Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 LSV 23 Option input (please) - Bimini - Cool touch - 360 light - Icon8s for family surf

Superdice7

I'm trying to decide on a few final options on a 2020 23 LSV build with the 3.5 tower.   I've searched this forum.  I have the 2020 brochure in my hands.   I've sat in front of the dealer's portal.   It appears that my dealer's portal is not been completely updated.   Has anyone found it challenging to try and get everything together and the options laid out in one easy to understand location?    There has to be some disconnect from the factory to the dealer (and I like the dealer).   Does anyone have a number to the factory?  Malibu  really should produce a short consumer video for every option.

1)  360 Tower light is on my build sheet - MSRP $875 is listed under Tower & Accessories.    I have checked the boxes for Docking and transom lights already.   It's not listed in the 2020 paper brochure.  It can't be a navigation light.  Would this be the only interior light if selected?

2)  Bimini - options -  I have selected the Great Lakes flip bimini w Surf storage  MSRP $2326.    I've looked at some videos, and it appears to be a solid choice.  I'm looking for the best design to deploy and put away with surf storage.     Any reason to reconsider and select these others?    CS Bimini Top Extended Gen II Surf $2387,  CS Bimini Top Gen II Surf $1757, CS Bimini Top and Boot w/ Rope Storage (2 pockets) $1419      The portal does not show the CS Gen III Extended with rope and surfboard storage.   I like like the shade, but think the extended may be to big for he 23 anyways.

3)  Cool touch interior.  Likely going to pass.  We're going with the light graphite interior.   We live in the north and we have towels on board.  If it was considerably "higher quality" I'd consider it.  I've found nothing to support that.... yet.

4)  Tower speakers -  This topic has been hammered and it has to do with one's preference.    it's unfortunate that I likely won't be able to listen to them in advance of the order going final.    I'm not looking to "shake the lake" & we'll mainly surf with the some younger kids / families.   2 pairs of ICON8s - 4 speakers on the tower should do it.    If I'm completely off base, and should consider get 2 pairs of Rev8s or 1 pair of Rev10s, I'd like to know.    If I wanted 2 pair of Rev10s it would be roughly $1600 MSRP over the current ICON selection.  I just want to do it right the first time.  I don't want to go stereo delete.

Thanks in advance for the candid input!   The M6di is going to rock.

Edited by Superdice7

360 tower light makes me think the USCG required anchor light, but who knows. The 2020, G3.5 might have a light for the interior on the tower (don't know) and I am pretty sure the GX has an interior light integrated in to it. Might want to call about that. I am surprised air in the tires wasn't a block to check on my '19. I have the CS Bimini, Gen III, extended with the board and rope pockets. I didn't think I would use the rope pockets, but they have been kind of nice to stow the rope in one side and the surf band on the other to dry out until they get reused later. The board straps work, but "I" have to step in front of the tower to access the front "straps" which was kind of sketchy until I put Seadec pads on both sides. Front pockets would of been a little more user friendly than straps, but functional and used by my crew none the less. I personally love and use the extended Bimini all of the time. My wife is kind of iffy on it as she wants the sun where she sits. :Doh: If you have little kids I would think it would be a must. I did not see an option or at least wasn't offered the option for the GL Bimini and might have gone with it for the way it stows in comparison to the CS alone. The CS is kind of a PITA to do by your self, but doable. It is also, IMO not very well engineered and I say this because I have had it apart twice now to retighten and re-Loctite the pivot bolts that keep vibrating out. The front Bimini bars have metal on metal contact with the slider housing which adds to the degree of difficulty and dry film lube only lasts so long. The 2 sets of Rev-10s work fine for surfing for me. My wife wanted more so I upgraded to the new WS amp. Haven't had a chance to tune it or use it yet.

Edited by wdr
1 hour ago, Superdice7 said:

I'm trying to decide on a few final options on a 2020 23 LSV build with the 3.5 tower.   I've searched this forum.  I have the 2020 brochure in my hands.   I've sat in front of the dealer's portal.   It appears that my dealer's portal is not been completely updated.   Has anyone found it challenging to try and get everything together and the options laid out in one easy to understand location?    There has to be some disconnect from the factory to the dealer (and I like the dealer).   Does anyone have a number to the factory?  Malibu  really should produce a short consumer video for every option.

