BMW.  

So I was pondering this over the holiday... As much as I try to avoid the boat:car analogies, I starting thinking through this one and, while not perfect, there are some similarities.  Since it's winter, what say you to this? 

Disclaimer: I love all Malibu boats and think all are equally "classy" :thumbup:

• Response = Z Series (niche car built for a very specific use case and beloved by a small but passionate segment of buyers)
  • 20 VTX / 21 VLX / 21MLX = 2 Series (gateway into the BMW line, phenomenal, sporty performance, often owners move up to bigger models from here) 
  • 22 LSV = 3 Series (entry into the mainstream, high-volume line-up)
  • 22 MXZ = 4 Series (similar performance as 3 but sportier, slight price premium, and slightly less volume)
  • 23 LSV = 5 Series (not too big, not too small, just right!  the bread and butter of the line-up, viewed by many as the benchmark in the industry)
  • 23 MXZ = 6 Series (similar performance as 5 but sportier, slight price premium, and slightly less volume)
  • 25 LSV = 7 Series (the big dog, not for everyone, includes bigger base motor as well as some features not found on other models)
  • 24 MXZ = 8 Series (similar performance as 7 but sportier, same base powertrain, slight price premium, and slightly less volume)
  • M240 = This is where the analogy runs out of gas (pun intended).  BMW doesn't really have a hallo car.  If this was Audi I'd put the R8 here.  If this was Mercedes I'd say AMG G-Wagon. :whistle:

So TMC, how did I do??

• Like 3
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

• M240 = This is where the analogy runs out of gas (pun intended).  BMW doesn't really have a hallo car.  If this was Audi I'd put the R8 here.  If this was Mercedes I'd say AMG G-Wagon. :whistle:

So TMC, how did I do??

M240 = i8 

3 hours ago, IXFE said:

So I was pondering this over the holiday... As much as I try to avoid the boat:car analogies, I starting thinking through this one and, while not perfect, there are some similarities.  Since it's winter, what say you to this? 

Disclaimer: I love all Malibu boats and think all are equally "classy" :thumbup:

• Response = Z Series (niche car built for a very specific use case and beloved by a small but passionate segment of buyers)
  • 20 VTX / 21 VLX / 21MLX = 2 Series (gateway into the BMW line, phenomenal, sporty performance, often owners move up to bigger models from here) 
  • 22 LSV = 3 Series (entry into the mainstream, high-volume line-up)
  • 22 MXZ = 4 Series (similar performance as 3 but sportier, slight price premium, and slightly less volume)
  • 23 LSV = 5 Series (not too big, not too small, just right!  the bread and butter of the line-up, viewed by many as the benchmark in the industry)
  • 23 MXZ = 6 Series (similar performance as 5 but sportier, slight price premium, and slightly less volume)
  • 25 LSV = 7 Series (the big dog, not for everyone, includes bigger base motor as well as some features not found on other models)
  • 24 MXZ = 8 Series (similar performance as 7 but sportier, same base powertrain, slight price premium, and slightly less volume)

So TMC, how did I do??

To be fair, anything bigger than the VTX should probably be compared to a crossover or SUV...  :biggrin:

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

To be fair, anything bigger than the VTX should probably be compared to a crossover or SUV...  :biggrin:

It would have to be a pretty small SUV to compare to the VTX. I actually considered the X1 (BMW’s smallest) but didn’t want to muddy the water with the entire X line of BMW SUV’s. 

My 24 mxz is the envy of every 23 lsv owner I've met on the water.  The 23 lsv is the best selling because mid size and price point. 24 mxz performd better wake and wave....if you want premium go with the 24mxz, 25 lsv or m240

I’ve got to weigh in a little bit. We have spent a lot of hours on our 16 LSV 25 and our friends 19 24 MXZ. They both have monster big long waves with amazing push. They both have tons of room. I’d say the 24 MXZ is a more efficient boat with the GM motor than our 6.2 Raptor. The MXZ handles just a little better than my boat.
When we get our next boat, it’ll be a new 25. Perfect waves, great interior, and I don't love the huge bow in the MXZ. We like to be together under the Bimini, it gets hot in Nevada. We will also order it with the bow thrusters to make the turnaround time a little shorter. Overall, both boats are excellent.

I've got nothing against the 23LSV, it’s just to small for our really big extended family. I’m sure the wave is good too. But, the bigger boat is definitely is going to pack a bigger, longer, and stronger wave.

I would personally test as many boats as it takes. A good dealer will treat you right. Have fun picking your new boat.

3 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

I've got nothing against the 23LSV, it’s just to small for our really big extended family. I’m sure the wave is good too. But, the bigger boat is definitely is going to pack a bigger, longer, and stronger wave.

I would personally test as many boats as it takes. A good dealer will treat you right. Have fun picking your new boat.

We demo'd the 23 lsv, 24 mxz, 23 mxz, and 25 lsv this summer. We were looking to go 23 lsv, we had an 02 23 lsv, and really liked it, so wanted to go back to a new 23. All of them produced great surf waves, and had advantages, but it really comes down to what works best for you. 

For us, with 4 kids and little trailering, my wife was convinced the 25 would be too big. Thank goodness the dealer took her and my kids in the 25 while i sat in the 23 mxz. She wasn't taking anything else after that.  The 25 handles great, especially given its size. We really just didn't care for the 24, though it handled rough water exceptionally well. The 23's were both great too, but for literally a few thousand bucks, the 25 was a no brainer for us. 

Go try them yourself, see what feels best for you, any of them are going to be a great choice.

I can’t believe no one commented on the Star Trek Freudian slip. I meant Stern Steer. 

8 hours ago, asnowman said:

We demo'd the 23 lsv, 24 mxz, 23 mxz, and 25 lsv this summer. We were looking to go 23 lsv, we had an 02 23 lsv, and really liked it, so wanted to go back to a new 23. All of them produced great surf waves, and had advantages, but it really comes down to what works best for you. 

For us, with 4 kids and little trailering, my wife was convinced the 25 would be too big. Thank goodness the dealer took her and my kids in the 25 while i sat in the 23 mxz. She wasn't taking anything else after that.  The 25 handles great, especially given its size. We really just didn't care for the 24, though it handled rough water exceptionally well. The 23's were both great too, but for literally a few thousand bucks, the 25 was a no brainer for us. 

Go try them yourself, see what feels best for you, any of them are going to be a great choice.

Great points! I can only imagine how good your 2019 25 LSV is with the GM motor and bigger prop too. Congratulations on that excellent purchase.

10 hours ago, NorNevRider said:

I can’t believe no one commented on the Star Trek Freudian slip. I meant Stern Steer. 

Well if you really want to get it right.......it's called "Stern Turn"! :biggrin:

21 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

Well if you really want to get it right.......it's called "Stern Turn"! :biggrin:

I didn’t even hit the right end of the boat. Pretty nice feature around the docks as well. My wife saw it and started talking about a new boat, God bless her. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

My wife wanted the bow thruster and the dealer talked us out of it. However, I have a stern turn unit in my shop waiting to be bolted up.  By my choice and she agreed. I guess I should have waited a year so I had an excuse to buy a new boat😁

I have a stern turn also waiting to go into our 25.... not wanting to go through the process of convincing the mrs we need another new boat, so just adding the feature....

7 hours ago, asnowman said:

I have a stern turn also waiting to go into our 25.... not wanting to go through the process of convincing the mrs we need another new boat, so just adding the feature....

I picked one up during their black friday deals for our 25 and it should be here tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

I picked one up during their black friday deals for our 25 and it should be here tomorrow. 

Did you order it with the throttle control switch, like on the 2020's?