Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat: What should I Get, 23 LSV, 23 MXZ or 25 LSV?

Bman1

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

I have not quite understood why the 3077 on my Malibu seemed equivalent to the 17 X 17 that came on the G23.  Roughly the same weight boat, similar 6.2 liter DI engine.  Maybe that increased cup on the Malibu prop is what makes them function so similar.  Now @Slurpee has me wanting to put my spare on with more pitch, but less cup and see if it performs better.  Maybe the increased cup does not perform the same as just increasing the pitch.  

I know guys are having hood luck with the 2805 but I had problems with the 2805 at sea level. And the trade off for the little bit of top end was not worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brand new forum and boat owner here. Since we do a lot of cruising and no idea how much time surfing yet I chose the standard 17” prop on our new 23 LSV with the M6 engine. Our salesman typically orders with the lower pitch prop and the M5 I guess for better surfing. I figured having the bigger engine and use more biased towards cruising vs surfing the standard prop was the better choice for us. I have no idea what the standard prop model number is for a new 23 with the M6. Can someone tell me the prop number and did I make the right choice? Our lake’s elevation is ~900’.  Much to learn for this newbie.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

Brand new forum and boat owner here. Since we do a lot of cruising and no idea how much time surfing yet I chose the standard 17” prop on our new 23 LSV with the M6 engine. Our salesman typically orders with the lower pitch prop and the M5 I guess for better surfing. I figured having the bigger engine and use more biased towards cruising vs surfing the standard prop was the better choice for us. I have no idea what the standard prop model number is for a new 23 with the M6. Can someone tell me the prop number and did I make the right choice? Our lake’s elevation is ~900’.  Much to learn for this newbie.

I’m pretty sure the standard prop for the M6 is the acme 3077 (17x15.5). That was the case on my 2019 25 LSV and I had zero issues with that prop. In fact I ordered it again on my 2020. 

https://acmemarine.com/products/acme-propeller-3077

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

You won't regret going big. Pretty sure nobody in the history of boating has ever thought "I wish I didn't have all this horsepower." 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Our salesman typically orders with the lower pitch prop and the M5 I guess for better surfing. I figured having the bigger engine and use more biased towards cruising vs surfing the standard prop was the better choice for us.

Congratulations on the new boat! Post up build pics too.

He orders with the M5 because it’s cheaper but the M6 is the better engine for surfing too, so you’re not making a trade-off between cruising and surfing. Both will be better.

19 hours ago, NWBU said:

Congratulations on the new boat! Post up build pics too.

He orders with the M5 because it’s cheaper but the M6 is the better engine for surfing too, so you’re not making a trade-off between cruising and surfing. Both will be better.

Thanks. I’ll post a build pic as soon as I figure out how (brand new to this forum). Yeah, never a question of going with bigger engine but Slurpee’s experiments has me wondering about prop selection. Tomorrow I’ll be calling Malibu Tech Support to find out prop numbers. There were 3 prop options with the build sheet: low, std and high pitch.. I chose std as the compromise since I expect we’ll spend more hours cruising than surfing.  I’m an engineer so enjoy “geeking” on these details. Cheers

Once you get a little surfing under your belt, you will love it. We surf 100% of the time.  Well...we have to cruise to where we surf...  Occasionally we take a break from surfing and just go for a short boat ride. But we mostly surf. Enjoy your new boat!

On 1/25/2020 at 8:48 AM, IXFE said:

I’m pretty sure the standard prop for the M6 is the acme 3077 (17x15.5). That was the case on my 2019 25 LSV and I had zero issues with that prop. In fact I ordered it again on my 2020. 

https://acmemarine.com/products/acme-propeller-3077

Except you can’t tell if gph is an “issue”. Fuel consumption isn’t reflected in anything you can see on the gauge cluster. You have to be hooked into the CAN bus reading the J1939 off the engine. The prop looks for all the world like it’s working fine without that. The M6 has oodles Of power so it can mask the fuel flow spike at speeds on plane from lack of efficiency.

The question to me is. Why did that 3077 suck in a controlled test? Sample of one? Quality control? Design issue?  Who’s to know till some more of us pick up Scangauges and do disciplined tests and report results. 

11 hours ago, Slurpee said:

Except you can’t tell if gph is an “issue”. Fuel consumption isn’t reflected in anything you can see on the gauge cluster. You have to be hooked into the CAN bus reading the J1939 off the engine. The prop looks for all the world like it’s working fine without that. The M6 has oodles Of power so it can mask the fuel flow spike at speeds on plane from lack of efficiency.

The question to me is. Why did that 3077 suck in a controlled test? Sample of one? Quality control? Design issue?  Who’s to know till some more of us pick up Scangauges and do disciplined tests and report results. 

My first step this morning is to find out what is the "Standard" Acme prop PN is on a 2020 23 LSV order. 

I presume there's an OBD port somewhere either in the engine compartment or forward. I'm seeing several options from the Scangauge to Ultragauge to read the OBD port. I'll get one of these OBD scanners to provide another data point on prop performance..... Once I get our boat.

To OP... hope I haven't highjacked your decision thread too much. It's moved far afield of boat selection intent.

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

After a very helpful discussion with @Slurpee I changed my 2020 order to include the “speed prop” which is the Acme 2805 (17x17). 

Huh...... I actually spoke with an Acme Tech support person this morning. At our altitude (~900') he said our M6Di 23 LSV would do well with either the 3077 or 2805. For us I doubt we'll ever have much more than 6-8 folks in the boat since we also have a pontoon for crowds. I'll probably end up getting a 2805 later as a spare and then collect data. thx 

• 5 months later...
On 1/27/2020 at 6:14 PM, Outlaw said:

Huh...... I actually spoke with an Acme Tech support person this morning. At our altitude (~900') he said our M6Di 23 LSV would do well with either the 3077 or 2805. For us I doubt we'll ever have much more than 6-8 folks in the boat since we also have a pontoon for crowds. I'll probably end up getting a 2805 later as a spare and then collect data. thx 

Did you ever change out to the 2805.  I'm in TN too, so I'm curious of the difference for us being about the same elevation.