1)  360 Tower light is on my build sheet - MSRP $875 is listed under Tower & Accessories.    I have checked the boxes for Docking and transom lights already.   It's not listed in the 2020 paper brochure.  It can't be a navigation light.  Would this be the only interior light if selected?

2)  Bimini - options -  I have selected the Great Lakes flip bimini w Surf storage  MSRP $2326.    I've looked at some videos, and it appears to be a solid choice.  I'm looking for the best design to deploy and put away with surf storage.     Any reason to reconsider and select these others?    CS Bimini Top Extended Gen II Surf $2387,  CS Bimini Top Gen II Surf $1757, CS Bimini Top and Boot w/ Rope Storage (2 pockets) $1419      The portal does not show the CS Gen III Extended with rope and surfboard storage.   I like like the shade, but think the extended may be to big for he 23 anyways.

3)  Cool touch interior.  Likely going to pass.  We're going with the light graphite interior.   We live in the north and we have towels on board.  If it was considerably "higher quality" I'd consider it.  I've found nothing to support that.... yet.

4)  Tower speakers -  This topic has been hammered and it has to do with one's preference.    it's unfortunate that I likely won't be able to listen to them in advance of the order going final.    I'm not looking to "shake the lake" & we'll mainly surf with the some younger kids / families.   2 pairs of ICON8s - 4 speakers on the tower should do it.    If I'm completely off base, and should consider get 2 pairs of Rev8s or 1 pair of Rev10s, I'd like to know.    If I wanted 2 pair of Rev10s it would be roughly $1600 MSRP over the current ICON selection.  I just want to do it right the first time.  I don't want to go stereo delete.

Thanks in advance for the candid input!   The M6di is going to rock.

We are expecting our 2020 LSV anytime now. We went with the 4 X Rev8s instead of 2 X Rev10s. I am not a big stereo guy. I love music dont get me wrong I just dont need the loudest stereo on the lake. Although not hearing them yet my research was that people who are predominately surfing (myself and crew) will be very happy with 4 X Rev8s. And that 4 X Rev8s are better than 2 X Rev10s. Also an issue I have read is when adding 4 X Rev10s you lose some sitting/head clearance as they drop low on tower. If your doing a ton of wakeboarding it sounds like 4 X Rev10s is your best bet but if just surfing you should be happy with 4 X Rev8s.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

360 tower light makes me think the USCG required anchor light, but who knows. The 2020, G3.5 might have a light for the interior on the tower (don't know) and I am pretty sure the GX has an interior light integrated in to it. Might want to call about that. I am surprised air in the tires wasn't a block to check on my '19. I have the CS Bimini, Gen III, extended with the board and rope pockets. I didn't think I would use the rope pockets, but they have been kind of nice to stow the rope in one side and the surf band on the other to dry out until they get reused later. The board straps work, but "I" have to step in front of the tower to access the front "straps" which was kind of sketchy until I put Seadec pads on both sides. Front pockets would of been a little more user friendly than straps, but functional and used by my crew none the less. I personally love and use the extended Bimini all of the time. My wife is kind of iffy on it as she wants the sun where she sits. :Doh: If you have little kids I would think it would be a must. I did not see an option or at least wasn't offered the option for the GL Bimini and might have gone with it for the way it stows in comparison to the CS alone. The CS is kind of a PITA to do by your self, but doable. It is also, IMO not very well engineered and I say this because I have had it apart twice now to retighten and re-Loctite the pivot bolts that keep vibrating out. The front Bimini bars have metal on metal contact with the slider housing which adds to the degree of difficulty and dry film lube only lasts so long. The 2 Rev-10s work fine for surfing for me. My wife wanted more so I upgraded to the new WS amp. Haven't had a chance to tune it or use it yet.

