Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heated Boat Blanket

Burton167can

Just checking if anyone has any experience with the heated blankets that I keep seeing? I believe they have inlets for your heater tubes and they essentially fill up with warm air. I only have a single a blower would this be enough to fill and warm the blanket?

If anyone has any experience please share. 

I have one, it's for my kids, since there can be some times when it's cold and the rules of the boat and law say they can't take off their life jackets. If they've been swimming and the sun goes down then it can get cold in a wet life jacket; If we plan ahead then we bring spares that stay dry, if we don't plan ahead then we have the blanket.

I'm not the guy who's up before dawn to get the "perfect" water that also happens to be 36° F so I can't chime in on that aspect of the blanket warming people up. It ties in with the extension tube for the heater, so make sure that you have an extension tube, and remember the heater is a heat exchanger/radiator from the engine, so it's not going to get warm until the engine is warm. The air movement will help dry anything that's wet, but the temperature isn't variable. There are 12v electric blankets where the temperature is adjustable and have an auto-off feature, but they're not going to do anything to dry out wet gear.

What's your use case?

2 hours ago, mackie12 said:

I have one! greatest thing since sliced bread!! I went to buy another but they are $225 (CDN) now........too much for a back up one!

Learn to sew.  Couldn't be more than 50 bucks of material.

7 hours ago, timmypop said:

I too was interested in one as I await my first build with a heater. Come to think, why not just order a 12v plug in blanket from Amazon for $25? 

Before you spring for the high dollar heater hose version, buy a cheapy 12v one to see if you really need or will have the demand for the $ one.

17 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Learn to sew.  Couldn't be more than 50 bucks of material.

I did just that.  I received one of the boat blankets for Christmas and though it was small and would end up being ineffective.  I got out a sewing machine and stitched a double layer fleece bag.  At the bottom I didn't finish the closure but did stitch in a hole with an elastic cord.  It closes snug on the heater tub.  All in all its way better than anything I found online.

• Like 2
On 12/17/2019 at 10:44 PM, timmypop said:

I too was interested in one as I await my first build with a heater. Come to think, why not just order a 12v plug in blanket from Amazon for $25? 

On 12/18/2019 at 6:15 AM, wdr said:

Before you spring for the high dollar heater hose version, buy a cheapy 12v one to see if you really need or will have the demand for the $ one.

I don't see how a 12v blanket could possibly draw enough current to be effective.  If you're set on going electric, then wire a good inverted to the batteries and use a real electric blanket instead...having said that, a good down blanket does wonders and packs down into a pretty small area, and no messing with wires.

My buddy has one on his boat. It is awesome! Use it all the time.  The foot pocket at the bottom is nice to help hold in place when under way. I need to put the extensions on my heater and get one, or sew one. My wife has a sewing machine that she has used once in the 15 years she’s had it😜

1 hour ago, formulaben said:

I don't see how a 12v blanket could possibly draw enough current to be effective.  If you're set on going electric, then wire a good inverted to the batteries and use a real electric blanket instead...having said that, a good down blanket does wonders and packs down into a pretty small area, and no messing with wires.

Haven't had any complaints about it not getting warm. Of course I am not out in 50 deg temps either.

Thanks for all the feedback, I see a purchase of one of these in my near future. The wakeboat surfing blanket keeps showing up in my social media feed, I'll probably go in that direction.

Ordered a surf infinity one with the group buy they had back in November for a Christmas gift. Still don’t know if it has been shipped. 
The surf infinity blankets are really nice to be bundled up in especially if it’s a little wet too. 

• 2 weeks later...

My kids love the heater hose blankets.  They'd fight over them, and so I ended up with a 2nd one for Christmas this year. They are definitely nice, and hook up easily to the heater.  

4 hours ago, Sixer said:

My kids love the heater hose blankets.  They'd fight over them, and so I ended up with a 2nd one for Christmas this year. They are definitely nice, and hook up easily to the heater.  

Which brand did you get? Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, mackie12 said:

I have one! greatest thing since sliced bread!! I went to buy another but they are $225 (CDN) now........too much for a back up one!

You could always go for Surfinity's - it is $160 CDN

if it took a blanket to feel comfortable in the boat spring, fall or winter, my wife wont  go,  she says low to mid 60’s isnt even boat driving weather,  spoiled by the south.   Sunday was  really  75/61-62 and super cloudy so we went for a boat ride only, spoiled rotten, should have taken a sess cause this week it got cold again,  we basically have spring already because the grass is starting to grow and plants and trees are blooming

D3B4C490-369B-45AC-ABD4-48F41E806BA5.jpeg

• 1 year later...