Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Monsoon LT4

TriangleT

I ordered the 2020 MXZ with the monsoon LT4 engine.  Anybody had the chance to use this boat with the LT4?  Is it quieter than the old super charged 550 horse and how does performance compare?

Ya I ordered a 23 MXZ a month ago and there was not an LT4 option.  The 550 Supercharged was about an 18k upgrade.  I settled for the M6Di at about 6k.  What is the charge on the LT4?  (I would assume in line with the 550?)

I sure it will be a monster!

Enjoy and congrats.

5 hours ago, TriangleT said:

I ordered the 2020 MXZ with the monsoon LT4 engine.  Anybody had the chance to use this boat with the LT4?  Is it quieter than the old super charged 550 horse and how does performance compare?

I have only had experience in the M240, but IMO it is quieter and should outperform the older supercharged engines. It snatched the boat out of the water with 14+ people and full ballast like it was nothing at all.

I've secured an order for a 2020 23 LSV w/ M6DI.  I'm coming from a 2015 23 LSV w/ 555 Supercharged LSA.  I've been told and read great things about the M6DI -- but I have not been on the water with one yet.  As we are in SLC, UT -- high-altitude conditions apply.  I also spend significant time at Lake Powell -- without the same high-altitude conditions.  So, theoretically, I could order with the high-altitude prop, and purchase a secondary prop for my Lake Powell adventures to gain back some top-end speed.

I'd love to hear any advice or experience as to the LT4 and if anyone thinks it will be overkill for a 23 LSV.  As mentioned above -- MSRP upgrade for the LT4 is approximately 18K.  Surprisingly, that was the sticker upgrade price for the LSA back in 2015.  I would've expected to see a bit more margin there by Malibu after five years.

I know the axiom "you'll never regret having more power, you'll only regret that you don't have enough"  The age-old power question is whether it is worth an additional $13K on top of the M6DI upgrade.  Just a matter of money.

Edited by jammer
  • Like 1
14 hours ago, jammer said:

I've secured an order for a 2020 23 LSV w/ M6DI.  I'm coming from a 2015 23 LSV w/ 555 Supercharged LSA.  I've been told and read great things about the M6DI -- but I have not been on the water with one yet.  As we are in SLC, UT -- high-altitude conditions apply.  I also spend significant time at Lake Powell -- without the same high-altitude conditions.  So, theoretically, I could order with the high-altitude prop, and purchase a secondary prop for my Lake Powell adventures to gain back some top-end speed.

I'd love to hear any advice or experience as to the LT4 and if anyone thinks it will be overkill for a 23 LSV.  As mentioned above -- MSRP upgrade for the LT4 is approximately 18K.  Surprisingly, that was the sticker upgrade price for the LSA back in 2015.  I would've expected to see a bit more margin there by Malibu after five years.

I know the axiom "you'll never regret having more power, you'll only regret that you don't have enough"  The age-old power question is whether it is worth an additional $13K on top of the M6DI upgrade.  Just a matter of money.

As long as you are propped correctly for your altitude and load you should be fine.

• 7 months later...
On 12/19/2019 at 8:16 AM, TriangleT said:

I have the LT4 in my 25lsv and its a beast.... extremely quite compared to the raptor motors and you have smooth power on demand at any rpm range