I remember a photo of that light option.. it is a tall vertical light on top of the tower, can't seem to find the photo.  I think it looked pretty goofy up there.  Think of it as tower lights in all directions (I am guessing you can control if it throws light all 360 or just back, front, etc.)  And yes, the Gx tower has two downward facing LED to light up the cabin.

14 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I remember a photo of that light option.. it is a tall vertical light on top of the tower, can't seem to find the photo.  I think it looked pretty goofy up there.  Think of it as tower lights in all directions (I am guessing you can control if it throws light all 360 or just back, front, etc.)  And yes, the Gx tower has two downward facing LED to light up the cabin.

I think (could be wrong) this is a photo of that light (it replaces the nav light.. nav light is on top of it.) 

I have 2 Rev8’s on my 2019 20 VTX. I went with all factory audio - no non-Malibu components. Two things I can attest to. One the Rev8’s - just a pair with horn-loaded drivers - put out a ton of sound. Two, my son-in-law has 4 tower speakers on his 2015 LSV. People are constantly hitting their heads on the lower speakers, especially me. If you are seated below them you have to be aware they are there.

I went with the light graphite seats. They are reasonably cool. But I also had custom terry cloth covers made. Here are a few pics.  BTW, the transom seats are 1.5mm neoprene. 

The Apex (CS) Bimini is great. I did not choose surf pockets. That is like putting your boards in an oven. Plus they are hard to access.  What I did do is purchase a pair of FCS car roof surf board “racks”, which are padded racks. I cut off the long vehicle tie-down straps and bought some 16” Velcro straps and lashed the pads to the underside of the tower crossbars. The boards strap onto those and are kept cool and out of the way with plenty of head clearance.  I thought I had some pics of that set up but they are no where to be found.  If necessary I can retake them in the spring. FWIW, I had the GL Bimini on my 2013 VLX. I didn’t like it very much and replaced it with the Apex model. FYI, if you need the tower to get as low as possible you will need to have pivoting Bimini mounts. And those only come on the Bimini with surf pockets. I had to purchase them separately from Apex. 

EFF82A7B-E1AB-4F84-88F2-195F4BB944BF.jpeg

E689B1B7-8E89-4C3C-9352-86DADAA11801.jpeg

F66CAEF1-72FA-425C-9306-FB7C45263BDE.jpeg

2018 23LSV here.

1. Not sure on the light, haven’t seen it yet. Without confirmation from your dealer or Malibu directly on what it is, I personally wouldn’t check the box.  $800 can be used for other upgrades.  

2. Bimini - I have the GL Bimini on my current boat, had the CS Bimini on my 2017.  The GL is hands down one of my favorite options on my 2018.  The Bimini is soooo much easier to deploy and store.  I hated my CS, it was suck a PIA. My wife or my 13yo daughter can easily deploy and stow on their own.  Neither could operate the CS by themselves.

3. My seats are primarily light graphite, without cool touch and they do just fine.  I live in CA and have never found heat to be an issue, even at Powell last year with 113 degree days.  IMO, Cool touch might be a waste on seats that light.  I personally wouldn’t check that box.  On the other hand, I plan to go darker (all graphite) on my next boat and will likely do the cool touch. 

4. 2 factory rev 10s here.  I’m personally not very happy with the output, but that has to do with the factory amps, not the speaker.  The factory limits the output on the amps to protect the system from being abused.  Of the options you gave above, I’d  still go Rev10s just for the looks and upgradability later on (ie new amp). 

ahopkins22LSV

Here is the surf light option btw. Forward and rear facing lights off the tower. Navigation lights is raised up to have the surf lights underneath. 

Id pass on it honestly. Then again we never are out at night to surf. Slow cruise if anything. 

FC5BDCA6-08AF-4853-9D1A-18182CD9687B.jpeg

4729ED0F-64A5-4100-A672-0B0FD067E455.jpeg

Thanks for the updates, all.  It’s been some solid feedback!   That last photo of the 360 light  helps.  I seriously doubt that we’d surf at night.    GL Bimini will remain on the build sheet. 

