Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Potential DEF Scam Averted (Diesel Owners)

WETnWILD

Those of you that require Diesel Exhaust Fluid, beware. While in Parker, Az last month, I picked up some DEF at Walmart. I went to put it in my truck and the foil seal was missing under the cap on the jug (red flag). I opened the second jug and it was also missing the foil seal. I was concerned that someone used the DEF and returned the jugs full of water to get their money back. We took the DEF back to Walmart, told the employees the issue, and got our money back. Went to AutoZone instead, and those had the foil seal. It's worth checking before you check out. 

This has been happening since DEF came out. But, the thread is a good reminder for everyone to check the containers before you even walk away from the isle in the store. 

I've even heard horror stories of Walmart putting these bottles back on the shelf. :bash:

Edited by gorilla

If you’re filling from the jugs you need to check the expiration date as well. Yes DEF does have a use by date. 

Personally I’m really not sure why anyone uses the jugs to fill DEF. if you go to a truck stop it’s going to be fresh, you can fill up 100%, and it’s about half the price of the jugs. 

• Like 2
On 12/18/2019 at 2:29 PM, WETnWILD said:

Those of you that require Diesel Exhaust Fluid, beware. While in Parker, Az last month, I picked up some DEF at Walmart. I went to put it in my truck and the foil seal was missing under the cap on the jug (red flag). I opened the second jug and it was also missing the foil seal. I was concerned that someone used the DEF and returned the jugs full of water to get their money back. We took the DEF back to Walmart, told the employees the issue, and got our money back. Went to AutoZone instead, and those had the foil seal. It's worth checking before you check out. 

I had this happen on 2 - 5q Mobile 1 synthetic oil jugs from Walmart . Needless to say it was much easier to identify used oil

Edited by Stevo
17 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

What hose do you use for the DEF?  I only see the diesel hose.

:plus1:  As finicky as these DEF systems are, any residual diesel in that hose would be enough to reak havoc on that system, let alone every time you just need a couple gallons.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:36 AM, Ndawg12 said:

:plus1:  As finicky as these DEF systems are, any residual diesel in that hose would be enough to reak havoc on that system, let alone every time you just need a couple gallons.

Think about how bad the residual def would do the fuel system. 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

know a local contractor who poured 2 gallons of def in the hydraulic tank on a brand new cat d4k2 dozier last year. He realized it and only loaded on lowboy and carried to cat dealer where they unloaded and assessed damage. 150,000 dollar dozier was totaled by insurance company. Corroded the complete  hydraulic system which is also the transmission system on those machines. 

1 hour ago, spikew919 said:

know a local contractor who poured 2 gallons of def in the hydraulic tank on a brand new cat d4k2 dozier last year. He realized it and only loaded on lowboy and carried to cat dealer where they unloaded and assessed damage. 150,000 dollar dozier was totaled by insurance company. Corroded the complete  hydraulic system which is also the transmission system on those machines. 

And don’t put diesel in a Hemi either 🤬🤬Employees 🤬🤬

On 12/21/2019 at 5:23 PM, spikew919 said:

That's Crazy!!!  DEF is like 2/3 water!!  I'd bet the CAT dealer bought it from the insurance company, flushed the system and put it back on the lot for $149K :biggrin:  

11 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

That's Crazy!!!  DEF is like 2/3 water!!  I'd bet the CAT dealer bought it from the insurance company, flushed the system and put it back on the lot for $149K :biggrin:  

It’s extremely corrosive to most metals, especially carbon Steel, copper and aluminum. 

From experience on hydraulic systems In equipment,  If you ever have a pump fail and get metal in the system it’s best to replace every hose and everything. Cheaper in the long run if your in business and figure in repairs and downtime.