Edited by Superdice7

Stereo - I have the factory 4 x Rev8: They do blow some sound, and they are really, really unforgiving if you knock your melon on them. My buddy has 2 x JL Audio 10"-ers in his Nautique. We did a side by side for fun, and it was basically a tie. If I did it again, I'd reduce the head-knocking possibility and go with the setup that takes less space - 2 x Rev10.

Bimini - is a must in for me. I wish I knew exactly which one I have. Bought one off the lot so I wasn't involved with all the choices. Mine has the pockets, and it collapses into a U-shape, then rolls into a boot. It's a tougher job for 1 person, much easier with 2. Takes about 2 minutes to deploy and a bit longer to stuff and zip it all back into the boot. My boat is sits under shade when parked, so I pretty much leave it up all season. Remember, most of the day, most of the shade is not going to be inside the boat. Sometimes, only 1 corner of the shade is in the boat. That new extended thing that covers almost the whole boat is goofy looking, and there always seems to be a split of sun/shade seekers on my boat. No need for such extreme measures. 

Light - I would have a tough time with calling that 360-light a "surf" light. The laws I'm on don't allow for towing anything after sunset. In fact, the only "ticket" I've ever heard of on my home lake (TN) is for this violation. Is that a common rule in other states? However, we do enjoy some swimming / floating around in the water after dark, and this would be nice. Although, for that occasion, I'd think I'd prefer the underwater lighting option. 

Thanks for the break from winter. Best part about this site in the off-season for me. I'm in my office, but my mind was boating for the last 10 minutes. Back to work. 

Edited by BigCreek
2 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Stereo - I have the factory 4 x Rev8: They do blow some sound, and they are really, really unforgiving if you knock your melon on them. My buddy has 2 x JL Audio 10"-ers in his Nautique. We did a side by side for fun, and it was basically a tie. If I did it again, I'd reduce the head-knocking possibility and go with the setup that takes less space - 2 x Rev10.

Bimini - is a must in for me. I wish I knew exactly which one I have. Bought one off the lot so I wasn't involved with all the choices. Mine has the pockets, and it collapses into a U-shape, then rolls into a boot. It's a tougher job for 1 person, much easier with 2. Takes about 2 minutes to deploy and a bit longer to stuff and zip it all back into the boot. My boat is sits under shade when parked, so I pretty much leave it up all season. Remember, most of the day, most of the shade is not going to be inside the boat. Sometimes, only 1 corner of the shade is in the boat. That new extended thing that covers almost the whole boat is goofy looking, and there always seems to be a split of sun/shade seekers on my boat. No need for such extreme measures. 

Light - I would have a tough time with calling that 360-light a "surf" light. The laws I'm on don't allow for towing anything after sunset. In fact, the only "ticket" I've ever heard of on my home lake (TN) is for this violation. Is that a common rule in other states? However, we do enjoy some swimming / floating around in the water after dark, and this would be nice. Although, for that occasion, I'd think I'd prefer the underwater lighting option. 

Thanks for the break from winter. Best part about this site in the off-season for me. I'm in my office, but my mind was boating for the last 10 minutes. Back to work. 

From our recent 2020 build it was not an option for a single pair of Rev10s. We had to get 4 X Rev10s or none. The only option now for a single pair is Rev8s.

I wouldn't do 4 Icon8s. Either do 2 Rev8s or Rev10s (have dealer install one pair of Rev10s after boat arrives as you have to get 4 from factory). 4 Icons is a waste in my opinion. I'd rather have 2 Rev8s and you'll save a lot of money and head room that way.

25 minutes ago, Suggy said:

I wouldn't do 4 Icon8s. Either do 2 Rev8s or Rev10s (have dealer install one pair of Rev10s after boat arrives as you have to get 4 from factory). 4 Icons is a waste in my opinion. I'd rather have 2 Rev8s and you'll save a lot of money and head room that way.

If you get the icon8s and you want to upgrade one day, they you will need to buy a whole new system including speakers. With the Rev8's, you can update later on with just changing out the amp or something.